Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 18:50
Since Alien registration card has been abolished from 9th July 2012 what are other ways in which I can open a bank account if any one know the answer):
by Ibrahimkhan  

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 20:35
Well you just use the Resident Card (Zairyu Card) instead of the Alien Card, you can exchange the card at the immigration.
by Malabar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 20:40
I have a temporary visitor visa I can still get this resident card if yes from where and will it will be substitute the alien registration card?

by Ibrahimkhan rate this post as useful

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 21:02
No. Temporary visitors cannot get a zairyu card, it is only for residents (mid-long term).

Probably visitors will no longer be able to open bank accounts - which I suspect is part of the plan behind the new system.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 21:05
Thanks for the replay I also have got this info but I was wondering is their in anyway I can open a bank account. Well I guess their is no other way.

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/12 22:31
Maybe Japanese major banks hope to lessen bank accounts forgotten for many years. (They cannot presume whether a short-time visitor will continue to use a bank account or not.)

There seems to be confusion concerning the revision, so let me try clarification.

The revision of aliens' residency management system does not affect people who have been staying with "Temporary Visitor" status.
: These people have not been ones controlled under the abolished Alien Registration System / the current management system.
: These systems are designed basically for non-Japanese people with mid-term and long-term residence statuses to stay for more than three months in Japan.

If you have been a resident who were under the abolished Alien Registration System on 8 July 2012, then for a while until your Resident Card will be issued, your Alien Registration Certificate will be deemed equivalent to a Resident Card.
: You also got added to Basic Resident Registration System database (#). If you have not received a letter from your municipality regarding this, then contact your municipality or Call Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications [MIC].
- http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_content/000164091.pdf
- http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/pdf/language/007.pdf

# The Resident Registration database began to include non-Japanese residents from 9 July 2012 (= from the same day when the new management system was started).

If you newly get a mid-term or long-term residence status under the current management system, then a Resident Card will be issued for you.
: You also shall be added, through your notification, to Basic Resident Registration System database.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/14 19:28
Ibrahimkhan, reading your other messages, I think you misunderstood the meaning of "alien registration has been abolished", it does NOT mean that foreigners do not have to be registred and do not need an alien registration card or that there is no more "alien card".

Foreigners are still foreigners like in any country and they have to carry their registration card. They did not became citizen in 1 day. Japan is like western countries.
by Malabar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/14 19:33
Dear, MaLBAR I want to open my own company in Japan and for this I need bank account and with out alien registration Id i can not open a bank account

Re: Alien registration has been abolished? 2012/8/15 09:30
Smoke has answered this well in your other thread, but basically until the banks qualify their position with the new residency rules you will have to contact each bank individually to see what their policies are. However, it looks like it is not possible for temporary visitors to open bank accounts under the new residency system.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread