Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restaurant reservations 2012/7/27 15:07
If this is a whinge/complaint, please believe me it's only a minor one.

I'm trying to book about 8 restaurants during my stay (5 dinners, 3 lunches)(the rest of our meals are unplanned). Only one of these restaurants has email! The rest are phone only. I've called the first one, but the person on the other end spoke no English so we didn't get very far.

Would our hotel be able to help us make reservations once we arrive? Or would that be too much to ask?
by ausmomo  

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/7/27 15:10
Would our hotel be able to help us make reservations once we arrive?

Definitely if they have a concierge, but they may also be able to help you even if they don't have a concierge. Why not call them and find out?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/27 15:32
I think it is relatively common for your hotel to be able to assist with making bookings. Obviously it depends a little on the level of hotel you are talking about and whether they have staff that can understand your request in English.

Are all the restaurants in the one city? Which hotel(s) are you staying at?

In general I would try and e-mail the hotel in the city of the restaurants with your request and then perhaps follow up with a phone call if you don't get any response.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/27 15:35
You mention "once you arrive" but I would try and get this done well in advance. Depends on which restaurants of course. Care to list them?

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/7/27 15:51
We're staying at Kyoto Royal Spa and Hotel. All restaurants are in Kyoto.

Examples are;
Anji Seafood
Tempura Yosikawa
Omi Steakhouse
Zezekan Pocchiri (Chinese)

That's going from memory. I'll check my list when I get home.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/27 16:12
If you check tripadvisor for the hotel you will see that they respond in English and have an English speaking General Manager. I think you will have no problems requesting them to make the bookings for you.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/7/27 16:26
Good news indeed! I've contacted the hotel and they can make these reservations for me.
I hope they're not put out by it all.

by ausmomo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/27 16:42
Good news. I'm sure they will be happy to help!

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/8/4 20:01
I've been contacting restaurants (both in person and through my hotel) and I keep on getting asked what food we'd like to order.
A majority of restaurants have asked this.
This is very different to what I'm used to here in Aus. We just turn up, read the menu, and order.

Is this normal in Japan, or are they just trying to be overly helpful?
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/8/5 04:27
I've been contacting restaurants (both in person and through my hotel) and I keep on getting asked what food we'd like to order.
A majority of restaurants have asked this.

The japanese view food differently than the rest of us. They want to make certain you have the best possible experience. The Japanese just don't go shopping once and toss it into the freezer; knowing it will eventually be used. They hand pick enough for one or two days. That is why they are sticklers for reservations and ask questions ahead of time. They need time to properly prepare ;)

Prepare to be amazed.
by dzo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restaurant reservations 2012/8/5 04:41
Freshness of food material is critically important when you taste real Japanese dishes.

If you can inform them what you are thinking to order beforehand, they can choose the best food material at the best timing.

Enjoy your dinner.
by T (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread