Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/10 08:47
Hi,

I have been reading about Japan in a travel guide and they said that credit cards are not usually accepted, I have a big problem here because I'm from Venezuela and the only form that goverment accept the use of foreing currency for travels are credit cards and a little cash they give us (less that 500$), my question is, if this is true or if there are some hotels, stores or services that can accept credit cards for example trains or buses and ryokan's.

Thank you for your help

Mey
by Mey (guest)  

... 2012/5/10 09:55
Many Hotels and Business Hotels will accept credit cards. Ryokan is more case by case, smaller ones in general will not.

You may also be able to pre-pay your accommodation before you come to Japan if you book through a booking site like expedia.com

For buses credit cards are not usually accepted. At train stations you may be able to purchase the more expensive tickets with a credit card if you do it at the ticket counter.

Also, you may be able to withdraw yen from an ATM using your credit card:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/10 11:35
Basically all hotels accept credit cards, as do most larger stores (i.e. everywhere but the mom-and-pop shop on the corner).
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/10 14:54
What they said. PLUS dont count on hardly any restaurants accepting them, even in train stations. What they ARE good for is cash advances at major banks. Bureaucratic but doable with passport, patience and sufficient credit limit. And the Hard Rock Cafe in Yokohama, a godsend on a rainy Monday. JR didn't want them either when I had to buy a ticket having overstayed my JR Railpass. Hotels, never have had a problem.
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/10 20:39
Please notice, that even if credit card payment is allowed, your card may sometimes not work in Japan!
I have both Visa and EC/MC, and in many cases one of them is not working:(
by love japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/10 20:43
24 hour convenience stores are everywhere & have ATMs to do a cash advance. 7-11 ATM accepts international cards look at their website the usual suspects are represented:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
Never had a problem using credit cards to buy shinkansen or other long distance tickets at JR green window booking counter, Midori Mado accept credit cards, done it many times. (So for long distance yes for CC, short distance no CC)
Over recent years things have changed a lot, and I see credit cards accepted more widely than 20 or even 10 years ago.
But some diehard traditionalists (eg. little family owned stores, high end sushi places & little local restaurants) won't take a credit card but things have changed a lot, you should be fine.

by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/11 04:52
It's worth notifying your credit card company/bank of the dates you will be in Japan so they expect any payments that you make while there. Some companies will refuse payments from foreign countries (and especially in Asia and Africa) if they do not know in advance that you are in that country. Hence you can run into the problem of cards "not working".
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/11 12:00
Everything Lisa said. Credit Cards are a lot more accepted around Japan these days, especially in major cities. I've used mine at small 100yen shops and even pharmacy/chemists. Most stores/restaurants will have the "we accept these cards" on their window or cash register.

On my trip in Dec I used both cash and CC. Cash for smaller items and CC for large purchases. Didn't have a problem where a store wouldn't accept CC.
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/12 06:26
Thanks for yours answers !!!

You have been very helpful I have to change my dates for travel.
You see is very complicated get cash for travel in here as goverment handles all that have to do with foreing currencies, they approved a limited quantity of money (3000$ for Asia) for travel every year and you have to report them in which did you spent it and for withdrawals you only have 350$ or 400$ per month, this after they (CADIVI) approved if you can have money for travel through you bank associated to your credit cards, so they have to be informed about your travels, thats why I depend mostly from my credit cards.
I will be reading more from this site in order to get all the information that I can for my travel.

Thanks!!!
by Mey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/12 15:45
Agree with all posts about general use of CCs. We were very surprised, though, that although the Osaka Granvia took CC for the buffet breakfast we had one morning and put on our room, (we had prepaid the accommodation) the Baggage Delivery/Forwarding service in the hotel was cash only. This despite using CC at Narita to forward the suitcase TO the Granvia.
So its a case by case issue, but in general, bigger and more expensive then CC more likely: inexpensive, smaller then cash.
Good luck!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/12 15:52
Osaka Granvia took CC for the buffet breakfast we had one morning and put on our room, (we had prepaid the accommodation) the Baggage Delivery/Forwarding service in the hotel was cash only. This despite using CC at Narita to forward the suitcase TO the Granvia.
So its a case by case issue, but in general, bigger and more expensive then CC more likely: inexpensive, smaller then cash.

It is pretty common to have to pay cash for delivery services at hotels. This is probably because the hotel is collecting on behalf of the delivery company (and will pass the payment directly on to them) rather than you paying the service directly like at the airport.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/12 20:22
Thanks yllwsmrf: was wondering about that!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Cards in Japan 2012/5/12 22:37
Probably won't matter to budget travelers but in case anyone goes out for a big splurge;
Beware some traditional high-end, uber expensive places - talking Michelin level Sushi or some very traditional places will just scribble the total on a piece of paper in kanji and you must pay cash.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread