Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Tsukiji Market Wholesale Area 2012/7/16 04:22
How long does it take to visit the Wholesale Area in Tsukiji Market?

I mean, I'm planning to visit the market the last morning of our trip (friday, august 24th), since we're lodging in Ginza that night and we could then reach the fish market in a 10 minutes' walk. But we have to leave early to go back to the hotel, take our luggage, transfer to Tokyo Station and then take the 10.33 N'EX to Narita.

We're certainly going there very early to see the tuna auction, but unfortunately the wholesale area opens at 9 a.m. So we'd have just 20-30 minutes left, not more. Is it worth waiting until 9 and enter the area even for so little time or we'd better avoid it and take it a bit easier?
by stefklas (guest)  

Re: Visiting Tsukiji Market Wholesale Area 2012/7/16 10:06
Tsukiji Outer Market is open from 5am and is well worth a visit. A lot of the shops cater to the restaurant trade (e.g. several very good knife shops), but the whole area is open to the public, and you won't be getting in anyone's way. http://whereintokyo.com/venues/25123.html
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Tsukiji Market Wholesale Area 2012/7/16 10:20
Thank you. Of course we're visiting the outer market, since tuna auction ends at about 5.50 and we have plenty of time, but I was wondering if inner market is worth the wait until 9.00 for just a 20-30 minutes visit.
by stefklas (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/16 11:06
I would suggest Tuna Auction, queue for Sushi, Sushi breakfast, Outer market, Wholesale market. Yes, 20-25 minutes is fine in the Wholesale market.

I was lucky enough to visit before any of the restrictions were in place (including tuna auction) but have been back since the restrictions and although a lot of the wholesale market activity has died down by 9am there is still plenty of interest to see.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Tsukiji Market Wholesale Area 2012/7/16 11:08
Ok, thank you, let's try then...
by stefklas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Tsukiji Market Wholesale Area 2012/7/16 11:09
I wouldn't bother - business has pretty much wound down by 9am, so you can see people hosing down their stalls, etc.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread