Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/5 21:28
hello,
I try to plan a long vacation in Japan for this summer. please help me.
for Mt Fuji I am planing below:

- from Kanazawa Station to Shinjuku West Exit. by bus. Dept: 24 August Friday 22:00 / Arr: 25 August Saturday 06:50

- from Shinjuku Highway Bus Terminal to Mt.Fuji 5th. by bus. Dept: 25 August Saturday 07:40 / Arr: 25 August Saturday 10:05 (2600YEN)

after that, Im planning to climb to 7th or 8th station of MT. Fuji. I will relax in one of huts. and maybe midnight, I will climb to summit for sunset.

is this plan logical and possible?

I researched highwaybus.com. Are ''Mt.Fuji 5th'' and ''Kawaguchi 5th Station'' same places?

what time should I start to walk for 7th or 8th station? what is recommended time?

and at night in August, what time should I start to walk again for summit and sunrise?

Im alone and female, can I find those days some groups, who walk to summit, and can I join them?

I will spend one night and two days in Fuji area, after that I will return to Tokyo Shinjuku. I think, ''Fuji Hakone Pass'' is not good enough for my trip. what do you think? Should I have it?

thank for now
by inferidii  

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 12:58
is this plan logical and possible?

Assuming you can get some rest on an overnight bus, I think it is logical and possible. I personally would not want to do it, because I can't sleep on a bus, and climbing Mount Fuji is very strenuous and better done when in good shape after a good night worth of sleep. But tough people will be able to do it.

I researched highwaybus.com. Are ''Mt.Fuji 5th'' and ''Kawaguchi 5th Station'' same places?

Yes.

what time should I start to walk for 7th or 8th station? what is recommended time?

You should try to be there by sunset at the very latest (around 18:30). But I recommend to arrive there a few hours before that. The time it takes to reach the hut varies a lot between people and between the 7th and 8th Station. Some huts in the 8th Station are considerably higher than the huts at the 7th Station.

and at night in August, what time should I start to walk again for summit and sunrise?

Again, it varies dramatically between people and also whether you start from the 7th or 8th Station. I recommend to inquire with the people in the hut.

Im alone and female, can I find those days some groups, who walk to summit, and can I join them?

There will be other hikers and groups of hikers, but whether you will find a group that is willing to absorb you depends on your social skills and luck.

I will spend one night and two days in Fuji area, after that I will return to Tokyo Shinjuku. I think, ''Fuji Hakone Pass'' is not good enough for my trip. what do you think? Should I have it?

The Fuji Hakone Pass won't be good, because it does not cover the direct bus between Shinjuku and the 5th Station. Also, it would only pay off if you were also to visit Hakone.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 13:22
thanks a lot Uji-San. I would appreciate your advice.

- at 10:05, I will be at Kawaguchi 5th Station.
- at 16:00, I will start to walk for 7th or 8 th station.
- after relaxing in that stations, I will ask depture time the other persons for sunrise.

one more thing, I can't find any timetable for return to Shinjuku on highwaybus.com.

how can I get that information?
by inferidii rate this post as useful

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 13:42
at 16:00, I will start to walk for 7th or 8 th station.

That's too late! Please study the hiking durations in detail. Also, note that you need reservations for a hut, which is not easily done. I think calling them by phone is the only option.

one more thing, I can't find any timetable for return to Shinjuku on highwaybus.com.

Direct buses from the 5th Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji_season.html

From Kawaguchiko Station or Fujisan Station:
http://transportation.fujikyu.co.jp/english/gettinghere/01.html

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 13:45
To the average hiker I recommend to calculate the following hiking times:

2 hours to the 7th Station.
3 hours to the lower 8th Station.
4-5 hours to the upper 8th Station.

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 14:39
thanks again Uji-San
then, after buy some stuff like oxygen, around 11:00, I will star to walk from Kawaguchi 5th Station. I think I will reach 8th station between 19:00 and 20:00.

and thank you so much for your advice about huts. I found a huts list through your old answers on site. it is very useful for me. Im going to call them a month earlier from 25 August Satudays.

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 17:29
I think I will reach 8th station between 19:00 and 20:00.

Sunset is around 18:30. I strongly recommend to arrive before sunset, especially if your stay includes dinner.

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/6 17:46
thanks a lot Uji-San.
I will do my best.

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/7 06:00
Setting off at about 2pm from the Kawaguchiko 5th station at moderate pace will get you to about the 8th station by 7pm-ish.

This may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrh5oWO8YE&feature=plcp
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When should I start to walk for Mt. Fuji? 2012/6/7 21:04
thank you so much. especially, now, I know what I should wear. at night, it seems like very cold. thanks again.

reply to this thread