Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/4 20:35
Hello, I really need some advice for my summer vacation. between 14 July and 17 July, Im going to stay in Kyoto for Gion festival. after that, I start to use Kintetsu Rail Pass. below, you can find my plan:
1.day: I will go to Iga Ueno.
2.day: Nagoya
3.day: Ise Shrine
4.day: Nara
5.day: Asuka
what do you think about my plan? is it locigal? and can I use Kintetsu Rail Pass all of these trips? if you give some tips, I would really appreciate that. thanks

by inferidii  

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 12:21
It is difficult to judge without knowing where you have to be at the end of day 5. Do you have to be in Asuka? Or return to Kyoto? Osaka? Tokyo?

Assuming that you have to be in Asuka at the end of day 5, then I recommend to move Nara to day 1 as follows:

day 1: Nara
day 2: Iga
day 3: Nagoya
day 4: Ise
day 5: Asuka

It involves less backtracking.

and can I use Kintetsu Rail Pass all of these trips?

Yes.

You will spend quite a bit of time on trains and change your hotel every day, which results in a rather fast and maybe somewhat tiring itinerary. If you bring big luggage, you would have to deal with it on a daily basis, which can be inconvenient and time-consuming.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 13:58
Hello Uji-San,
actually, Im planing to stay in Kyoto all of nights. all the trips will be 1 day trip from Kyoto. and finally I will return to Kyoto again.
by inferidii rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 14:19
I think it's an OK plan, doable without any problem.

Just check which train to take in advance.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 14:38
thank you so much,
now I checked Hyperdia. for example Kyoto Asuka. Almost all the trains are limited express. Kintetsu Rail Pass provides only three rides on limited express. I want to use them for my Nagoya trip or Ise trip. I wonder, can I find easily express, rapid and local trains for the other trips; Asuka, Nara, and Iga-Ueno? I will have 5 consecutive days with Kintetsu Rail Pass. I want to use them to full adventage.

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 15:02
That's why I gave you the hyperdia link.

Kyoto - Kintetsu Nara Express(direct) : hourly
Kyoto - Kashiharajingumae Express : a half hourly
Kyoto - Iseshi via Yamatoyagi Express : hourly
Kyoto - Uenoshi via Yamatoyagi Express : hourly

uncheck Japan Railway(JR) and Limited Express when searching.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 15:27
thank you so much. actually I didnt see search details on Hyperdia. well, after Kyoto Im going to go Osaka and stay there for few nights. I will use Kansai Thru Pass this time in Osaka. now, I can control all of my trip with Hyperdia, thanks again.

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/5 23:11
If you really want to do all this as daytrips, perhaps Nara could be a better base than Kyoto.
by Jensij rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/6 05:56
thanks a lot. this time, I have to stay in Kyoto. but next time I will follow your advice

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass and side trips from Kyoto 2012/6/6 08:43
Obviously, you will be spending long hours on the train on many of the days. Note also that the Kintetsu Rail Pass only includes three limited express train rides. You will have to take slower express trains for the remaining trips or pay a supplement.

Here are travel times (one way) to give you an idea for the two most distant destinations:

to Nagoya:
3 hours by limited express trains
4 hours by express trains

to Ise:
2 hours by limited express trains
3 hours by express trains

I think it is a waste of your time to spend so much time on board of trains. And in many cases it will be the same route multiple times. But it is doable.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread