Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/23 14:59
Hi,

Finally i am in Japan, what an amazing country! Everything said about others is true, i have not regretted any minute of being here so far.

That aside, i have a question regarding paper lanterns i want to buy for myself. At several temples i have visited hang beautiful paper lanterns on the ceiling. I have seen several sold in souvenir shops, but they all look a little too touristic (cheap). I would like to know if there's shops in kyoto that sell these lanterns in good quality, preferrably ones that have been used (maybe with a little damage) for a good price. I have asked several people that work/clean in and around the temple, but they all say they have no clue where to buy these.

I'm sure there has to be a shop around here that sells them.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
by Marcus (guest)  

Re: Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/23 16:58
Takahashi Chochin K.K. in Kyoto since 1730.
BTW, they made the famous lantern on the KaminariMon, Asakusa.
http://www.chochin.jp/
But, I think it may be so expensive.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/23 17:04
Sorry, it's a map.
http://www.chochin.jp/company/index.html
That's say that Hankyu Karasuma-station (Exit 12) or municipal Shijo-station are nearby.

Re: Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/24 10:07
Thank you so much! it's pretty close to our hotel also. (the one on Ayanokoij Dori). Do you know when this shop closes? I have alot to see today and not sure if i will be in time to get there before it closes.

Thanks again.

Marcus
by Marcus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/24 14:25
Oh, sorry.
They say "at 9-17 on weekday".
They make by hand.
http://www.chochin.jp/introduce/index.html
If you have a picture of favorite lantern,
they must be able to accept your order.

Re: Quality paper lanterns where to buy (kyoto) 2012/8/27 09:21
Thank you so much for your information, without your information we would have never found this store. Even with the address local people didn't all know where the street was. So we gladly found 2 policemen that used navigation on their smartphones to guide us.

We bought a lantern that was hanging in the shop. I asked if it was new, she said yes, but i really doubt that because the white paper is all yellow, and the paper smells of fried chicken :) But that's what we wanted, we wanted a used one so it has a story with it. Not sure what the text on the lantern says though, i hope it's not saying "fried chicken, come in" or something, but maybe it's best not to know then...

Best regards,

Marcus
by Marcus (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread