Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/4 18:27
I'm going to Japan from Apr 8 to 12 next year. I'm not a skier but I would like to make a trip to a ski resort to enjoy the snow. I'm considering between Hakuba47 and Gala Yuzawa. Which resort has more snow in April? Which one has a more beautiful scenery? I don't mind the travelling time and distance.

Are there still shuttle busses running from JR Hakuba station to Hakuba47 around those dates, since it is already past the peak season?

Since I'm a non-skier, I can only take the gondola and not the lifts. The gondola only goes up to mid-mountain, unlike the lifts which can take you to higher altitudes. Do you think there is snow at mid-mountain in Apr? I understand these resorts open till early May, but I'm afraid that snow will only be confined to the mountain tops by then.
by Chan (guest)  

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 09:49
Which resort has more snow in April?

They both have about a 1.5-2 meter base. But everything will be covered in snow and you won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Which one has a more beautiful scenery? I don't mind the travelling time and distance.

I think that was pretty decisively answered in your other thread:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+92571

Are there still shuttle busses running from JR Hakuba station to Hakuba47 around those dates, since it is already past the peak season?

No, it seems to stop on April 1.

http://www.hakuba47.co.jp/winter/ja/access/sogei.php

Since I'm a non-skier, I can only take the gondola and not the lifts. The gondola only goes up to mid-mountain, unlike the lifts which can take you to higher altitudes. Do you think there is snow at mid-mountain in Apr?

Don't worry. There will be plenty of snow on the mountain into the summer. They don't open the resorts for skiing unless there is sufficient snow on the entire mountain.

Also the gondola goes like 80-90% the way up the mountain and is plenty high. You probably will not notice a difference between
there and the top.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 10:26
Thank you for the answer. Are there any busses that can take me directly to Hakuba47 in mid-April, either from JR Hakuba station or Nagano if the regular shuttle busses are no longer running? City busses for instance. Does anyone know the where to board and the timetable? Or is the only way to get there in mi-April is by taking taxi when I arrive at JR Hakuba station? How much does that roughly cost? I might have to take 2 taxis being a family of 4 adults & 2 kids. Please consider that I'm also travelling with the JR East pass and would like save as much as possible.
by Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 10:37
I'm also wondering whether Hakuba47 is within walkable distance from JR Hakuba station. Can anyone advise?

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 11:22
If you are thinking about going to Hakuba, then you are better off going to a different mountain than Hakuba 47, for the views.
The goldola at Hakuba 47 only takes you around half way up. Hakuba 47 is linked to Goryu, and if you take the Goryu gondola from the bottom instead, it will take you to almost the highest point there. Also, JR Kamishiro station is within walking distance of the Goryu Gondola (about 1km)
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 11:24
Oh, and Hakuba 47 is about 3km walk from JR Iimori station....

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 11:44
Sandy is correct. The gondola that I was referring to was the Goryu gondola. Didn't realize that I was looking at map that combined both resorts.

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 12:36
Thank you very much Sandy and Yllwsmrf for the very, very useful answers. I've made up my mind on Hakuba Goryu. By the way, I found this map on the Hakuba Goryu website.

http://www.hakubagoryu.com/e/access/index.html

http://www.hakuba47.co.jp/winter/en/mountain/

Can you please confirm whether the Goryu Gondola is located at the Base Centre Escal (which is nearer to Kamishiro station) or Base Centre Iimori (which is nearer to Iimori station)?

Also, if I buy a single day pass, do I still need to buy a separate ticket for the gondola?

Lastly, is it true also with this resort, no ski/snowboard means I can only take the gondola, not lifts?

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 13:08
The gondola bottom station is located at Escal, not at Iimori, which is probably 200m away.

Rather than an all day lift ticket (which includes the gondola and costs 4700 yen), you should be able to get a round trip gondola ticket, maybe for around 2500 yen.

You may not be able to ride ski lifts on foot, but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, it's not that far to walk all the way to the top from the gondola top station.

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 13:28
Also, if I buy a single day pass, do I still need to buy a separate ticket for the gondola?

You don't need a single day pass. You can just purchase tickets for the gondola. They cost 860 yen (one way I believe).

Lastly, is it true also with this resort, no ski/snowboard means I can only take the gondola, not lifts?

I would assume so unless specified otherwise, but you can always ask once their. Also note, that you're not really supposed to walk on the ski slopes. It can be pretty dangerous as you become an obstacle to other skiers. Its also dangerous to descend the slopes on foot, especially near the summit where the runs tend to be the steepest and iciest. Definitely inquire with staff before you attempt to walk to the top.

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 14:50
The top of Goryu is not steep. The section just above the goldola top station is quite flat, in fact.

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 15:27
I see, its been awhile since I've been there. Regardless, you'd still better check with staff to see if they permit it.

Re: Gala Yuzawa vs Hakuba47 2012/6/5 17:19
Thank you very much Sandy and Yllwsmrf for your all your advices. Indeed helpful and I really appreciate. Any good accomodation to recommend, budget and within walking distance from Goryu resort/Kamishiro station?

reply to this thread