Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/17 02:46
so a friend and i are planning to travel out of tokyo for 5-6 days with a JR Pass and heading back to Tokyo in the end. we will be staying at hostels.

any suggestions on how to go about checking each of these places on a budget? should i base in osaka? or should i visit Nara and Kyoto on the way back to Tokyo? i will definitely be checking out Koya-san from Osaka for a day trip as I've done this last summer and worked out great. also, will fitting in a quick visit to Hiroshima be possible? any help is appreciated. thanks!
by matic  

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/17 11:56
Yeah, basing yourself in Osaka would be a good idea, and do daytrips to Nara and Kyoto. A trip to Hiroshima (and Miyajima) would be easily done from there and worth doing, especially since you'll have the JR pass. You could look at spending the night over that way so you'd fit in more, otherwise just return to Osaka that night. I'd suggest 6 days.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/17 13:30
great! i had 6 days in mind as well. i think i can make this work. thanks for the suggestion!
by matic rate this post as useful

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/19 00:19
so our itinerary is looking something like this, it's jam packed but i think it will work. what do you guys think? any suggestions? we will be based in Osaka at a hostel.

8/22: arrive in Osaka AM-afternoon
8/23: day trip to Hiroshima
8/24: day trip to Kyoto
8/25: day trip to Nara
8/26: day trip to Koya-san
8/27: spend the day in Osaka
8/28: checkout early AM (day trip to Naoshima?) and head to Tokyo for PM

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/19 02:05
Yes, it's packed. It's advisable to drop Mt Koya and make another day trip to Kyoto.(unless you are the follower of Shingon Buddhism)

Naoshima on the last day in Kansai is impossible. Hikone castle is on the way back from Osaka to Tokyo if you are interested.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/19 07:09
Based on the fact that you have already done a day trip to Koyasan from Osaka and must be happy with the fast pace, I'd say it's fine.
As for Naoshima, it doesn't seem very convenient, as per the anon poster said.

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/20 06:06
Thanks, makes sense, I will probably drop Naoshima for this trip and maybe do Kyoto for 2 days.

Is Koya-san in a day really fast paced? I pretty much looked at everything I wanted to see and even hiked up to Koya-san without taking the cablecar! It was amazing..

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/20 12:32
It's doable in a day trip, but staying at a shukubo is the usual thing. We had about 24hrs at Koyasan but due to enjoying the atmosphere of Okunoin so much (and taking many photos) we didn't really see much of the place. But you're obviously aware of how much time you need, so it's all good :)

You could do Kyoto part 2 on the way to Tokyo, just leaving your luggage at the station so you can explore freely.

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/21 00:11
Sal,

Thanks for the suggestion. Kyoto on the way back to Tokyo sounds good too! I think I just may do that. for day 2 of exploring Kyoto.

Re: itinerary suggestion? Kansai 2012/7/21 08:19
No worries. Let us know if you have any further questions.

reply to this thread