Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 11:05
My family(2 adults, 3 kids aged below 7) will be driving in Hokkaido during early July. Is it easy to find accomodation as we drive along or should we book the accomodation before arriving?
by vinchoo  

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 11:24
I recommend to at least prepare a list of potential accommodations or bring guide books with good accommodation listings, so that you can call and inquire about vacancies.

Just showing up at a hotel or ryokan is unusual and potentially time-consuming. Especially at ryokan, it is very unusual to just show up, particularly if a meal is involved.

But generally speaking, the school holidays do not start until the second half of the months, so the competition for hotel rooms is not very fierce yet. Still, depending on where in Hokkaido you go, some resorts might be busy especially on weekends.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 11:32
Hi Uji,
Thanks for the advice. You mentioned about the school holidays starting in second half of July and competition for rooms may not be as fierce. We tried several hotel/accomodation sites (including those recommended by Furano and Biei tourism sites) and many mentioned they are fully booked for the period. Do you have any recommendation on the sites we can look for the potential list (we tried expedia, booking.com, agoda)
Thanks!
by vinchoo rate this post as useful

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 11:41
Furano/Biei is one of the popular areas where hotels will likely be very popular even in early July already because of the lavender which will be in bloom.

I recommend trying Rakuten, Japanican, Jalan, Agoda, Expedia and Hotels.com.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 12:09
Thanks Uji!
by vinchoo rate this post as useful

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 15:21
Hi vinchoo

I'm a person living in Hokkaido.
As mentioned by Uji, if you visit Furano, Asahikawa or Biei in early July, you should make a reservation.

Recently, many tourists coming from Mainland China visit Hokkaido as a large group to see lavender, so it is highly likely that you will not able to find a good hotel room for family tourists.

As everywhere in the world, you will find frequently many Mainland Chinese tourists also in Hokkaido.

By the way, in Hokkaido school holidays starts on 24 or 25th of July, one week later than in Tokyo or Osaka.
by dosanko100 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it easy to find accomodation in Hokkaido? 2012/6/7 16:05
As a Japanese, I am very happy to see a poster from the mainland China (PRC), since I hear so many tourists from PRC visit Japan while they are rare in this forum.

Big hotels might be full in the lavender season (early July), however, there seems to be some rooms in small hostels.

While English page of Rakuten does not seem to provide hotels in Furano (I can not find them), I found some accommodations in Japanese Rakuten site.

http://goo.gl/xLB3T

Among them, プチペンション田舎倶楽部 (the second one) might be suitable for your family.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread