Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/4/28 15:09
I was just wondering if anyone's been to the Aqua Garden at the Suginoi Hotel in Beppu. From what I understand, it's like a giant open-air onsen, but you wear a bathing suit instead of going in the nude. Is that a correct assessment? Is the water fed from a hot spring or it just a heated pool? How hot is the water or how does it compare to a real onsen? Thanks for any answers.

http://www.suginoi-hotel.com/english/facilities/theaquagarden.html
by Smithers  

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/4/30 13:06
bump, nobody's been here?
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/4/30 13:46
I couldn't make it yet.

But your assessment is correct.

Is the water fed from a hot spring or it just a heated pool?

It is hot spring water. I don't know the temperature.

how does it compare to a real onsen?

From the pictures, it looks almost identical to the Tanayu baths next door, which are "real" onsen baths. It seems to me that the dress code is the only main difference.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/1 11:36
Thanks, Uji. I wonder if they allow cameras in that area since bathing suits are required unlike traditional onsen? Would love to get a picture of the view from the observation pool.

I won't be going until fall, but I'll be sure to report back with my experience afterwards. Not much information out there aside from what's seen on the hotel's website.

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/1 12:07
I am not sure myself about photos, but I found one blog in which the author mentions that picture taking was prohibited in the neighboring Tanayu, but he published photos of the Aqua Garden, suggesting that it is okay.I would be surprised if it were prohibited.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/1 13:28
Excellent. I don't want to be rude or make anyone feel uncomfortable, so I'll probably observe what the other guests are doing or try to ask an employee.

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/2 11:18
I was at the place last xmas. The pool was warm compared to the onsen next door. I don't know about carrying a camera into the pool BUT you were allow to go in an open area (with clothes on) when the Laser show is showing. And that mean you might be able to bring camera along with you. As for those going in the pool, they have staff standing by the door way to make sure no towel is with you (camera???). Pretty straight too.
I must also mention the dinner and breakfast. I disliked both. They were not delicious. I was so surprised with such famous hotel in the area. so sorry for them.
by lester (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/3 07:24
Hmm, they don't allow towels in the pool area? Do they also restrict you from bringing in other belongings, like a bag? Do they not have poolside chairs or lounges either?

Based on your experience, it seems unlikely they would allow cameras then, except for maybe during the laser show like you mentioned. I was hoping rules would be more like a regular pool at a resort, but with much warmer waters as the difference-maker.

Interesting to hear you didn't like the food. I read on multiple reviews that the buffet was better than they expected. I guess it all depends on the person.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Questions about Aqua Garden Onsen in Beppu 2012/5/4 10:59
There were staffs monitor by the doorway of the pool. They make sure you are holding nothng before stepping into the pool. This one is a bit different from the resort pool side. you shall see.
For real, go try the buffet. I have never disappointed with food in Japan ( I am holding 14 used JR passes so far) over my past experiences. BUT this one is very usually with such famous name. I was trying to eat less on my lunch looking forward to my buffet dinner. BUT so sad. However, I didn't spend a lot on the package as I had the room next to the elevators.
by lester (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread