Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English speaking guides in Shiretoko 2012/6/5 10:12
As I'll be at the Shiretoko 5 lakes area on June 21st, we'll have to join a guided tour as it's bear season. Does anyone know of any of the guides speak English, or is it just a case of joining the group to be able to access the area? I speak and understand some Japanese , but will be there with my parents. There's no information about that on the link from this website,

Thanks!

Debbie
by Debbie (guest)  

Re: English speaking guides in Shiretoko 2012/6/5 12:09
When I asked at the center in person last year, I was told that they do not have English speaking tours.

A small number of tour guides may be able to speak English, but the tours seem to be held in Japanese only. I guess if - in theory - an entire tour group is made up entirely of English speakers and the guide can speak English, then you could expect the tour to be held in English. Unless you arrange something specific in advance - e.g. by calling them - then you should not expect any English.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: English speaking guides in Shiretoko 2012/6/5 12:30
Try making enquiry to the Shiretoko Nature Foundation at the following email address:

info@shiretoko.or.jp

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: English speaking guides in Shiretoko 2012/6/5 12:50
Thanks for the replies. On the website it lists a number of guides, but no information as to whether they speak English or not. I'll try the email address William. if not I guess it's the luck of the draw. I'm sure it will be worthwhile anyway to go the the nature trails and see the lakes.
by Debbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Shiretoko 2012/6/5 13:22
Indeed the lakes are beautiful. We were lucky when we were there during summer in 2009 as we could still explore the area by ourselves. Do a bit of background reading beforehand and you can take in the spectacular scenery even if the commentary is only in Japanese.

One thing to note though - during summer time there are many gadflies and it can be annoying especially if there are kids around, so be prepared.

Enjoy Shiretoko and try to allocate more time for the whole peninsula. It is nature at its best!

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: English speaking guides in Shiretoko 2012/6/5 14:30
I saw a beautiful healthy buck behind a bush unlike sick looking deer at Nara. You will see a lot on the way to the Five Lakes on the grassy plain standing or sitting.
I don't think you need to worry or need an English speaking guide because of bear nor bear bell(annoying to you and others), spray or anything.
They charge electric fences during bear seasons & you may only be able to short-walk around Lakes 1 & 2 as I did. But if you are still worried about the bear, read here:
http://www.shiretoko.or.jp/bear/bear_01.htm
Google translate instead of English page(no bear info.)
Have a delicious soft corn there.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread