Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 06:16
Hi, I have seen others discussing this but wanted some extra insight.

What time is suggested to depart Osaka to be able to visit Hiroshima (Peace Memorial Museum + Peace Park) and Miyajima? What besides the Itsukushima Shrine will I have time to check out on the island? I have no time limit as long as I'm back at the Osaka hotel for the night.
by matic  

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 09:25
It's only 90min to Hiroshima from Osaka so you shouldn't be too rushed, but this depends on the time of year you go. We went last Decemeber and a lot of shops in Miyajima were already closed before 4pm. (I made the mistake of taking the tram half way to the ferry terminal! Didn't realise it was far away).

You can spend a while shopping/eating in Miyajima and take the cable car to the top of Mount Misen.

If you can, try and time it so you get to see high tide and low tide (you can walk up to the torii gates during low tide) and or see the torri gates at night.
by Obak3 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 13:13
The earlier you depart, the more time you have.

The 1st MIZUHO departs at Shin-Osaka at 0600.
The 1st SAKURA departs at Shin-Osaka at 0625.

The last SAKURA departs at Hiroshima at 2048.

It takes 90 mins to travel between Osaka and Hiroshima.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 13:29
thanks for the response!
by matic rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/17 14:09
Note that you can't use the Mizuho if you have a national JR Pass.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 14:50
What time is suggested to depart Osaka to be able to visit Hiroshima (Peace Memorial Museum + Peace Park) and Miyajima?

It depends on your location in Osaka.
Note that Shinkansen super-expresses use Shin-Osaka Station, not Osaka Station.

Hiroshima Peace Park is vast; A-Bomb Dome and Peace Memorial Museum are located apart around the parkfs different ends.

Hiroshima City -- Miyajima Island may require about one hour even if you donft have to wait much for your train / ferry.
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3454.html

As to JR West Miyajima Ferry the last departure from Miyajima for Miyajimaguchi Pier is at 22:14 on the current diagram, but of course you will have to head for Osaka earlier. I recommend departing by 20:00 if your hotel is near Shin-Osaka Station and/or Osaka Station.

What besides the Itsukushima Shrine will I have time to check out on the island?

Some articles may help you to find your answers.
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 20:56
omotenashi, thank you. that is very helpful information.

so would visiting peace park + museum be the best thing to do first before visiting miyajima? i'm just not familiar with how far apart things are, so a bit confused.

... 2012/7/17 21:05
so would visiting peace park + museum be the best thing to do first before visiting miyajima?

What date do you plan on going? It makes a difference due to the tides.

In general I would go to the Peace Park before Miyajima, but it depends on the date.

i'm just not familiar with how far apart things are, so a bit confused.

Did you read the link omotenashi provided?
Do you have a specific question that is not answered on this page?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3454.html

Re: Osaka to Hiroshima and Miyajima day trip 2012/7/17 22:08
i will be heading to hiroshima exactly in a month.

yes, checked out the links and have made notes on activities.

thanks guys!

... 2012/7/17 22:35
i will be heading to hiroshima exactly in a month.

August 17th has high tide at 9:21, low at 15:40, high at 22:05. Sunset at 18:55.

So morning might be better, assuming you don't want to see it at night.

reply to this thread