Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/5/19 15:51
Hi!
I know this is still far ahead but I am visiting Japan Apr 12th-25th and planning to do the Alpine route after a few days in Tokyo. I read that Alpico Bus has a 2-Day and 4-Day Bus Passes to Enjoy Kamikochi and Beyond. I read that it is extended till March 2013. If it is extended further I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me see whether it is cheaper to get the pass for my route. Below is my itinerary - dates, destinations, mode of transportation and pricing :

16th Tokyo - Matsumoto : Alpico OR Keio Bus(2,975yen**)
17th Matsumoto - Takayama : Nohi Bus (3,100yen)
18th Takayama - Hida Furukawa : JR Takayama Line (460yen(Ret)
19th Takayama - Kanazawa : Nohi Bus (Stopover in Shirakawago) (4,200yen)
22nd Kanazawa - Toyama : JR LTD.EXP THUNDERBIRD 1(950yen)
23rd Toyama - ShinanoOmachi-6 modes of transportation (Non JR)(10,560yen)
23rd S' Omachi - Matsumoto : JR Oito Line (650yen)
24th Matsumoto - Shinjuku : Alpico OR Keio Bus(2,975yen)
**Block of 2 tickets pricing divided by 2 for use on return journey.

Secondly, I have an additional day to spare. Would you be able to recommend whether I should extend another night somewhere (amongst my current destinations) or add another destination? Perhaps an Onsen Village that is near or along the route? However, for the Onsen Village, I would like somewhere that is not remote and has something else to see, like small shops, scenery, and easily accessible.
Currently I plan to stay Matsumoto 1 night -Takayama 2 nights - Kanazawa 3 nights - Toyama 1 night - Matsumoto 1 night. I will fly in and out of Tokyo, thus the loop route.

Thanks!
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/5/19 18:17
I think this is the pass you are referring. It allows you to make the price comparison:
http://www.alpico.co.jp/mrc/tickets/pdf/wide20100730e.pdf

Secondly, I have an additional day to spare. Would you be able to recommend whether I should extend another night somewhere (amongst my current destinations) or add another destination? Perhaps an Onsen Village that is near or along the route?

Too bad you don't like remote onsen villages. The Okuhida Region has great onsen and ryokan and would fit very well into your itinerary, but it is remote and has little entertainment beyond onsen and scenery. Hirayu has some shopping:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5940.html

Gero is a larger onsen town with more activities, but I personally am not fond of it:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5990.html

The Kiso Valley could be an additional destination:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6075.html

Kanazawa has lots to offer. An additional day there would certainly be justified.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/6/8 05:01
Thanks Uji, for bringing my attention to Okuhida Onsen. Hirayu Onsen, Fukuji Onsen and even Shin Hotaka seem very nice and not too remote. I don't want those that you need to hike to reach :-0

Amongst Hirayu, Fukuji and Shin Hotaka, which has more to offer in terms of scenery and activities like quaint shops? Unfortunately I will be too early for Kamikochi...

I read that Fukuji has a morning market as well as Moraiyu. While you mentioned that Hirayu has a bit of shopping...

I am looking at these Ryokans (rate/person):

Hirayu Onsen:
HIRAYUNOMORI - Y 8,000
OKADA RYOKAN - Y14,700
HIRAYUKAN - Y10,500
HIRATAKAN - Y11,700
KUTSUROGI - Y15,000
NOYAYUU TANAKA RYOKAN - Y12,600

Fukuji Onsen:
RYOKAN SANSUI - Y10,000

Shin Hotaka:
YARIMIKAN - Y16,000

Would anyone be able to give me recommendation on which of the ryokans are good? I like ones with beautiful rotenburo, traditional and small but serve good meals.

Thanks
Mel
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/6/8 08:18
Amongst Hirayu, Fukuji and Shin Hotaka, which has more to offer in terms of scenery and activities like quaint shops?

Shin-Hotaka has the best scenery, but the others are not bad either in terms of scenery. Hirayu is the only with some shops/ Fukuchi has a morning market, but no shops except for the souvenir shops in the ryokan. Shin-Hotaka is more a spread out collection of ryokan. There is no town feeling to it, and there are no shops - again except for the souvenir shops in the ryokan.

I am looking at these Ryokans (rate/person):

Unfortunately I have not stayed at any of these ryokan and can't comment.

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/6/8 12:13
Hi Uji,

May I know what kind of shops are there in Hirayu? Quaint interesting ones?

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/6/8 12:15
Also, is Moraiyu confined to only Fukuji Onsen?

Re: Hietsu Itinerary plus transport 2012/6/8 13:29
May I know what kind of shops are there in Hirayu? Quaint interesting ones?

I don't know. But frankly I have the feeling there is not much beyond the typical souvenir shops.

Also, is Moraiyu confined to only Fukuji Onsen?

I think so, but I am not sure. By the way, it is usually romanized "Fukuchi".

reply to this thread