Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/7 01:28
I was thinking about going to the Nihonmatsu Lantern Festival (Oct 4-6th) and was trying to check the train route on Hyperdia. There is not a Nihonmastu Station on the Tohoku Line, but there IS a Nihommatsu Station. Is this the correct station to go to for this festival?
by ebaychucky311  

... 2012/8/7 09:25
Nihommatsu is the correct station name to use in Hyperdia.

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/7 12:32
Nihonmatsu Lantern Festival is to Nihonmatsu shrine what Gion Festival is to Yasaka shrine in Kyoto.

The shrine is only 150 meters from JR Nihonmatsu(or Nihommatsu) station.

Enjoy your trip!
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/7 12:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihonmatsu_Station
http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/49/0000306049/35/imgaf36a78ezik5...
http://www.machi-ga.com/07_fukushima/nihonmatsust/nihonmatsust004.jpg

Some stations(JR line or not) names roman letters are different by using special Hepburn romanization style.

This is one of small trivia :D
by BXX (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/7 13:35
Is this the correct station to go to for this festival?

Yes.

The city and the tourist association are using "Nihonmatsu" as a place name.

JR-East seems to be writing station names with alphabets in the revised Hepburn system, where [n] followed by [b] / [p] / [m] is expressed with "m" as in "Nihommatsu."

Spellings on Hyperdia are not always actual ones, but in this case "NIHOMMATSU" is the same as the JR-East spelling (except capitalization).

I think pronunciation I have heard on broadcastings is closer to that for "Nihonmatsu."
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/8 03:23
Thank You, for the prompt feedback. I now have to work on hotels. The other thing that I am thinking about is the Tshchiura Natitional Fireworks competition on the 6th. I feel that If I attend the Nihonmatsu festival on the 4th and 5th, that I may go back to Tokyo on the 6th, and take a train to Tshuchiura for the evening.

I have some time before the Takayama festival on the 9th and 10th, and was also thinking about going North first to Sandai, and doing the boat cruise of Matsushima Bay. My other idea was to spend ftwo day in the Hakone area and do the Hakone round course.

I have not figured this out yet.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: nihonmatsu or nihommatsu station 2012/8/8 04:09
Since you still seem to be considering your plans, you might also want to keep in mind the Soba festival in Matsumoto, Nagano October 6th-8th, and also that Nihonmatsu will be having a Chrysanthemum doll exhibition starting October 13th. I will be going to both of these with my husband and, unfortunately, we will be skipping the Lantern Festival.

Good luck finishing up your plans!
by Liane (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread