Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 11:16
In considering how best to get to Shibuya station from Narita airport, do you need to change trains between Narita and Shibuya station or does the train go directly to Shibuya with some stops along the way. If I must change trains, perhaps I would be better off taking a bus to a hotel near the Shibuya station. Another concern I have is getting on the correct train, since as I understand it you must have a reserved seat. I am just a little concerned that I might miss the correct train with my reserved seat. From what I understand, however, if I missed my correct train I could always stand. Thanks in advance for any answers and suggestions!
by tumbleweedtoo  

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 12:29
You take the NEX train directly to Shibuya. If you miss your train you can exchange your ticket, but you can't stand on a different train.

The limousine bus might be easier for you if it goes directly to your hotel.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 16:16
Just show your ticket to station staff and they will show you the correct train to take.

BTW, if you take the NEX, get the Suica+NEX package as it gives you effectively a 50% discount on the train ticket.
by Jensij rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 18:24
From what I understand, however, if I missed my correct train I could always stand.

Yes, though only on the same day, if you have got your ticket directly from a JR company.
Rules may differ when a travel agency stands between.

I suppose you are unlikely to miss your Narita Express train.
The official reservation website of JR-East does not suit your purpose because it requires a user to pick up a ticket by the previous night.
So, unless you ask a travel agency, you will try reservation after clearing immigration procedure, at a counter of a Travel Service Center / a ticket office of JR-East in NRT Terminal 1 or 2. Attendants of JR-East would never recommend you to take a train you may miss.

You can choose non-express trains instead of a Narita Express, but I have never heard that Narita Express trains were fully packed for hours.

Umami Dearest: If you miss your train you can exchange your ticket, but you can't stand on a different train.

Neither is correct.
A JR ticket indicating a reserved seat can be exchanged only before the scheduled departure time.
If a passenger misses the train, only option is to take a later train without reservation on the same day. A passenger who has missed a Narita Express train is allowed to take another without having a seat, because all seats of Narita Express trains require reservation and there is no substitute Ltd. Express service offered by a JR company.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 21:03
it's near impossible to miss a NEX train from narita airport, they won't sell you a ticket for a train that's about to depart and it only takes a minute to get to the platform.

platforms are clearly marked for each train and carridge in both japanese and english. There is only two platforms are narita - one for JR and the other is KEISEI, so you can't get onto the wrong flatform, as you ticket won't allow it.

and the NEX is never full, i've caught it a dozen times and it's never been more than a third full!
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/25 23:50
Fantastic! You all have relieved me of my first major concern. I think once I get located at my hotel, I can ask others questions from there if I need to do so, and I probably will. I think I will take the train with no problems. Thanks for your help!
by tumbleweedtoo rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/26 03:02
Well I managed to miss my NEX train the other day, they sold me a ticket that was leaving within 10mins, probably because I said I wanted a ticket for the nex(t) train. I went to grab a coffee and missed it. No biggie though, though I felt stupid for not noticing, they gave me a new ticket for the next train without hassle. So no need to worry.

As already pointed out, if you're staying anywhere near a major trainstation where the NEX stops, the NEX+SUICA combo/deal can't be beaten. Lot cheaper and comfortable than a long bus ride.
by takehiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shibuya? 2012/9/26 05:25
Thanks for sharing how cooperative the ticket masters can be when a mistake is made! I do plan to buy the NEX+SUICA combo, which I think I can buy upon arriving at Narita, since I will have a passport. Unless anyone else knows the answer to this question too,I will need to do some more research on whether I can bring Travelers Checks and convert them at the airport to yen, or if I need to bring some yen with me. I would not like to be stuck at the airport with a couple of credit cards and some Travelers Checks and not be able to buy a train ticket. I would imagine the officials at the airport have a solution for this problem too.
by tumbleweedtoo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread