Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/18 02:28
I'm going on a tour of Japan with a small group of people and one of the things on the iteniary is to hike the Arakawa trail to see Jomon-sugi, but I have a terrible fear of heights and I keep seeing pictures and video of railroad bridges with no hand rails. I have seen one in particular - does anyone know how many non-handrail bridges there are and how far into the hike they might be? I'll be heading out to see Jomon-sugi in just a couple of weeks- any thoughts from others who suffer from a fear of heights and have done (or not done) this trail? I might also add I am not an experienced hiker...

Thanks in advance!
by timidhiker (guest)  

Re: Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/18 07:57
I don't recall any thrilling bridges. If my memory serves my correctly, all the bridges had hand railings. And there aren't many bridges to begin with. In fact, I just remember a single one. The one shown on the following page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4653.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/18 10:19
They aren't bridges per say, but there are several points where the railroad tracks are elevated a meter or so above the slope. Could these be the "bridges" that are worrying you? Other than that there are a few actual bridges along the way, but most all these have railings.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/23 03:30
This is the OP. I guess everyone has different definitions of bridges, eh? :) I count any point where the railroad tracks are not directly touching the ground as a bridge. Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japon001/6261004176/in/pool-56044798@N00/
by timidhiker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/23 08:25
My memory did not serve me correctly! I just went through my own hike's photographs, and, indeed, I found a photo of the same bridge and about two other similar bridges of shorter lengths.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima Arakawa trail & fear of heights 2012/6/25 09:23
There aren't many bridges like the one you linked to, but I would probably reconsider the hike if you are fearful of any elevated track. There are a considerable number of elevated trails and boardwalks to navigate along the way, especially once you hit the Okabu Trail. In fact, these types of trails and dramatic views are a big part of Yakushima's attractions that I'm not sure would be pleasant for someone with a crippling fear of heights.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread