Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 12:36
We fly into Fukuoka Airport in late October for our 8-night trip using JR 7-day Rail Pass. From the airport, we will go to Kumamoto for 2 night; Huis Ten Bosch for 1 night; Kagoshima for 2 nights, Miyajima Island for 1 night and Hakata for 2 nights before going to Fukuoka Airport for our flight home.

For all places except Kagoshima, we've decided on which hotels/ryokan we will be staying at. We generally prefer a hotel near the train station and shopping malls where we can walk, window shop, have our dinner, etc. in the evening before returning back to our hotel for the night. But for Kagoshima, it appears that there's not much near Kagoshima Station. The Chisun Inn Kagoshima on Tenmonkan Densha Dori in the Tenmonkan district near Sennichicho looks like a good place to stay. This is our first visit to Kagoshima City.

We see that the Tenmonkan Shopping Mall is close by but don't know how near or far it is from the Chisun Inn. Can anyone tell us if this hotel is in a good location and how close it is to Tenmonkan Shopping Mall? We're open to any hotel and/or location suggestions. Thank you in advance.
by Edin (guest)  

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 12:41
The Tenmonkan district is best for dining and shopping, and the Chisun Inn is located right in the middle of it.

By comparison, the Kagoshima-Chuo Station area is not very lively, although you certainly will not die of hunger there, either.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 14:37
By comparison, the Kagoshima-Chuo Station area is not very lively, although you certainly will not die of hunger there, either.

In tha past, this was true. But Kagoshima-Chuo area changed as the Shinkansen reached Kagoshima. Now the Kagoshima chuo area is a strong competitor for the Tenmonkan. There are some new hotels in the Kagoshima chuo area.

http://www.solaria-hotels.jp/kagoshima/

http://www.jrk-hotels.jp/Kagoshima/index.php

They seem to be fine, however are somewhat expensive as compared to Chisun-Inn, and have no English sites.

PS: I am a resident of Kagoshima (Japanese). Kogoshima is suffering from heavy ash falls these days.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 17:35
We stayed at the Chisun Inn in Kagoshima last October. We had a family room for 4 with good views of SakuraJima.
For the price I would recommend the Chisun and but request a room with views if you can. Book onliine.

They also have a small laundry downstairs which was helpful and a small restaurant which we didn't use.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 22:13

I have just come back from Kagoshima, and yes as previous member said that Kagoshima-Chuo area changed since the new Shinkansen station. It is a lovely place now, shops restaurants are every where.

If you are looking for a business hotel near a station, I would strongly recommend Toyoko Inn Kagoshima Chuo-eki Nishi-guchi. Just minutes from the station.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/5 22:27
I just stayed at a hotel in Kagoshima-Chuo Station last month and I still found the station area rather calm compared to the Tenmonkan district.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/6 00:41
If you are interested in staying in a ryokan I recommend Nakazono:

http://japaneseinngroup.com/accommodations/kyushu-okinawa/kagoshima/na...

It is a short walk from JR Kagoshima station and also the ferry terminal to Sakurajima Island. This is a quieter area but a close walk to shopping and restaurants. A tram line runs a couple of blocks away to central Kagoshima and JR Kagoshima Chuo.

Mr Nakazono is very friendly and will make you feel at home.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Kagoshima City? 2012/6/6 13:07
To all that responded to my questions, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Uji, as always your comments are very helpful. frog1954 you made me re-look at the Kagoshima-chuo area and I found a few interesting places to visit that will enhance our stay in Kagoshima.

This is a great forum and I'm glad I posted my question. And, I'm very thankful for all who took the time to write their comments and suggestions. Again, thank you very much and do continue to provide your valuable and helpful assistance to others. Edin
by Edin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread