Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 10:15
I plan to see autumn leaves in Kyoto this year. Which period is better between nov17-nov 24 or nov 24-dec 1.
by Wiy843  

... 2012/8/2 13:28
It is still a little early to predict but I would definitely pick nov 24-dec 1.

We went the last two years around this time.

Highly recommend to go to some of the night illumination events in Kyoto (Eikando, Kiyomizudera, Tenjuan, Kodaiji, etc.)

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 14:40
We're going to be in Kyoto from 13th Nov until 24th Nov. Is that "too early"?
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 14:44
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/2 14:52
It does vary year to year and the past two years have been "late".

You won't be too early to see good colours but you may not see the peak at all places in Kyoto.

Just go through the blogs during those travel dates to give you a good idea.
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo11/
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo09/
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo/

My advice is to keep a close eye on Japan-guide in the lead up and also while you are in Japan and then plan your days around what is recommended.

Also the tourist office in Kyoto Station usually has a board showing the level of Koyo at each site, they can also suggest some places to go.

Last year we completely re-arranged our whole itinerary due to the delayed colours. Kyoto when we arrived was still very green, so we moved it right to the end of our itinerary. We also reversed our order around Shikoku so we could see Kankakei Gorge last instead of first.

What is your current itinerary ausmomo?

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 15:18
rough itinerary;

Nov 13 : Arrive 6pm, dinner @ Kappo Sou teppanyaki

Nov 14 : walk around local area, inc Nishiki market and Gion

Nov 15 : Chion-in (market day), Maruyama park, lunch @ Izuju Sushi, Sannenzaka+Ninenzaka, Kiyomizu, dinner @ Anji

Nov 16 : Shugakuin (booking application made), Shisendo, Shimogamo shrine, Haru cooking class

Nov 17 : Nara

Nov 18 : Daitoku-ji, Kinkau-ji, lunch @ Ajiro, Ryoan-ji, dinner @ awomb

Nov 19 : Arashiyama Monkey Park, walk past Kitcho and pretend I can afford it, Tenryuji, bamboo forest, Okochi Sanso, Gioji temple, Saga-Toriimoto shopping. Lunch @ Yoshimura, dinner @ Hirokawa

Nov 20 : Osaka - Castle, Shinsaibashi arcade, lunch @ kani doraku dotonbori, Aquarium, back to dotonbori for some street food, sky/floating garden. Try to eat at Aiduya original takoyaki.

Nov 21 : To-ji temple and markets, lunch @ Omi steakhouse, Katsura Imperial villa (booking request made)

Nov 22 : Kyoto Imperial Palace (booking completed), Kyoto palace park, lunch @ hafuu, Nijo-jo

Nov 23 : Tofukuji, walk south to Fushimi Inari, lunch @ Yoshikawa tempura

Nov 24 : Nanzenji, philosopher's path, Ginkaku-ji, Omen noodles, depart

... 2012/8/2 15:38
Looks really good to me!

Like I mentioned above, I highly recommend the night illuminations even if you have already been to that temple/shrine before. They often look very different at night. Eikando was especially stunning, but we enjoyed them all really. I think so far we have been to night illuminations at Eikando, Kiyomizudera, Tenjuan, Kodaiji, Chionin, and Shorenin.

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 15:47
Yeah! Of course! I forgot to post my "night activities" folder! All of that is unplanned, ie to do any night we feel like it.

It includes some of what you've mentioned, plus;
Madoka sake bar, Kangaan (secret monk's bar), Asakura sake bar, night bus

thanks for the tips though.

I'm very happy with my planning, and this site has been a great help! Google Earth, too, that deserves a mention.

As for the Autumn colours, as I've got a lot of stuff booked on certain days I probably will just ride my luck. I kind of prefer the transition stages anyway, ie lots of green and red. Too much red is a tad boring, IMO.

... 2012/8/2 15:53
Sounds like you are very organised!

You have some room for flexibility anyway, depending how the season goes. You could always swap Osaka and Nara around, and even Nishiki/Gion could be swapped/moved.

Have you been to Kyoto for Autumn colours before?

Also, don't underestimate how busy it will be on the weekends in Kyoto. Trying to catch a bus can be almost impossible if you aren't at the originating/main stop. Not sure what you have planned for moving around but I'd strongly consider the subways + walk (or subways + taxi). In general though you aren't trying to cover too much ground each day so you should be ok.

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/2 21:51
Thank you gc3 for your advise. I already changed air tickets and hotel booking from 17-24 nov to 24 nov- 2 dec.
by Wiy843 rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/3 21:27
Hi I live in kyoto.
Though today I can only bookmark this thread, I hope I can tell you the situation of Kiyomizudera on period.

Good Luck.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/6 19:02
My family of four, including an elderly mother-in-law, will be in Kyoto 26 Nov to 30 Nov. Grateful if the Kyoto experts here could shed some light on the following:

(1) going by the hotel rates we're paying, this must be the super peak season. Therefore, if we were to commute by bus, would it be packed like sardines, joining long queues and having to wait a long time for the next available bus?

(2) There's night illumination for Kiyomizudera & Eikando. Does anyone know if there's night illumination for the Bamboo Groves over at Arashiyama?

(3) On our last day in Kyoto, 30 Nov, we intend to have our bulky luggages delivered to the Osaka hotel while we make our way to visit Fushimi Inari, then to Nara before ending up in Osaka late evening. Is there any discount train pass that covers this route?

Thank you in advance!!
by Richard (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/6 19:17
(1) going by the hotel rates we're paying, this must be the super peak season.

Yes. You can consider staying in Osaka and day tripping in if that helps the budget.

Therefore, if we were to commute by bus, would it be packed like sardines, joining long queues and having to wait a long time for the next available bus?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I strongly recommend subway, plus walk/taxi.

Having said that, if you don't mind the queue the buses from Kyoto Station tend to be ok. At most other bus stops around the city you will have a hard time getting on board though.

(2) There's night illumination for Kiyomizudera & Eikando. Does anyone know if there's night illumination for the Bamboo Groves over at Arashiyama?

Yes.

(3) On our last day in Kyoto, 30 Nov, we intend to have our bulky luggages delivered to the Osaka hotel while we make our way to visit Fushimi Inari, then to Nara before ending up in Osaka late evening. Is there any discount train pass that covers this route?

Yes, but individual tickets will be cheaper. Inari is on the JR Nara train line anyway.

Kyoto - Inari = 140 yen
Inari - Nara = 650 yen
Nara - Osaka = 780 yen

Nara to Osaka may be cheaper if you take Kintetsu Nara and depending on where your hotel is in Osaka.

... 2012/8/6 19:46
Does anyone know if there's night illumination for the Bamboo Groves over at Arashiyama?

Actually, you might be too early for the Arashiyama illuminations:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3943.html

So, maybe the bamboo groves there won't be lit up on the days you are there.

The Bamboo Grove at Kodaiji is lit up during the night illuminations, so perhaps add Kodaiji to your list (it is next to Kiyomizudera)
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3927.html

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/6 22:07
Thank you, GC3, for your replies. Some follow-up questions :

(1) you were in Kyoto around the same time for the past 2 years. Did you experience any road traffic gridlock? I'm asking this because to be stuck in such a situation in a cab is a nightmare I would want to avoid;

(2) Are there eateries/restaurants in the vicinities of Kiyomizudera/Kodaiji and Eikando? The idea is to have dinner near to these places and thereafter walk to see the night illumination.
by Richard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn in Kyoto 2012 2012/8/6 22:22
A walk between Kiyomizudera and Eikando (about 3km) will take you past the edge of Gion, and about 300 restaurants :)

If there's something you want, you'll find it! From cheap to super expensive.

Having said that, a lot of the places I've bookmarked seem to close at a time that I'd consider early. 7pm, 8pm. Times like that.
I say "a lot", not all.

... 2012/8/6 22:50
(1) you were in Kyoto around the same time for the past 2 years. Did you experience any road traffic gridlock? I'm asking this because to be stuck in such a situation in a cab is a nightmare I would want to avoid;

There was a huge traffic jam leading up to Kiyomizudera, so our taxi driver took us as far as he could and we walked up the rest of the way. We did take a few buses (from Kyoto Station) and they were ok traffic-wise. In general the taxi drivers seem to know how to take the back streets where required.

(2) Are there eateries/restaurants in the vicinities of Kiyomizudera/Kodaiji and Eikando? The idea is to have dinner near to these places and thereafter walk to see the night illumination.

Yes, there are quite a few restaurants around, also the streets up to Kiyomizudera have lots of snack/food vendors. Kiyomizudera also has a small restaurant (taki no ya) which serves tofu and udon next to the waterfall.

Recent thread:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+90772
Random blog:-
http://www.idelish.com/2011/01/07/japan-kyotos-kiyomizu-dera-tofu-and-...

Note also that if you want to enter the temples at the start of the night illuminations you will often have to queue for a while. We waited 50 minutes to get in to Eikando, but it was well worth the wait!

Queues tend to die down later in the evening.

reply to this thread