Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 06:24
Hi, I've already posted some questions before (thank you to who answered), now I need to define the itinerary. So I would be glad to everyone who made me notice what's wrong, impossible to do, better doing a different way and so on.

Fri Aug 10 - Landing in Tokyo at 18.00, exchange JR Pass (validity 2 weeks since 8/11 to 8/24) and purchase Suica & NEX package. Narita Express to Shinjuku at 19.45 (arrive 21.15). Check-in at Sunroute Plaza Hotel and late dinner at Omoide Yokocho (600 meters from the hotel).

Since it is Obon period, I'd like to reserve seats in advance on the 13 Shinkansen/Ltd Express trains we are planning to take during the journey, all at once. I read somewhere that it's impossible to do it in Narita on peak days (they just book your seat on the NEX from the airport), so I was wondering if I can do it in Shinjuku when we get there (before going to the hotel or little later). Is it possible? And how long is it going to take to reserve seats on 13 trains?

Sat Aug 11 - Purchase Hakone Free Pass for august 15th at Odakyu Sightseeing Service in Shinjuku JR (8.00). Then: Tokyo Government Building (one of the two towers), Shinjuku Gyoen, Meiji Shrine, Takeshita Dori, Omotesando, Shibuya, Roppongi Hills (Tokyo City View), Tokyo Tower by night (just from outside).

Is it going to be busy on saturday in Obon period for the two observation decks (TGB and TCV?)

Sun Aug 12 - Tokyo Sky Tree (8.00), Asakusa (Sensoji and surroundings), river bus to Hamarikyu, then the garden, Ginza (just a walk and some photos), Imperial palace from outside and East Gardens, Akihabara. At about 19.00-19.30 transfer to Shimokitazawa for dinner/evening.

If we can't buy same-day tickets to the TST, we'll try to book them for Aug 23th. Otherwise we're giving up...

Mon Aug 13 - Train to Kamakura (7.55-8.59) and then to Hase. Daibutsu, Hasedera, train back to Kamakura, Hachimangu, Kenchoji, Engakuji (not long visits). Train back to Tokyo from Kitakamakura and then Yurikamome to Odaiba (14.00-15.16). Miraikan, photos to Rainbow Bridge and Liberty Statue, Palette Town (ferris wheel, Venus Fort, Leisure Land) and Oedo Onsen Monogatari.

Tue Aug 14 - Train to Nikko (6.50-9.08), visit to the World Heritage Site, Shin-kyo, bus to Chuzenji-ko (13.45-14.39), Akechidaira Plateau, Kegan-no-taki and back by bus (17.29-18.28) and by train to Shinjuku (19.03-21.14). Dinner/night walk in Kabuki-cho/Golden Gai).

Hope I didn't make mistakes in checking bus timetable on the japanese website... Anyway, is it too tight?

Wed Aug 15 - Train to Odawara (8.02-9.01) and then to Gora (9.17-10.16), cable-car to Mount Sounzan, ropeway to Togendai, sightseeing ship to Moto-Hakone, visit to the Hakone Shrine, bus to Hakone-Yumoto at about 16.00, arrive 16.40, onsen (if there's enough time) and train back to Shibuya (18.41 from Hakone-Yumoto - 20.03). Dinner/evening in Shibuya.

Thu Aug 16 - Send heavy suitcases to the Kyoto hotel. Train to Takayama (8.10-13.09), bus to Hida-no-sato (13.40) and back (16.29), walk in Sanmachi Suji and night at Country Hotel Takayama (close to the station/bus terminal).

Anything else to do in Takayama (except having some rest)?

Fri Aug 17 - Nohi Bus to Shirakawago (8.50-9.40), visit to the Ogimachi village and then bus to Kanazawa (13.50-15.05). Kenrokuen, walk in Nagamachi (if there's enough time) and evening train to Kyoto (20.35-22.45). Night at Kyoto Tower Hotel (just in front of the station).

This is definitely tight, I know, but poor transportation means in that area give us few chances, unless we cut off some time in Kyoto.

Sat Aug 18 - Sanjusangendo, Kiyumizudera, walk in Higashiyama, Ginkakuji, Heian, Gion (since late afternoon).

I'm seriously considering moving by taxi from one site to the following. We are two persons and if the fee is 600 Yen for the first 2 km plus 100 yen for each 500 meters more, we're not going to pay much more than taking buses (even with the day-pass) and we're reducing waits and slow transfers as well as avoiding crowded buses. Is it true? Consider that it's saturday...

Sun Aug 19 - Train to Nara (8.03-9.11), visit to all the sightseeing in the Nara-koen area and then transfer to Osaka (17.38-18.29 JR Namba). Dinner/evening in Dotonbori and back to Kyoto (22.04 from JR Namba - 23.09).

Mon Aug 20 - JR Bus to Ryoanji (7.45), bus or taxi to Kinkakuji and taxi to the Imperial Household Agency to book the visit to Katsura Villa. Then Nijo Castle, Katsura Villa (guided visit at 15.00, I hope), Arashiyama. Dinner/evening in Ponto-cho.

We're doing the centre-west part of Kyoto on Monday in order to find less crowds and because the Imperial Agency is closed on weekends.

Tue Aug 21 - Let heavy suitcases at the hotel. Train to Hiroshima (8.02-10.00), visit to the Peace Memorial Park/Museum, then train + ferry to Miyajima (we count to be there at about 14.00-14.30). Itsukushima Shrine + surroundings and Misen ropeway one-way, back on foot by the Daisho-in route. Overnight stay in the island (Miyajima Hotel Makoto).

I know there's not much to do by night in Miyajima, but quieter it is, the better, in my opinion. And I definitely don't wanna lose the illuminated shrine. ;-)

Wed Aug 22 - Ferry and train back to Kyoto (10.04-12.54), send heavy suitcases to the following Tokyo hotel and then visits to Nishi-Honganji and Fushimi Inari.

We're staying at the same hotel (Kyoto Tower). I checked and they told me they're keeping our luggage while we're not there.

Thu Aug 23 - Train to Tokyo (7.45-11.08), drop off in Komagome and visit the Rikugien, then Yanaka, Ueno Park (just walk around, not museums), Korakuen, Kagurazaka. Train to Yokohama (19.16 from Iidabashi - 20.10 Sakuragicho station), dinner/evening in Minato-Mirai 21 and back to Tokyo (23.09 Sakuragicho -23.58 Shintomicho station). Meet our luggage at Ginza Capital Hotel Main and check-in.

If we achieve to book the tickets to the Tokyo Sky Tree for this day, we will arrange the schedule properly (erasing one or more visits).

Fri Aug 24 - Free shuttle bus from the hotel to Tokyo Station (9.50-10.10) and Narita Express to the airport (10.33-11.27). Take-off at 13.35.

Sorry for the lenght, but I choose to be exhaustive to avoid annoying you with further more questions later. Can it be done? Is there something I didn't consider?

Thank you in advance to all of you.

by stefklas (guest)  

... 2012/7/10 10:00
Nice formatting!

Fri Aug 10 - Landing in Tokyo at 18.00,

Looks good. Sunroute Plaza is nice and relatively easy to get to.

so I was wondering if I can do it in Shinjuku when we get there (before going to the hotel or little later). Is it possible?

Yes, you can do it at Shinjuku Station. Before or after check in.

And how long is it going to take to reserve seats on 13 trains?

A few minutes to queue and then maybe 10-15 minutes. It will help if you have all your journeys written out/typed out including from city, to city, date and times.

Sat Aug 11 - Purchase Hakone Free Pass for august 15th at Odakyu Sightseeing Service in Shinjuku JR (8.00).

I wouldn't bother. Just buy it at Odawara on the day.

Then: Tokyo Government Building (one of the two towers), Shinjuku Gyoen, Meiji Shrine, Takeshita Dori, Omotesando, Shibuya, Roppongi Hills (Tokyo City View), Tokyo Tower by night (just from outside).

Looks fine.

Is it going to be busy on saturday in Obon period for the two observation decks (TGB and TCV?)

Not sure.

Sun Aug 12 - Tokyo Sky Tree (8.00), Asakusa (Sensoji and surroundings), river bus to Hamarikyu, then the garden, Ginza (just a walk and some photos), Imperial palace from outside and East Gardens, Akihabara. At about 19.00-19.30 transfer to Shimokitazawa for dinner/evening.

Ok.

Mon Aug 13 - Train to Kamakura (7.55-8.59) and then to Hase. Daibutsu, Hasedera, train back to Kamakura, Hachimangu, Kenchoji, Engakuji (not long visits). Train back to Tokyo from Kitakamakura and then Yurikamome to Odaiba (14.00-15.16). Miraikan, photos to Rainbow Bridge and Liberty Statue, Palette Town (ferris wheel, Venus Fort, Leisure Land) and Oedo Onsen Monogatari.

That's a long day, should be ok but you might drop one or two.

Tue Aug 14 - Train to Nikko (6.50-9.08), visit to the World Heritage Site, Shin-kyo, bus to Chuzenji-ko (13.45-14.39), Akechidaira Plateau, Kegan-no-taki and back by bus (17.29-18.28) and by train to Shinjuku (19.03-21.14). Dinner/night walk in Kabuki-cho/Golden Gai).

Another long day.

Hope I didn't make mistakes in checking bus timetable on the japanese website... Anyway, is it too tight?

Should be ok I think

Wed Aug 15 - Train to Odawara (8.02-9.01) and then to Gora (9.17-10.16), cable-car to Mount Sounzan, ropeway to Togendai, sightseeing ship to Moto-Hakone, visit to the Hakone Shrine, bus to Hakone-Yumoto at about 16.00, arrive 16.40, onsen (if there's enough time) and train back to Shibuya (18.41 from Hakone-Yumoto - 20.03). Dinner/evening in Shibuya.

You like long days!

Thu Aug 16 - Send heavy suitcases to the Kyoto hotel. Train to Takayama (8.10-13.09), bus to Hida-no-sato (13.40) and back (16.29), walk in Sanmachi Suji and night at Country Hotel Takayama (close to the station/bus terminal).

Sounds good.

Eat some Hida Beef somewhere?

Fri Aug 17 - Nohi Bus to Shirakawago (8.50-9.40), visit to the Ogimachi village and then bus to Kanazawa (13.50-15.05). Kenrokuen, walk in Nagamachi (if there's enough time) and evening train to Kyoto (20.35-22.45). Night at Kyoto Tower Hotel (just in front of the station).

I would get up earlier and visit the Morning Markets in Takayama:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5907.html

This is definitely tight, I know, but poor transportation means in that area give us few chances, unless we cut off some time in Kyoto.

It is ok, although obviously a fast pace.

Sat Aug 18 - Sanjusangendo, Kiyumizudera, walk in Higashiyama, Ginkakuji, Heian, Gion (since late afternoon).

I would change the order a little, do Heian first then Ginkakuji then Sanjusangendo, Kiyomizudera, Gion, Pontocho.

I'm seriously considering moving by taxi from one site to the following. We are two persons and if the fee is 600 Yen for the first 2 km plus 100 yen for each 500 meters more, we're not going to pay much more than taking buses (even with the day-pass) and we're reducing waits and slow transfers as well as avoiding crowded buses. Is it true? Consider that it's saturday...

Depends how much you like walking. I'd probably bus to Heian, then I'd walk the rest, but you could taxi hop too.

Sun Aug 19 - Train to Nara (8.03-9.11), visit to all the sightseeing in the Nara-koen area and then transfer to Osaka (17.38-18.29 JR Namba). Dinner/evening in Dotonbori and back to Kyoto (22.04 from JR Namba - 23.09).

Seems good.

Mon Aug 20 - JR Bus to Ryoanji (7.45), bus or taxi to Kinkakuji and taxi to the Imperial Household Agency to book the visit to Katsura Villa. Then Nijo Castle, Katsura Villa (guided visit at 15.00, I hope), Arashiyama. Dinner/evening in Ponto-cho.

Arashiyama? Might be pushing it a little.

Tue Aug 21 - Let heavy suitcases at the hotel. Train to Hiroshima (8.02-10.00), visit to the Peace Memorial Park/Museum, then train + ferry to Miyajima (we count to be there at about 14.00-14.30). Itsukushima Shrine + surroundings and Misen ropeway one-way, back on foot by the Daisho-in route. Overnight stay in the island (Miyajima Hotel Makoto).

Looks good.

I know there's not much to do by night in Miyajima, but quieter it is, the better, in my opinion. And I definitely don't wanna lose the illuminated shrine. ;-)

For sure.

Wed Aug 22 - Ferry and train back to Kyoto (10.04-12.54), send heavy suitcases to the following Tokyo hotel and then visits to Nishi-Honganji and Fushimi Inari.

Seems good.

We're staying at the same hotel (Kyoto Tower). I checked and they told me they're keeping our luggage while we're not there.

Very handy.

Thu Aug 23 - Train to Tokyo (7.45-11.08), drop off in Komagome and visit the Rikugien, then Yanaka, Ueno Park (just walk around, not museums), Korakuen, Kagurazaka. Train to Yokohama (19.16 from Iidabashi - 20.10 Sakuragicho station), dinner/evening in Minato-Mirai 21 and back to Tokyo (23.09 Sakuragicho -23.58 Shintomicho station). Meet our luggage at Ginza Capital Hotel Main and check-in.

Another busy long day!

Fri Aug 24 - Free shuttle bus from the hotel to Tokyo Station (9.50-10.10) and Narita Express to the airport (10.33-11.27). Take-off at 13.35.

Sounds good.

Sorry for the lenght, but I choose to be exhaustive to avoid annoying you with further more questions later. Can it be done? Is there something I didn't consider?

I think if you like a fast pace of travel it will be fine. Don't be afraid to drop a site or two if you don't have time.

I would switch Sat 11 and Sun 12 around, and add Yoyogi Park on the Sunday. Or at least do the Harajuku and probably Shibuya section on Sunday.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 11:08
Sat Aug 11 - Purchase Hakone Free Pass for august 15th at Odakyu Sightseeing Service in Shinjuku JR (8.00).

I wouldn't bother. Just buy it at Odawara on the day.

The problem might be that I'm getting to Odawara at 9.01 and the Hakone Tozan Railway to Gora leaves at 9.17. It means just 16 minutes to do it all (find the machine, understand instructions, buy the pass, find the departure track...). In case of queue I'd lose the train, I'm afraid.

That's a long day, should be ok but you might drop one or two.

If just Miraikan wouldn't close at 5 p.m., it would be easier... Which attractions would you drop?

Another long day.

You're right, but we have just one day to visit Nikko and that's the only way I could manage it. Of course, if we're tired, we're going directly to the hotel and visit East-Shinjuku another night. What's important is that it's possible and not too tight (about 4 hours at the WHS and almost 3 hours at the lake, is it enough?)

You like long days!

I like trying not to lose anything important :-)
Anyway, we can always drop something. We are going twice to Shibuya, by day and by night, but if we are too tired the night trip can be erased, for example.

Eat some Hida Beef somewhere?

Ok, I'll try. Thank you ;-)

I would get up earlier and visit the Morning Markets in Takayama:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5907.html

Ok, thank you.

I would change the order a little, do Heian first then Ginkakuji then Sanjusangendo, Kiyomizudera, Gion, Pontocho.

Why? Just to save time or because some attractions look better in the morning and others in the afternoon? I was starting from the south just because it is closer to the hotel, so we can reach the first destination at 8 a.m. without waking up too early. But if there is a specifical reason we can change, of course. Since we're going to Pontocho two nights later, maybe this night we'd better concentrate in Gion, or isn't it worth?

Arashiyama? Might be pushing it a little.

Uhm... Do you think we'd be better going to Fushimi Inari this late afternoon and then to Arashiyama two days later (coming back from Miyajima)? I had placed Arashiyama today because it is quite close to Katsura (6 minutes ride with Hankyu Kyoto Line Ltd. Exp.) and we plan to leave Katsura Villa at about 16.00-16.15, but if you think it is going to be too tight we can switch.

Another busy long day!

Yes, but it is the last day of our trip. ;-) Which of the two gardens would you drop (Rikugien or Korakuen)? And is it better to spend some time in Yanaka or in Kagurazaka, in your opinion? As far as Yokohama is concerned, it is just an option if we're still alive and don't know how to spend that last night. It's not a "must do", I mean.

I would switch Sat 11 and Sun 12 around, and add Yoyogi Park on the Sunday. Or at least do the Harajuku and probably Shibuya section on Sunday.

I'll consider this. Thank you for all your answers.
by stefklas rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/10 11:19
The problem might be that I'm getting to Odawara at 9.01 and the Hakone Tozan Railway to Gora leaves at 9.17. It means just 16 minutes to do it all (find the machine, understand instructions, buy the pass, find the departure track...). In case of queue I'd lose the train, I'm afraid.

You can also buy it at the manned ticket counter. 16 minutes sounds like plenty of time to me.

If just Miraikan wouldn't close at 5 p.m., it would be easier... Which attractions would you drop?

None specifically, just whatever you don't find you have time for.

You're right, but we have just one day to visit Nikko and that's the only way I could manage it. Of course, if we're tired, we're going directly to the hotel and visit East-Shinjuku another night. What's important is that it's possible and not too tight (about 4 hours at the WHS and almost 3 hours at the lake, is it enough?)

I think your timings look ok.

I like trying not to lose anything important :-)
Anyway, we can always drop something. We are going twice to Shibuya, by day and by night, but if we are too tired the night trip can be erased, for example.

True.

Why? Just to save time or because some attractions look better in the morning and others in the afternoon? I was starting from the south just because it is closer to the hotel, so we can reach the first destination at 8 a.m. without waking up too early. But if there is a specifical reason we can change, of course.

All the shops leading up to Kiyomizudera are shut in the morning so I tend to like that area in the afternoons when it has more atmosphere. Also I assumed Gion and Pontocho so you can walk back there from Kiyomizudera.

Since we're going to Pontocho two nights later, maybe this night we'd better concentrate in Gion, or isn't it worth?

Gion is worth it, usually you can combine the two but splitting is fine too.

Uhm... Do you think we'd be better going to Fushimi Inari this late afternoon and then to Arashiyama two days later (coming back from Miyajima)? I had placed Arashiyama today because it is quite close to Katsura (6 minutes ride with Hankyu Kyoto Line Ltd. Exp.) and we plan to leave Katsura Villa at about 16.00-16.15, but if you think it is going to be too tight we can switch.

How do you get to Nijo Castle and back then?

I'd probably do Kinkakuji, Katsura, Arashiyama. There's a fair bit to see in Arashiyama.

Which of the two gardens would you drop (Rikugien or Korakuen)? And is it better to spend some time in Yanaka or in Kagurazaka, in your opinion?

Hopefully someone else who has been to them all can offer some suggestions there.

As far as Yokohama is concerned, it is just an option if we're still alive and don't know how to spend that last night. It's not a "must do", I mean.

Seems fine then.

I'll consider this. Thank you for all your answers.

No worries!

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 11:39
All the shops leading up to Kiyomizudera are shut in the morning so I tend to like that area in the afternoons when it has more atmosphere. Also I assumed Gion and Pontocho so you can walk back there from Kiyomizudera.

Ah! I didn't know that. So I'm definitely going to Kiyomizudera in the afternoon. Thank you very much.

How do you get to Nijo Castle and back then?

I was going to Nijo before Katsura. Something like this (roughly): 8.30 Ryoanji; 9.30 Kinkakuji; 11.15 Imperial Agency; 12.00 Nijo Castle; 14.30 Katsura; 16.30 Arashiyama; 20.30 Pontocho. But maybe we'd better go to Fushimi Inari at 16.30, and spend more time in Arashiyama on Aug 22 (we'll be back from Miyajima at about 1 p.m.). Or we could also switch Katsura on 22, I don't know...
I'm afraid we can't visit Katsura in the morning because we must reserve the visit before. And we can do it just on Monday morning, since the IHA is closed on saturdays and sundays. That's why I had placed the Nijo Castle at noon: because it's pretty close to the agency.

... 2012/7/10 12:06
Ah! I didn't know that. So I'm definitely going to Kiyomizudera in the afternoon. Thank you very much.

No worries.

I was going to Nijo before Katsura. Something like this (roughly): 8.30 Ryoanji; 9.30 Kinkakuji; 11.15 Imperial Agency; 12.00 Nijo Castle; 14.30 Katsura; 16.30 Arashiyama; 20.30 Pontocho. But maybe we'd better go to Fushimi Inari at 16.30, and spend more time in Arashiyama on Aug 22 (we'll be back from Miyajima at about 1 p.m.). Or we could also switch Katsura on 22, I don't know...

I think for Arashiyama even just Tenryuji and the Bamboo forest would be difficult to squeeze in. Possible I guess. Tenryuji closes at 5:30pm in August. Also your timings for the whole day are a little tight but possible I guess.

I'd maybe keep it a bit flexible and maybe move Arashiyama to the later date if you run out of time.

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 12:11
Ok, thank you very much.

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 12:43
My husband, 9 year old son and I just returned from a 3 week trip to Japan. We are not "fast" travelers and would not have been able to follow your schedule, even though we were out the door by 9 am every day.

We spent an entire day in Kamakura, and an entire day in Arashiyama, and still felt there were things we would have enjoyed seeing and doing in both places.

You could also easily spend 4-8 hours at Odaiba. We went to Miraikan and were there for a full two hours before it closed, and could have easily spent another hour there. One of my son's favorite place in Japan was Toyota Megaweb in Odaiba. We didn't even have time to visit the malls in Odaiba.

Don't forget to budget some time to just window shop and just people watch, something I wish we had done more of on our trip.

We did use the Kyoto Free guide service, and they were great!

by diane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/10 13:29
I know, you could stay there one month and it still wouldn't be enough. It's a choice: visiting more sites for less time or concentrate on fewer ones staying there a little more? It would be an easy choice if we knew what expects us. But we don't. And you can read one hundred guides and still don't know which is better between two options, since some sources say the first and some others the second. I don't know which garden I'll enjoy more, because it depends on my personal like, so I prefer going to both one hour each than visiting just one for two hours. You say you would have spent more time in Miraikan if you could, but two hours are better than nothing, aren't them? That's only my point of view, of course.

We will start our visits at about 8 a.m. every morning (considering that dark comes a bit early in august and there's not daylight saving time in Japan) and then be flexible, staying less time than expected where we think it isn't worth and a little more where we like more. And when we are tired, we'll sit down. :-)

Of course we'll spend time just watching around. That's what we're going to do, for example, in Harajuku (Takeshita Dori, Omotesando) as in Shibuya (I definitely want to go up to the coffee shop over Shibuya Crossing, just to see the crowd from above), in Roppongi as in Ginza. And I have scheduled enough time for that purpose in Kyoto as well (Gion, Pontocho, Higashiyama: we don't have any temple or shrine to visit there, just watching around).

Thank you for your suggestion on Kyoto Free guide service. ;-)

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/11 02:31
I rearranged the Kyoto itinerary according with GC3's suggestions. All times are aproximate.

Sat Aug 18 - Nishi-Honganji (7.30), Heian (9.15), Ginkakuji (10.45), Sanjusangendo (12.45), Kiyumizudera (14.30), walk in Higashiyama and Gion (since about 16.30-17.00).

Mon Aug 20 - Ryoanji (8.30), Kinkakuji (9.30), Imperial Household Agency (11.30), Nijo Castle (12.15), Katsura Villa (15.00), Fushimi Inari (16.45), Pontocho (19.30-20.00).

Wed Aug 22 - Arrive in Kyoto from Miyajima at 12.54, send heavy suitcases to the following Tokyo hotel (they told us it has to be done within 3 p.m. Aug 22nd to be sure that we will find them in Tokyo by the evening of 23rd), Arashiyama (15.00-15.15).

Not exactly a relaxing tour, but a little more achievable, I hope.

As far as taxis are concerned, what I'd like to know is how shorter and confortable the trips can be than bus ones. I mean, I'm scared about crowds on a mid-august saturday and I read buses are slow and not so frequent as one could imagine, even in peak hours, so long waits and transfers could make us waste a lot of time (not to mention the unpleasant perspective of a crowded bus in a likely very hot day). Is there a big difference in terms of waits/transfer times?

And what about money? Ok, it's 600 Yen for the first 2 km and then 100 Yen for each 500 meters, but in case of jams the fee would considerably rise, I'm afraid. How much would reasonably cost, in your opinion, taxi transfers from Heian to Ginkakuji, and then to Sanjusangendo and from there to Kiyumizudera? I'm not asking for a perfect prediction, of course, just the range.

Last one: in case we'd choose buses, I read 500 Yen daily bus passes are available in Kyoto. Can we buy the pass on the first bus we take in the morning or we have to purchase it somewhere else?

Thank you.

... 2012/7/11 02:52
Not exactly a relaxing tour, but a little more achievable, I hope.

Let's hope so!

As far as taxis are concerned, what I'd like to know is how shorter and confortable the trips can be than bus ones. I mean, I'm scared about crowds on a mid-august saturday and I read buses are slow and not so frequent as one could imagine, even in peak hours, so long waits and transfers could make us waste a lot of time (not to mention the unpleasant perspective of a crowded bus in a likely very hot day). Is there a big difference in terms of waits/transfer times?

I would not want to attempt your schedule using buses. Of course finding taxis may be tricky from some spots too.

I have not been there in August but would think you will be ok.

And what about money? Ok, it's 600 Yen for the first 2 km and then 100 Yen for each 500 meters, but in case of jams the fee would considerably rise, I'm afraid. How much would reasonably cost, in your opinion, taxi transfers from Heian to Ginkakuji, and then to Sanjusangendo and from there to Kiyumizudera? I'm not asking for a perfect prediction, of course, just the range.

I'd just use google maps to calc the distance and then add some leeway.

I've used taxis a few times in Kyoto and in general they are pretty good. They also will know which areas to avoid. They'll also suggest you hop out earlier/elsewhere if there is an obvious jam, like leading up to Kiyomizudera.

Last one: in case we'd choose buses, I read 500 Yen daily bus passes are available in Kyoto. Can we buy the pass on the first bus we take in the morning or we have to purchase it somewhere else?[eq]

Yes, or at the bus information office outside Kyoto Station. Also selected hotels sell them too.

Re: 15 days itinerary 2012/7/16 04:26
How long does it take to visit the Wholesale Area in Tsukiji Market?

I mean, I'm planning to visit the market the last morning of our trip (friday, august 24th), since we're lodging in Ginza that night and we could then reach the fish market in a 10 minutes' walk. But we have to leave early to go back to the hotel, take our luggage, transfer to Tokyo Station and then take the 10.33 N'EX to Narita.

We're certainly going there very early to see the tuna auction, but unfortunately the wholesale area opens at 9 a.m. So we'd have just 20-30 minutes left, not more. Is it worth waiting until 9 and enter the area even for so little time or we'd better avoid it and take it a bit easier?
by stefklas (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread