Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Golden Week 2013 2012/8/18 10:36
Hello everyone!

I am planning to go to Japan from 29/4 to 7/5, which is unfortunately is the golden week (i didn't know there was such things when i bought the ticket, my bad).

I am backpacking alone, and I am planning to go to Tokyo and Kyoto only.

Regarding this matter, i have some questions:

1. Is it okay (transport-wise and accomodation-wise) to go to Kyoto at April 30th? which seems to be a workday in the calendar. *I don't mind standing in the train*

2. Is it worth it to buy the JR rail pass if my schedule is like that?

3. Will backpackers hostel price go up too at golden week?

4. I'm still able to switch the plane ticket date, for about USD 200. Shall i do the switch? I mean, is it THAT BAD at golden week?

Sorry if I ask too many question, i hope someone could help me out of this confusion. Thanks.

Ebi
by Ebi (guest)  

Re: Golden Week 2013 2012/8/18 11:12
Is it okay (transport-wise and accomodation-wise) to go to Kyoto at April 30th?

Yes, April 30 will be almost like a regular weekday. Many trains will not be booked out. And even if the reserved seats are booked out, you can still ride the trains in the non-reserved section where - in the worst cse - you could stand.

Is it worth it to buy the JR rail pass if my schedule is like that?

A rail pass does not pay off for a one day trip from Tokyo to Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Will backpackers hostel price go up too at golden week?

I am not sure. I imagine it depends on the hostel.

I'm still able to switch the plane ticket date, for about USD 200. Shall i do the switch? I mean, is it THAT BAD at golden week?

May 3-6 can be expected to be very busy in the popular tourist and entertainment districts. Still, if you do not mind crowds that much, then it is not THAT BAD.

On all the other days, the situation will be very similar to normal weekdays/weekends.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2013 2012/8/18 13:12
Thank you very much Uji-san for the answer.

The Japanican tour is a bargain. I guess I'll be taking the 2 day tour to Kyoto.

For May 3-6, i guess i'll guess mostly i'll be shopping for souvenirs and commuting around Tokyo.Anyway, is Akihabara closed at public holiday?

Thanks again Uji-san you've been a great help.

by Ebi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2013 2012/8/18 13:50
I wrote:

A rail pass does not pay off for a one day trip from Tokyo to Kyoto:

I meant "one way" instead of "one day". If you make a round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto, a 7-day Japan Rail Pass will be a good value.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread