Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gion Matsuri 2012 2012/5/15 00:02
Hi

ILm planning to attend the Gion Matsuri this year in Kyoto. Since I also want to catch the Obon Matsuri in Tokyo, I will not be in Kyoto before the 17th of July (which is the day of the big parade). However, I have recently discovered that the parade starts at 9 am, not 1pm as I originally thought. This means ILll miss at least half the parade or more. So my question is: What happens after the parade? Is there anything going on that evening, or should I try to reschedule my trip? ILm under the impression that the 14th, 15th, and 16th are the major festival nights. What are your experiences with Gion Matsuri?

Thanks for helping :)
by Sara (guest)  

Re: Gion Matsuri 2012 2012/5/15 09:23
The parade is a must-see, and the floats and traditions are amazing, but I personally found the evening festivities on the 16th most interesting. It is also possible to see the floats up close on the 16th. I have not been there in the evenings of the 14th and 15th, but considering that this year they fall on a Saturday and Sunday, I would expect them to be very lively and attractive.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Gion Matsuri 2012 2012/5/15 10:36
Also keep in mind that while the parade starts at 9, people begin claiming spots much earlier. When I went last year, we arrived at 7 in the morning. By that time, all of the premium spots (the ones where you can see the floats turned 90 degrees) were already taken. We managed to find a spot further down the road where we could still see it happen, but by the time the parade started there was no chance for new arrivals to see the parade except between other people's heads.

That being said, one option may be to try to find a place at the end of the parade route. The parade will arrive later there and you can still see everything.
by xyz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gion Matsuri 2012 2012/5/16 03:21
Thanks for the advice :)

Does anyone know what happens on the night of the 17th?
by Sara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gion Matsuri 2012 2012/5/16 08:02
I am not aware of anything special happening on the evening of the 17th.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread