Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/7/18 14:14
Hi all, I have a few questions about Shugakuin Imperial Villa.

You need a booking to see this, and as I understand it there are 3 main ways to get a booking;
1) in person, at Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Office, for a future visit
2) in person, at Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Office, for a "same day visit" (max group of 4, with max of 1 Japanese national)
3) online, for a future visit (http://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/english/order/order_simple_flow.html)

Option 3 seems the best for me, as we're visiting in November. However, as of right now, that site only allows bookings of up to October. Additionally, it looks like ALL slots are fully booked.
It also talks about a lottery to see who gets to go.

My questions are these;
a) does anyone know when the November slots might be opened on the booking website?
b) would every single slot (in October) be fully booked, or might it be a bug and/or misunderstanding on my part?
c) Does anyone know if tourists get much "luck" with the "same day, in person" requests?

We'd really like to visit the Villa, and want to maximise our chances.

thanks in advance

by ausmomo  

Re: Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/7/18 14:48
a) does anyone know when the November slots might be opened on the booking website?

If I recall, reservations don't open up until 3 months in advance. That could be why all the slots are filled already.

b) would every single slot (in October) be fully booked, or might it be a bug and/or misunderstanding on my part?

Only a limited number of slots can be booked online, so being full online doesn't mean the tours are fully booked. You can usually still book in person.

c) Does anyone know if tourists get much "luck" with the "same day, in person" requests?

Yes, same day bookings are fairly easy to get provided you are not travelling during a particularly busy time, and you are somewhat flexible. If possible, I would recommend going to the imperial household agency asap to book rather than wait until the day you want to take the tour.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/7/18 15:47
There is also option 4 which is convenient if you visit Tokyo before Kyoto:

book at Imperial Household Agency in Tokyo. They are located on the Imperial Palace grounds. To get there, go to Sakashitamon gate and tell the guard that you want to book a tour. We used this option for Katsura Rikyu, but I believe it works for other properties as well.
by Jensij rate this post as useful

Re: Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/7/18 17:15
They open the applications on the 1st of the month 3 months in advance, so on August 1 you NEED to apply if you want a chance for November.

The villas are highly competitive and Shugakuin Villa is a famous autumn site, so November applications will definitely fill up fast just like October did.

The lottery begins as soon as they start receiving applications, so applying on the 1st is your best chance to secure the reservation prior to the trip.

Also, if you are American, August 1 in Japan will begin on the last day of July so you could even apply then.

I would suggest applying and hoping you get the reservation first and if you do not get it and are still keen on going then do what others have suggested at the Imperial Household Agency.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/7/18 17:48
Just to add to my previous answer, November could be one of those busy times where it is difficult to get a reservation. Early November will be easier than late November, but regardless, it will definitely be worth trying to snag one of the online reservations if possible.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shugakuin Imperial Villa 2012/8/4 20:44
Sadly, my online applications for Shugakuin Imperial Villa and Katsura Imperial Villa were both "rejected". I made both bookings @ 5am 1st Aug, as the booking system came online.

I was careful with the form, so I hope rejected means 'you got unlucky and missed out'.

I'll go to the Imperial household Agency our first morning in Kyoto and try my luck there.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread