Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 12:52
I am having trouble finding ryokan accomodations, no matter what date I key in I get a no room available response. My travel days are very flexible, I can travel anytime,is there a best time to book ryokans as a single occupant?
by Cesar (guest)  

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 13:06
what site are you using? and what are your dates?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 13:18
As a solo, your option is very limited but not impossible..
Where are you going?
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 13:33
Try "Japanese Guest Houses." They are at
www.japaneseguesthouses.com

I have used them to book ryokan accommodation a few times. Yes, it can be harder to find places that accept single guests, but not impossible.

Best wishes
by katsura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 14:08
Thanks for all the responses. I can travel anytime after july 2013...and planning to stay for a month. The itineray depends on accommodation availability although I plan to visit Tokio, Mt Fuji area, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and possibly Okinawa if I have the time.I am looking for a more traditional japanese experience rather than the more westernized accommodations...I have tried several sites and in all I get the same response...no rooms avaialble even though the site allows for a single person option.
by Cesar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 14:25
I think you are trying to book far too early. Try booking next spring (3-4 months before you travel).
by katsura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 14:35
It's possible that you are booking too far ahead. I'm guessing if you tried to book a date in October this year you could if it says they have single rooms on the site.

by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/6 15:10
Tourists have exactly the same problem in Europe with hotels and trains..trying to book too far in advance....

By the way old timers like me still manage to travel everywhere without booking, or only at the last minute, as I fly standby never sure that I will fly the day I want to.

Also many western style budget hotels do offer a Japanese experience...not the bedding but the automated toilets, the staff, the Japanese breakfast...
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single traveler searching for ryokan 2012/8/8 13:27
Thank you for the advice...will do some research on Japan prior to the trip and will keep your advice in mind to try to book three or four months in advance.
by Cesar (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread