Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/3 13:15
If I buy JP East pass (3 days) & Hokkaido Pass, Do you think I can go from Tokyo station to Sapporo Station overnight.
by jyama12  

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 08:51
The direct trains night trains between Tokyo and Sapporo (Hokutosei and Cassiopeia) are not fully covered by the passes, so you will have to pay a supplement. But if you are taking trains that are covered, e.g. the Tohoku Shinkansen to Aomori and then the Hamanasu overnight train to Sapporo, the passes will cover your entire trip.

Also, note that the Hokkaido Rail Pass voucher cannot be exchanged to the actual pass outside of Hokkaido. BUT, it is possible to buy the Hokkaido Rail Pass at Narita Airport. This is what you would have to do in order to own a valid Hokkaido Rail Pass before entering Hokkaido. The details are here:
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/rail02.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 13:40
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I would like to make sure my understanding.

1)Are you sure I can buy JR Hokkaido Pass at Narita Airport and exchange the pass immediately?

2) If I use both JR East Pass and Hokkaido Pass together, How much I need to pay more for overnight train? ( I can accept only seat only, no need bed)

3) If I am ready to go to Wakkanai, Is there any shinkansen I can take? Do you think I can go there and return within one day?

Thank you.
by jyama12 rate this post as useful

... 2012/6/4 13:56
1)Are you sure I can buy JR Hokkaido Pass at Narita Airport and exchange the pass immediately?

Did you click on the link that Uji supplied ?? Yes, you can buy it at Narita.

2) If I use both JR East Pass and Hokkaido Pass together, How much I need to pay more for overnight train? ( I can accept only seat only, no need bed)

As mentioned if you take a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Aomori and then take the Hamanasu train from Aomori to Sapporo then there will be no extra charge. This assumes you can actually book a seat and it is not sold out.
For the other trains direct from Tokyo the surcharges are detailed here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html

3) If I am ready to go to Wakkanai, Is there any shinkansen I can take? Do you think I can go there and return within one day?

There are no Shinkansen in Hokkaido.

You can use Hyperdia to look up timetables:-
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Sapporo to Wakkanai is roughly 5 hours. If you leave at 7:48am you get to Wakkanai at 12:47pm.

The return train usually leaves at 4:51pm. I guess you could day trip but you may wish to stay overnight.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 14:01
If I buy Japan Rail Pass for 7 days, Can I take the line of 特急 in Hokkaido? When I can not take the shinkansen in Hokkaido.

Actually, last station o fShinkansen in Hokkaido is only in Sapporo?

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 14:13
Thank you again.

I would like to get your advice.

If I am ready to go to Wakkanai, Asahikawa, Around Furano thu tokyo and also return flight from Tokyo, Which pass you prefer me purchasing .

Option 1: JR East Pass (Flexible 3 days) and JR Hokkaido Pass (5 days)

Option 2: JR Rail Pass (consecutive 7days)

Which option is the best?

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 17:39
If I buy Japan Rail Pass for 7 days, Can I take the line of 特急 in Hokkaido?

Yes, except the Hokutosei, Cassiopeia and Twilight Express night trains, which will cost a supplement.

When I can not take the shinkansen in Hokkaido.
Actually, last station o fShinkansen in Hokkaido is only in Sapporo?

Currently the northernmost shinkansen station is Aomori on Honshu. The shinkasen is scheduled to be extended to Hakodate on Hokkaido within the next 4 years.

If I am ready to go to Wakkanai, Asahikawa, Around Furano thu tokyo and also return flight from Tokyo, Which pass you prefer me purchasing .

I would consider flying from Tokyo to Wakkanai, pass through Hokkaido and return from Hakodate to Tokyo by train or plane. Or the other way around. Within Hokkaido, I would compare regular train ticket costs with a Hokkaido Rail Pass. Or if you return to Tokyo by train with a Japan Rail Pass. I would not consider buying a combination of JR East Pass and Hokkaido Rail Pass because of various potential complications.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JP East Pass & hokkaido Pass 2012/6/4 17:56
Thank you Uji. I got it.

reply to this thread