Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/5/16 12:39
We just realised we are going to miss the Sumo Tournament in July 2012 at Aichi. Despite travelling from Osaka - Nara - Kyoto - Hakone - Tokyo, we actually miss out on stopping by Aichi for the sumo match. There is an option to shuffle all the hotel plans in Hakone and Tokyo but this can proof to be very troublesome, so I'm hoping there's an alternative.

Tues 17/7 - Kyoto
Wed 18/7 - Kyoto
Thu 19/7 - Hakone
Fri 20/7 - Hakone
Sat 21/7 - Tokyo
Sun 22/7 - Tokyo - Last day of
Mon 21/7 - Tokyo - Any chance to visit a sumo stable in Tokyo?
Tues 24/1 - Tokyo - Any chance to visit a sumo stable in Tokyo?

It's a 2.5 hour one way from Tokyo to Aichi and it will cost us about 32,000 Yen ($403 AUD) per person for train tickets and box seat tickets to watch the sumo match in Aichi.

Suggestions welcome please! :)
by Alicia (guest)  

... 2012/5/16 14:05
I would recommend you go to the actual tournament, rather than just try and do a stable visit.

You have a few options:-

Shuffle Hakone/Tokyo hotels and visit tournament on 19/7.

Drop something in Kyoto and go to Nagoya in the afternoon of 18/7 so that you arrive at around 3pm for the tournament. Return to Kyoto once the tournament finishes at 6pm.

Leave Kyoto in the afternoon of the 19th and go to the tournament on the 19th, then leave after tournament finishes (6pm) and arrive late at Hakone. This may be an issue with food etc depending on where you are staying in Hakone. Note that you won't really lose too much time in Hakone as you could move whatever you planned to do in Hakone to the 21st if you wish.

I assume you depart from Tokyo, so in general a JR Pass does not pay off, but if you purchased a JR Pass you could easily do the Tokyo - Nagoya and return trip for the tournament on 21/7 or 22/7. This would not add a huge amount to your transport costs assuming you planned on using the Shinkansen for Kyoto - Hakone - Tokyo. It would also save you either getting from Kansai to Kyoto or Tokyo to Narita/Haneda. You could also use the JR Pass to save you a small amount of money travelling around Tokyo itself.

It's a 2.5 hour one way from Tokyo to Aichi and it will cost us about 32,000 Yen ($403 AUD) per person for train tickets and box seat tickets to watch the sumo match in Aichi.

Obviously, whether you get a box seat or not is personal preference, I would just get an arena seat and save the money, but I guess a box seat in section A would be nice if you don't mend spending the extra.

Note that tickets go on sale tomorrow. If you plan on getting a box seat I'd buy early (esp if you want Sat/Sun). We used buysumotickets and they were great to deal with when we went.
http://www.buysumotickets.com/

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2012/5/16 14:21
Despite travelling from Osaka - Nara - Kyoto - Hakone - Tokyo,

Can you elaborate on the rest of your itinerary prior to Kyoto? ie what is your entire itinerary?

Another option is to just day trip from Osaka to Nagoya for the tournament on one of the earlier days. If you do this I would recommend purchasing the Kintetsu Rail Pass (3700 yen - very good value) and using it for the return journey from Osaka to Nagoya.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html

If you purchase the Kintetsu Pass it would also save you a small amount on your trip to Nara, and possibly save you moving on to Kyoto.

This all assumes you stay in Osaka for the first few days of course.

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/5/16 14:23
Thank you so much for the recommendations.

I had a play with our itinerary and are now leaning towards the option of going from Kyoto - Aichi - Hakone on Thurs 19. It does look like we have to skip dinner at the ryokan - http://english.ichinoyu.co.jp/gora/index.html.

The good news is that tickets are on sale tomorrow!

Questions now are:

- What time is the best time to watch the Sumo match? I note they start early and I'm not sure if I can sit through the whole day.

- Which baggage transfer service can I use to move my luggage from Kyoto (near Shijo) to Hakone (Gora), and how long do they take / cost to deliver 1 big backpack and 1 small check-in luggage?

- We are thinking of box seats B or C (cause my bf wants to make sure he gets a good view and true experience). What is an arena seat? The seat plan at aichi seems to split between box seat and chair seats only.

P/S We aren't using the JR Rail Pass. It doesn't seem to work out for us. :)
by Alicia (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/5/16 14:32
Just note that I posted another post re: day trip from Osaka just before you posted, just making sure you read it! Day trip from Osaka may be the best option as you will be able to enjoy your Hakone Ryokan more.

- What time is the best time to watch the Sumo match? I note they start early and I'm not sure if I can sit through the whole day.

Basically they progress through the Sumo ranks starting with the low level guys in the morning, the "main show" starts at 3pm or so.
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/honbasho_ichi_nichi/index.html

I'd try and get there before 2:30pm, maybe around 1:30pm would be fine.

- Which baggage transfer service can I use to move my luggage from Kyoto (near Shijo) to Hakone (Gora), and how long do they take / cost to deliver 1 big backpack and 1 small check-in luggage?

Ask your hotel reception as it is a pretty standard procedure. Not sure on pricing but I would expect around 1900 yen per piece and next day delivery.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

- We are thinking of box seats B or C (cause my bf wants to make sure he gets a good view and true experience). What is an arena seat? The seat plan at aichi seems to split between box seat and chair seats only.

If I was getting a box I'd probably just get box A, as I'd rather either be close and pay or further away and not.
http://www.buysumotickets.com/uploads/nagoya_seating.jpg

Hope this helps!

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/5/16 15:20
Hi
The 30 of June, 1,9 and 10 of July ILm going to be at Tokyo I would like to see sumo match or exhibition, do you know any sumo school that I could visit? Thank you very much
by Ainhoa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/5/16 15:46
Hi again, your recommendations are great! I explored the option to go to Nagoya on the day when I'm visiting Nara on a day trip en route to Kyoto. It appears that to get from Nara to Nagoya that I have to go via Kyoto anyway, so I may as well leave my bag there instead of lugging it around.

Tickets wise, it appears that I will only use the Kintetsu twice so I'm not sure if the Kintetsu rail pass will be worth it at 3,700Y.

I do intend to get the Osaka Unlimited Pass when I am in Osaka. Now that the Shinkasen between Kyoto and Nagoya will cost us already ~ $140 AUD alone, I wonder if it is worth getting a JR Rail Pass.

Sat 14/7 - Osaka (arrive 8pm)
Sun 15/7 - Osaka

Mon 16/7 -
9.00 am - Train Osaka to Nara (Kintetsu) - 540Y (~$7 AUD)
9.30 am - Explore Nara 3 hours (leave bag at station)
1.00 pm - Train Nara to Kyoto (Kintetsu) - 1,110Y (~$14)
1.30 pm - Leave bag at Kyoto Station
2.15 pm - Train Kyoto to Shiyakusho - 5,870Y (~$73 AUD)
3.15 pm - Sumo match !!!!
6.30 pm - Train Shiyakusho to Kyoto - 6,080Y (~$76 AUD)
7.30 pm - Pick up bag at Kyoto Station
- Cab or subway to Shijo / Karasuma hotel

Tues 17/7 - Kyoto
Wed 18/7 - Kyoto
Thu 19/7 - Hakone - Get time to see a bit of Hakone as planned, and enjoy ryokan dinner and hot spring bath :)
Fri 20/7 - Hakone
Sat 21/7 - Tokyo
Sun 22/7 - Tokyo
Mon 21/7 - Tokyo
Tues 24/1 - Tokyo

... 2012/5/16 16:21
If it was me I'd do the Sumo on the 15/7 Sunday using the Kintetsu Rail Pass. You understand this is 3700 yen and gets you from Osaka to Nagoya and back? You don't need to go via Kyoto. Then do Nara on the Monday on the way from Osaka to Kyoto. Note that Osaka - Nara - Kyoto can be covered by the Kintetsu Rail Pass too. If you have more things you want to see in Osaka you could also do Osaka - Nara - Osaka - Kyoto on the Monday.

If you want to see timetables from Osaka to Nagoya use Hyperdia and "Osaka-Namba" and "Shiyakusho" and untick "JR Japan Railway" under search options.

Alternatively, if you do want to attempt it on the Monday combined with Nara you can use the Kintetsu Rail Pass and go from KintetsuNara station to KintetsuNagoya (and then on to Shiyakusho). I would not recommend this though as it won't give you enough time in Nara as you have to leave around 11am to get to Shiyakusho by 2:30pm.

Nara is much easier to combine with Osaka.

Also, there will possibly be slightly better atmosphere at the Sumo on the 15/7 compared to the 16/7.

Hope this helps!

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/5/16 16:55
Thanks again. I'll need to think again! :)

So Kintetsu is not covered by Japan Railpass?

... 2012/5/16 16:59
So Kintetsu is not covered by Japan Railpass?

Correct!

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/6/1 05:57
Hi
The 30 of June, 1,9 and 10 of July ILm going to be at Tokyo I would like to see sumo match or exhibition, do you know where can I see it? Thank you very much

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/6/1 06:24
@ainhoa
There is a Sumo Tournament in Nagoya from July 8-22. http://sumo.pia.jp/en/sumo07.jsp
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: Sumo Stable late July 2012 2012/6/1 15:28
Hi!!
On the 9 of July I am moving from Kyoto to Tokyo, I am thinking to do Kyoto-Nagoya-Tokyo with JR Pass to see the tournament, do you think that is a good idea? Can you tell me which is the best way to go (the nearest station from tournament)? Thank you very much

... 2012/6/4 09:45
On the 9 of July I am moving from Kyoto to Tokyo, I am thinking to do Kyoto-Nagoya-Tokyo with JR Pass to see the tournament, do you think that is a good idea?

Yes, sounds like a very good idea.

Can you tell me which is the best way to go (the nearest station from tournament)?

It is mentioned in this thread, the station you want is Shiyakusho.
Small map:-
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/honbasho_joho/nagoya.html

The JR pass won't get you to Shiyakusho from JR Nagoya but it should be relatively cheap (230 yen or so) to get there. As always you can use Hyperdia for timetables/fares.

Enjoy your Sumo!

reply to this thread