Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can a poor man travel to Japan? 2012/8/6 00:26
I've been planning to travel to Japan for several years. However I haven't be able to get hired at any good paying job. My home painting job doesn't pay good at all. mainly just food and little savings.

I have thought of traditional travel by means of walking or taking a boat. I know martial arts and I know how to handle dangerous situations without fighting. I am experience by traveling to nearby towns.

Is it possible for a poor man 'from Oklahoma in the U.S.' to travel to Japan?
by TravelerWhereof  

Re: How can a poor man travel to Japan? 2012/8/6 10:00
Is it possible for a poor man 'from Oklahoma in the U.S.' to travel to Japan?

It is possible to do cheap travel in Japan, but it is still relatively expensive and sounds like it would be outside of your budget. Airfare is the largest cost, and even the deepest discount tickets are several hundred dollars. Once in country, the most extreme budget travellers can survive on 3000-5000 yen per day, but that doesn't not really allow you to do any sightseeing or travelling.

I would suggest you take the time to figure out a realistic budget and then save for that goal. It will not be worth coming otherwise.

Check out this page for more info on budget travel:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html

A few other comments:

I have thought of traditional travel by means of walking or taking a boat.

You can't walk to Japan (island country and all), and boat is just as expensive, and significantly longer than flying.

I know martial arts and I know how to handle dangerous situations without fighting.

Good to know, however it is unlikely that a the situation would ever arise where your martial arts skills will be necessary.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How can a poor man travel to Japan? 2012/8/9 01:47
If you really want to enjoy Japan, you'll just have to make that extra effort to save a bit more. I'm not saying that it's expensive to travel Japan, but wouldn't you want to enjoy the experience? I did the mega budget thing by staying at the traveler hostels and eating 7-11/Lawson and that was totally fine and actually enjoyed. But it's really the transportation that will cost you (airfare + JR Pass)

and you're not gonna need martial arts skills ever in Japan. it's the safest place you'll ever set afoot on this planet. straight up.
by matic rate this post as useful

There's other ways of travel... 2012/8/9 02:18
Thanks matic for your supportive answer. Reason why I stated martialarts or traditional travels like 'boat' and on foot; is because my Great-great Grandfather moved to the U.S. by working on a cargo ship.

And no matter where you are, there's always criminals or punks. I've been jumped many times and survived the fights. I practice selfdefense, because I think every traveler or citizen should learn self defense.

I don't want to go to Japan for comics, cartoons or traditional plays. I want to go, because I have some friends downthere I want to checkup on and I would like to learn traditional Japanese pottery and home buildin techniques.

It almost seems like everyone on the internet doesn't believe that someone can travel like the old fashion ways. I've met a old traveler (a hobo) that came all the way from Brazil. He rode a bike with his cargo on a wagon tide to the back of his bike.

I've traveled two towns from my home (27miles) on foot. I guess what I was asking, was: 'how did the ancient travelers in ancient times, travel safely'?

I live on a farm, I've slept outside at night. I have't gone two days far from my home, but I've walked very far without any problems.
by TravelerWhereof rate this post as useful

Re: How can a poor man travel to Japan? 2012/8/9 04:41
you're right about always being prepared for the worst. but taking a visit to Japan will make you realize that a different social climate from the US does exist. trust me on that.
by matic rate this post as useful

Re: How can a poor man travel to Japan? 2012/8/9 09:15
Keep in mind that we are not trying to discourage your trip, just give you realistic advice to help you plan appropriately. You did come here for advice right? And are not just looking for enthusiastic cheerleading I hope.

Also realize that we are advising you on regular tourist ways of visiting Japan. From that point of view, taking a boat is far more expensive than taking a plane.

Then again, you may try a more novel (these days) approach and secure passage to Japan working on a boat. Assuming you are able to do that then you will also have to be aware that immigration may prevent you from entering the country unless you can prove you have a way to leave Japan (plane ticket, etc.), or sufficient funds to purchase an outgoing ticket. Remember, Japan is not an immigrant country. They will have no problem denying your entry if it doesn't look like you are a regular tourist.

Anyway, what is your plan exactly? Have you considered visas? How long do you plan to stay? How much money exactly have you saved up? Keep in mind, these are not idle questions, but exactly what immigration may ask you in deciding whether or not you will be allowed into the country.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread