Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 06:04
Any suggestions on how to plan a day trip to Naoshima from Osaka? Is it doable? I'm aware that the island can be seen in several hours by checking out the attractions in the southern coast. I'm a pretty quick observer and keep it moving. I don't have a specific time I need to be back in Osaka. I would like to depart Osaka early so I can get as much time in as possible. Can it be done?
by matic  

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 10:31
by mmt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 10:56
It can be done but you will be pushing it.

You will want to be on the 9:20am ferry from Uno Port. Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Okayama at 7:15am arriving 8:06am; JR Marine Liner from Okayama to Chayamachi dep 8:24am; train from Chayamachi to Uno at 8:40am arriving Uno 9:10am. (Weekdays; check timetable closer to your departure)

There is a lot to see on Naoshima. Yes, you can rush through quickly and I think it could be done but in my view it would be more enjoyable at a more leisurely pace. One issue you might have trying to fit everything in is getting around - there are buses but they do not run particularly frequently. To speed things up you could hire a bike. You should also go on a non-holiday weekday in the hopes of it being less crowded.

If you do decide to stay overnight, a cheap accommodation option is at cin.na.mon
http://www.cin-na-mon.jp/en/profile/index.html
by Aussiemystic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 11:55
thank you for your thorough explanation!

i would love to stay a night but my schedule is just too tight to extend another day. i will decide with your advice in mind. thanks again!
by matic rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 16:17
Naoshima is possible, as stated above. My friend lived in Osaka and we got their early enough to enjoy a nice day there. The Art House Project is pretty cool, a nice walk around the little town. A local saw us walkin around and offered us a ride! Very nice folk there. We also used the bus.
by Rahburt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 22:06
Yes, and if you use the bike rental you shouldn't have to rush at all to see everything. It's a great daytrip!
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima day trip from Osaka 2012/8/1 22:13
I would definitely rent a bike if I go! I'm bummed that I don't take my bike whenever I go to Japan, so that would be great!
by matic rate this post as useful

reply to this thread