Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11 days itinerary for holiday in Japan 2012/8/5 03:48
Hi everyone,

we are a family of 4 (mom, dad, me, and my sister), will visit Japan this end of August (22/8 - 1/9). We will have a holiday of 11 days.
This is our first visit to Japan. Please help me to check and give me advise about my itinerary as follow:

Day 1: Arrive at Narita - Shinjuku - harajuku
Day 2: Asakusa - Odaiba - Ginza
Day 3: Hakone
Day 4: Osaka
Day 5: Kyoto - Himeji - Nara
Day 6: Kyoto
Day 7: Tokyo - Akihabara - Shibuya
Day 8: Nikko
Day 9: Disneyland
Day 10: Disneysea
Day 11: Fly back to my country

How do you think? Is it too busy? btw, do you have any suggestions when should I use the 7 days JR Pass?

Oh and frankly I want to visit Hokkaido. I heard that Hokkaido was very beautiful in August.
So, do you think which one is better, I go with Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka with Nikko, Hakone, and Disney Resort, or I go with Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka - Sapporo - Tokyo, with visiting only Disneysea?

tl, dr. :p
Thank you for your answers. I will really appreciate it. :)
by jasss25  

Re: 11 days itinerary for holiday in Japan 2012/8/5 17:24
Your itinerary is doable, but very busy. JR Pass has a good value if you use it from day2 to day8.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/5 17:33
we are a family of 4 (mom, dad, me, and my sister), will visit Japan this end of August (22/8 - 1/9). We will have a holiday of 11 days.

Overall it looks nice to me. I assume you like a fast pace of travel.

Day 1: Arrive at Narita - Shinjuku - harajuku
Day 2: Asakusa - Odaiba - Ginza
Day 3: Hakone

Do you plan to overnight in Hakone?

Usually the Hakone Free Pass which you can purchase at Odawara is useful in Hakone:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
Hakone Round Course:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html

Day 4: Osaka
Day 5: Kyoto - Himeji - Nara
Day 6: Kyoto

Note that Himeji is behind scaffolding due to renovations:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
Consider Hikone Castle as an easy half-day trip from Kyoto instead.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

You can't really do Himeji and Nara in the one day anyway (or Hikone and Nara). I would consider combining Nara with Osaka, Nara in the morning and Osaka in the afternoon/evening.

Not sure where you plan to stay but you can pick either Kyoto or Osaka as your base and just day trip to the other (25 mins each way). Will save time moving hotels.

Day 7: Tokyo - Akihabara - Shibuya
Day 8: Nikko
Day 9: Disneyland
Day 10: Disneysea
Day 11: Fly back to my country

How do you think? Is it too busy?

It is quite busy, but ok if you like a fast pace.

btw, do you have any suggestions when should I use the 7 days JR Pass?

Probably day 2-8.

From Narita consider the Suica + NEX return package:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

Oh and frankly I want to visit Hokkaido. I heard that Hokkaido was very beautiful in August.

I don't think you will have time to fit Hokkaido in.

So, do you think which one is better, I go with Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka with Nikko, Hakone, and Disney Resort, or I go with Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka - Sapporo - Tokyo, with visiting only Disneysea?

Stick with option 1, your current plan.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 11 days itinerary for holiday in Japan 2012/8/5 17:56
thank you K and GC3 for your response.

I forgot tell that
day 3 I stay in Hakone
day 4 I stay in Osaka
day 5 & 6 I stay in Kyoto

anyway, I want to ask , which one should I choose between Hakone or Mount Fuji or Lake Kawaguchi? I'm kinda confussed what's really the difference between them?

thank you.
by jasss25 rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/5 20:46
which one should I choose between Hakone or Mount Fuji or Lake Kawaguchi? I'm kinda confussed what's really the difference between them?

They are a little different. Hakone is further away from Mt Fuji so you are slightly more likely to be able to see Mt Fuji from Kawaguchiko.

Hakone has a nice variety of transport along the loop course and is probably the more popular/well known place for tourists. It is also easier to get from Hakone to Osaka.

Kawaguchiko has some nice (not cheap) accommodation options which have a view of Mt Fuji (most in Hakone don't). Kawaguchiko is also popular for people climbing Mt Fuji due to Kawaguchiko 5th station.

I like them both but Hakone is probably the most sensible for you.

Re: 11 days itinerary for holiday in Japan 2012/8/6 20:51
thank you GC3.

should I buy osaka one day pass if I already have bought the Jr pass?

Re: 11 days itinerary for holiday in Japan 2012/8/6 20:55
thank you GC3.

should I buy osaka one day pass if I already have bought the Jr pass?

... 2012/8/6 21:18
Depends on what you wish to see/do in Osaka.

reply to this thread