Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 08:20
Hello,
I want to travel Japan without using the JR pass (on a budget...). I'm hoping to manage by using a 5-days buss pass (14,000 yen), the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass (the one that costs 10,000 yen and is valid for 7 consecutive days) and maybe a Seishun 18 as well.

Can I use the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass in order to get from Sapporo to Nagano in less than 24 hours? Or will it be a better idea to go back to Tokyo from Sapporo and then take a night buss to Kanazawa/Toyama using the buss pass?
I really want to visit Kamikochi, Takayama and Shirakawa-go, and not sure what is the best way to do so.

After that, I thought about taking another night buss from Toyama/Kanazawa to Kyoto. Which is the better option?

When in Kyoto, there's a ticket called Kintetsu Rail Pass which covers Kyoto, Nara, Ise, Mie, Osaka and Nagoya for 5 consecutive days and costs 3,700 yen (though ordering it from USA makes it 5,000 yen). If I'll use it just for Nara, Ise and Nagoya, does it pays off?
Is there a better deal from Kyoto that includes Nara, Koya-san and Ise?

After being in Kyoto and the area, I'll take another night buss to Hiroshima.

From Hiroshima - night buss to Fukuoka? or should I skip it and go straight to Osaka, my final stop?

Thank you very much.
by Jane (guest)  

... 2012/7/17 12:30
I want to travel Japan without using the JR pass (on a budget...). I'm hoping to manage by using a 5-days buss pass (14,000 yen), the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass (the one that costs 10,000 yen and is valid for 7 consecutive days) and maybe a Seishun 18 as well.

Sounds good. How long have you got. Where do you plan to go?

Can I use the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass in order to get from Sapporo to Nagano in less than 24 hours?

I think you can ride the Hamanasu to Aomori in a non-reserved seat overnight for an extra 1260yen. Worth considering.

But I don't think you can get from Aomori to Nagano that same day.

Or will it be a better idea to go back to Tokyo from Sapporo and then take a night buss to Kanazawa/Toyama using the buss pass?

Seems a bit awkward.

I really want to visit Kamikochi, Takayama and Shirakawa-go, and not sure what is the best way to do so.

If including Kanazawa then Kanazawa - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus) - Takayama - (bus) - Kamikochi. Or the reverse. None of those would be covered by the Willer bus pass I think.

After that, I thought about taking another night buss from Toyama/Kanazawa to Kyoto. Which is the better option?

What are the list of places you wish to go?

When in Kyoto, there's a ticket called Kintetsu Rail Pass which covers Kyoto, Nara, Ise, Mie, Osaka and Nagoya for 5 consecutive days and costs 3,700 yen (though ordering it from USA makes it 5,000 yen). If I'll use it just for Nara, Ise and Nagoya, does it pays off?

Yes, even just for Nagoya return it pays off:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html

Is there a better deal from Kyoto that includes Nara, Koya-san and Ise?

Don't think so.

[sq]From Hiroshima - night buss to Fukuoka? or should I skip it and go straight to Osaka, my final stop?

Depends on your interest. There are quite a few day buses between Fukuoka and Hiroshima as it is only four hours.

Maybe if you explain where you wish to go, how many days you have in total, and what dates you are travelling it might be easier to advise.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 16:20
I'll have 6 weeks to explore Japan between August 20th-October 3rd.

August:
20-22: Tokyo (is PASMO the best way to travel in the city?)
23-24: Nikko (3,600 yen round trip for 2 days)
25: one more day and night in Tokyo
26: a long journy to Sapporo. activating the Hokkaido & East JR pass for 7 days.
27-31: traveling around Hokkaido.

September:
1: journy back to... where? I need to get somewhere in 24 hours.

Question: will the seishun 18 cover the busses between Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama and Kamikochi? Is there a good deal to travel between those places? What is the recommended time to spend in each of them?

I'm still trying to decide whether to include Toyama and Nagoya in my itinerary. If I do, how shall I do it from Takayama area?
I can take a buss from either Toyama or Kanazawa to my next stop - Kyoto.

Arriving to Kyoto around 5-7th of September?
Activating the 5-days Kintetsu Rail Pass and traveling as so:
-two days in Nara
-one day in Ise
-two days in Nagoya?
-back to Kyoto

11-18: exploring Kyoto
19: Night-buss to Hiroshima. Exploring the city.
20: Miyajima. (If I'll change the order of things and be in Hiroshima before September 10th, I can use the seishun 18 for the Miyajima ferry. Worth considering?)
21: Hiroshima to Fukuoka. How long should I spend there?

I can take a buss from Fukuoka to Osaka, but I guess two weeks in Osaka is too much. Any other suggestions?

My interests are mostly nature, old architecture, nightlife, and if there are any festivals I don't know about...

Thanks!
by Jane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 17:12

Suica is better than PASMO, because it can be used on JR lines in other cities on your itinerary (Nagoya, Kyoto/Osaka/Nara, Fukuoka...).

26: a long journy to Sapporo. activating the Hokkaido & East JR pass for 7 days.

Why not start your journey towards Hokkaido from Nikko, instead of returning to Tokyo. You can take a Tobu rapid train (1320 yen) from Asakusa to Nikko, and buy the 1000 yen combination ticket for the three temples. It'll come out cheaper than the World Heritage Pass, and you won't waste time backtracking to Tokyo. Add the extra night in Tokyo to the beginning of your trip, and go to Nikko on the 24th.
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 18:27
From Hiroshima - night buss to Fukuoka? or should I skip it and go straight to Osaka, my final stop?

I can take a buss from Fukuoka to Osaka, but I guess two weeks in Osaka is too much. Any other suggestions?

Are you planning on visiting other destinations in Kyushu? You could do that before returning to Hiroshima/Osaka. If not, and if you don't have a spesific interest in Fukuoka either, then you can probably skip it.

The Fukuoka attractions listed on Japan Guide are mostly parks and shopping/entertainment centers, and you can visit parks and do shopping in many other places on your itinerary as well. I guess the yatai (food stalls) are one attraction that are unique to Fukuoka. I spent two nights in the city and felt like it was enough to see the sights I wanted to see. I wouldn've have minded spending three, but four would've been too much.

... 2012/7/17 20:39
I'll have 6 weeks to explore Japan between August 20th-October 3rd.

Sounds nice.

August:

Pasmo or Suica, yes.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

As mentioned above, might be easier/cheaper to go from Nikko.

27-31: traveling around Hokkaido.

Where? I usually recommend Hakodate, morning markets are good fun and the mountain would be nice in good weather
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5350.html

September:
1: journy back to... where? I need to get somewhere in 24 hours.

I think it will be difficult to head west. I would probably just go back to Tokyo.

Question: will the seishun 18 cover the busses between Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama and Kamikochi?

No, Seishun is for trains.

Is there a good deal to travel between those places?

The only real option is by bus, not covered by Willer Express. Pricing is detailed on each of the individual city pages on japan-guide.

What is the recommended time to spend in each of them?

Depends on interest. I think one day in Shirakawago is fine, you could consider an overnight stay in a Gassho Zukuri. Takayama 2-3 days, Kanazawa 2-3 days.

I'm still trying to decide whether to include Toyama and Nagoya in my itinerary.

Do you want to see anything there?

If I do, how shall I do it from Takayama area?

By train would be best, bus is possible too.

I can take a buss from either Toyama or Kanazawa to my next stop - Kyoto.

Ok.

Arriving to Kyoto around 5-7th of September?
Activating the 5-days Kintetsu Rail Pass and traveling as so:
-two days in Nara
-one day in Ise
-two days in Nagoya?
-back to Kyoto

Seems fine.

11-18: exploring Kyoto
19: Night-buss to Hiroshima. Exploring the city.
20: Miyajima. (If I'll change the order of things and be in Hiroshima before September 10th, I can use the seishun 18 for the Miyajima ferry. Worth considering?)

The ferry is only 170 yen each way, so I probably wouldn't try and re-arrange just for that.

2-3 days I guess. Depends on what you want to see.

My interests are mostly nature, old architecture, nightlife, and if there are any festivals I don't know about...

Two weeks is probably too long in Osaka. Maybe consider visiting parts of Shikoku? Maybe include Tsumago and Magome before/after Kamikochi? Matsumoto after/before Kamikochi?

Tsumago
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6077.html
Magome
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6076.html
Matsumoto
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6050.html

You can probably loop these by doing something like:-
Nagoya - Tsumago - Magome - Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa - Kyoto

If you went Tokyo - Nagoya at the start, this might mean you don't need to use two days of the Kintetsu pass to go back to Nagoya from Kyoto.

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 21:51
Thank you for all your kind replies.

New plan:

August:
20-22: Tokyo
23-24: Nikko
25: journey from Nikko to Hokkaido
26-30: Hokkaido (Hakodate, Sapporo, Akan...)
31: back to Tokyo

September:
1: night buss to Nagoya
2-3: Nagoya
4: one way to Takayama (1,800 yen)
5: round trip to Kamikochi (1,800)
6: what do you say about this? http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/discount_ticket.html
7: from Takayama to Shirakawa-go (2,400 yen)
8: from Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa (1,800 yen)
9: Kanazawa
10: buss pass from Kanazawa to Kyoto
11-15: Nara, Ise, Koya-san
16-23: Kyoto
24: buss to Hiroshima
25: Hiroshima
26: day trip to Miyajima
27: ?
28: ?
29: ?
30-October 3rd: Osaka

So... no need for seishun 18?

... 2012/7/17 22:31
New plan:

Looks good now.

August:
20-22: Tokyo
23-24: Nikko
25: journey from Nikko to Hokkaido
26-30: Hokkaido (Hakodate, Sapporo, Akan...)
31: back to Tokyo

Fine.

September:
1: night buss to Nagoya
2-3: Nagoya
4: one way to Takayama (1,800 yen)
5: round trip to Kamikochi (1,800)

Kamikochi is more expensive to get to and from Takayama. 4860 yen return.

6: what do you say about this? http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/discount_ticket.html

I say that you don't have a JR East pass, so you can't use it.

7: from Takayama to Shirakawa-go (2,400 yen)
8: from Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa (1,800 yen)
9: Kanazawa
10: buss pass from Kanazawa to Kyoto
11-15: Nara, Ise, Koya-san
16-23: Kyoto
24: buss to Hiroshima
25: Hiroshima
26: day trip to Miyajima

Looks good.
27: ?
28: ?
29: ?
30-October 3rd: Osaka

So... no need for seishun 18?

Agreed.

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 22:49
The Hokkaido and East Japan Pass is only valid on local trains, right?

You won't be able to make it all the way from Nikko to Hokkaido during one day. You should be able to make it as far as Aomori if you take the earliest train in the morning, and spend all day traveling. Then on to Hakodate the next day.

Likewise, you won't be able to reach Tokyo from Hokkaido in one day using local trains. Check the schedules on hyperdia.com. If you have the Willer bus pass, you could use it to travel from Aomori to Tokyo.

... 2012/7/17 23:10
The Hokkaido and East Japan Pass is only valid on local trains, right?

Yes, with a few exceptions (Limited express through the tunnel)

You won't be able to make it all the way from Nikko to Hokkaido during one day. You should be able to make it as far as Aomori if you take the earliest train in the morning, and spend all day traveling. Then on to Hakodate the next day.

You can do Tokyo to Sapporo in 24 hours if you pay 1260yen and use Hamanasu:-
http://homepage3.nifty.com/gogo-happytrip/passinfo/tokyo_sapporo.html

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/17 23:14
Sorry, the 1,800 yen round trip from Takayama is to Nagano, not Kamikochi. Does it worth the trip?

Isn't the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass considered to be a kind of JR East pass that will allow me to get this? http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/discount_ticket.html

According to this page: http://wikitravel.org/en/Seishun_18_Ticket#Other_passes , the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass is valid for local services, the Kanita-Kikonai limited express, IGR Iwate and Aoimori Railways between Morioka and Aomori, Hokuetsu Express between Echigo-Yuzawa and Naoetsu, Hamanasu (‚Í‚Ü‚È‚·†) express night trains between Aomori and Sapporo (unreserved).
So is it possible to get from Nikko to Sapporo in 24 hours by using these lines?

... 2012/7/18 02:11
Sorry, the 1,800 yen round trip from Takayama is to Nagano, not Kamikochi. Does it worth the trip?

Where? Got a link? Are you saying Takayama to Nagano return for 1,800???

Isn't the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass considered to be a kind of JR East pass that will allow me to get this? http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/discount_ticket.html

No. I don't think so.

According to this page: http://wikitravel.org/en/Seishun_18_Ticket#Other_passes , the Hokkaido and East Japan Pass is valid for local services, the Kanita-Kikonai limited express, IGR Iwate and Aoimori Railways between Morioka and Aomori, Hokuetsu Express between Echigo-Yuzawa and Naoetsu, Hamanasu (‚Í‚Ü‚È‚·†) express night trains between Aomori and Sapporo (unreserved).
So is it possible to get from Nikko to Sapporo in 24 hours by using these lines?

Yes, as explained in the link I posted above:-
http://homepage3.nifty.com/gogo-happytrip/passinfo/tokyo_sapporo.html
Just take the JR Nikko line from Nikko to Utsunomiya and continue on.

You just have to pay 1260 yen each way to use Hamanasu.

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/18 06:16
Have you considered flying to Hokkaido/Sapporo? I'm in my early stages of planning a trip and am thinking about flying to Sapporo and back to save some money and time. Unless your reason to bus/train is to see the country, flying might be an option?

Jetstar Japan have prices starting about \6000 one-way from Narita to Chitose (Sapporo). But this depends on when you travel and how far in advance you book.
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/18 19:07
About the Takayama to Nagano trip - no, I've read it wrong.

About flying - didn't consider it because I figured it's too expensive for me.

So what would be a better way to get to Hokkaido?
a. go straight from Nikko.
b. go back to Tokyo, take a night bus to Aomori and continue from there.
c. both? go from Nikko, and on the way back take a night bus from Aomori to Tokyo. worth the use of one bus-pass? Will it save a lot of time?

How much money would you say the in-cities traveling will cost me altogether? (approximately, just to get an idea)

What's the latest I can make a train/bus reservation? Can I do it a day before or on same day?

Would you recommend the 4-day pass for the Alps Shinsyu/Hida area (10,000 yen)?

Thanks again.

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/19 15:20
Any answers please?

Re: Need some help with planning my trip 2012/7/20 16:23
So what would be a better way to get to Hokkaido?
a. go straight from Nikko.
b. go back to Tokyo, take a night bus to Aomori and continue from there.
c. both? go from Nikko, and on the way back take a night bus from Aomori to Tokyo. worth the use of one bus-pass? Will it save a lot of time?

Which seems like the most attractive way to you?

If you take the train option, you will have to transfer several times. But if you have the time, it could be nice to stop for a night somewhere in the Tohoku area, eg. Sendai or Hiraizumi, and do some sightseeing before continuing towards Hokkaido the next day.

If you take the night bus, you can sleep without worrying about transfers. Both take a long time. But if you take the night bus, you will save a full day.

I'd probably go with option c), take the train from Nikko, but then take the night bus on the way back. That way you can experience both.

How much money would you say the in-cities traveling will cost me altogether? (approximately, just to get an idea)

Maybe 500-1000 yen per day.

What's the latest I can make a train/bus reservation? Can I do it a day before or on same day?

It's not necessary (or possible) to book most local trains in advance. The Hamanasu night train seems to be popular and the reserved seats might get booked out. They also have unreserved seats, so I guess you may be able to get one if you get to the station and line up early enough.

According to their website, Willer Express has to be booked in advance if you're using the bus pass, but you can book any time.

I've booked a night bus in advance, but bought other bus tickets just before the departure.

Would you recommend the 4-day pass for the Alps Shinsyu/Hida area (10,000 yen)?

Is it cheaper than paying for individual tickets?

reply to this thread