Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/9/27 22:39
Hi, I appreciate if anyone can comment on my itinerary for this coming Nov and perhaps give some suggestion to it. Many thanx in advance.

3 Nov: Arrive KIX in the evening - Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori
4 Nov: Early morning depart to Tokyo (base Ikebukuro),Shinjuku Gyoen, Shinjuku metropolitan, Shibuya
5 Nov: Tokyo Disneyland, Ikebukuro
6 Nov: Odaiba, Asakusa, Sky tree
7 Nov: Early morning trip to Kawaguchiko, back to Tokyo by mid afternoon, Saitama Railway museum
8 Nov: Kyoto - Kamogawa, Gion, Pontocho area
9 Nov: Half day trip Kobe
: Half day Osaka Kaiyukan, bay area and xplore Osaka (where time permit)
10 Nov: Kiyomizudera, Philosopher's walk in Higashiyama, Nishiki market
11 Nov: Arashiyama, Sagano train, xplore Kyoto city - Kawaramachi etc
12 Nov: to KIX to cacth flight in the evening

* Hoping to hear suggestion whether this plan is ok, or shall I add more/reduce activities on each days.
* Really need help on date 7 Nov, is going to Kawaguchiko early morning and then back to tokyo a doable idea. Where shall I go if the weather is not suitable for Mt Fuji viewing. Any place with a very traditional, village with a scenic view as a backup plan? (into photography travel)
* Half day morning 12 Nov is there anything I can do during this time to make this trip to the fullest before going to KIX at 11-11.30am.
* I plan to take JR railway pass and JR west pass. Activate on 3 Nov to take Haruka Lmtd Xpress (KIX-Shinsaibashi). Then, have to use JR west pass to take Haruka lmtd xpress to KIX on 12 Nov. Is there any other economical way for me? Shall I buy the Kyoto toku special ticket instead?
* Appreciate if you can factor in that I'll be traveling with my family (4 of us) age around 50's and 20's, with luggages, so number of train transfer is priority.

Thank you so much for your help. I hope I can make it to Japan this time.

by purplela  

... 2012/9/28 09:18
Hi, I appreciate if anyone can comment on my itinerary for this coming Nov and perhaps give some suggestion to it. Many thanx in advance.

Overall it looks fine. It is a relatively fast pace.

3 Nov: Arrive KIX in the evening - Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori
4 Nov: Early morning depart to Tokyo (base Ikebukuro),Shinjuku Gyoen, Shinjuku metropolitan, Shibuya

I'd probably see Meiji Jingu, Yoyogi Park, and Harajuku on this day (Sunday). You could also see Shinjuku Metropolitan and Shibuya in the afternoon/evening. If you have a special interest in the garden I guess you could include it if you leave very early.

Note that I would probably store my luggage at a station somewhere (Shibuya?) rather than trying to check in to Ikebukuro first as that will take a bit of time.

5 Nov: Tokyo Disneyland, Ikebukuro

Assuming you mean late night for ikebukuro.

6 Nov: Odaiba, Asakusa, Sky tree
7 Nov: Early morning trip to Kawaguchiko, back to Tokyo by mid afternoon, Saitama Railway museum

I'd spend all day in Kawaguchiko. Move Saitama to Nov 6.

The rest seems fine although you may not see much in Kobe.

* Really need help on date 7 Nov, is going to Kawaguchiko early morning and then back to tokyo a doable idea.

It is theoretically possible but I wouldn't suggest it.

Where shall I go if the weather is not suitable for Mt Fuji viewing.

Keep your other Tokyo days flexible and if the day dawns clear then go to Kawaguchiko.

Any place with a very traditional, village with a scenic view as a backup plan? (into photography travel)

A few day trips from Tokyo are listed under Side Trips here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

I'd pick Kamakura or Nikko or maybe Kawagoe.

* Half day morning 12 Nov is there anything I can do during this time to make this trip to the fullest before going to KIX at 11-11.30am.

Kinkakuji:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3908.html

* I plan to take JR railway pass and JR west pass. Activate on 3 Nov to take Haruka Lmtd Xpress (KIX-Shinsaibashi). Then, have to use JR west pass to take Haruka lmtd xpress to KIX on 12 Nov. Is there any other economical way for me?

I would get the ICOCA + Haruka return package, instead of any JR West Pass.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_icoca_haruka.html

Use Haruka ticket to get to Tennoji Station in Osaka on the first night. Use Icoca to get to Shinsaibashi. Use Haruka ticket at the end to get from Kyoto back to KIX.

A 7-day JR Pass will pay off but I'd set activation date as Nov 4. Note you can set this at Kansai Airport on Nov 3 when you exchange your voucher and you can also book seats on the Shinkansen when you arrive at Kansai Airport.

If you haven't booked hotels I'd probably book a hotel near Shin-Osaka Station on Nov 3 to make the early morning departure easier/quicker. You could then take Haruka all the way to Shin-Osaka, check in, then use Icoca to go to Shinsaibashi/Dotonbori and use Icoca to return to Shin-Osaka late at night.

Shall I buy the Kyoto toku special ticket instead?

Which one? I don't think it is needed.

* Appreciate if you can factor in that I'll be traveling with my family (4 of us) age around 50's and 20's, with luggages, so number of train transfer is priority.

Seems fine.

Thank you so much for your help. I hope I can make it to Japan this time.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/10/11 12:41
hi thanks for the suggestion. here is the revise itinerary:
3 Nov: Arrive KIX in the evening
- Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori
//Accommodation already booked in Shinsaibashi
4 Nov: Early morning depart to Tokyo (base Ikebukuro)
-Meiji Jingu, Yoyogi Park, and Harajuku
-Shinjuku Gyoen,Shibuya (late afternoon till night)
5 Nov: Tokyo Disneyland
-Ikebukuro (late evening)
6 Nov: Railway museum Saitama, Odaiba, Asakusa, Sky tree
7 Nov: Kawaguchiko (if nice weather)
8 Nov: Kyoto - Kamogawa, Gion, Pontocho area
9 Nov: Kiyomizudera, Philosopher's walk in Higashiyama, Nishiki market
10 Nov: Arashiyama, Sagano train, xplore Kyoto city - Kawaramachi etc
11 Nov: Osaka Kaiyukan, bay area and xplore Osaka
12 Nov: Early morning to Kinkakuji
//11.30am:to KIX to cacth flight in the evening

Regarding train ticket, this is the special ticket I meant in the question:
3 Nov: KIX to Shinsaibashi - The hostel suggest Kanku Chikatoku Ticket
http://www.nankai.co.jp/global/english/traffic/ticket/kankuspecial/ind...
http://www.nankai.co.jp/global/english/traffic/ticket/pdf/chikatoku.pd...

12 Nov: Kyoto to KIX - Kanku Access Ticket (Hankyu)
http://www.nankai.co.jp/global/english/traffic/ticket/kankuspecial/ind...
http://rail.hankyu.co.jp/files/ticket/kanku-2.pdf

*Nankai Railway

Hope anyone can advise if using this ticket is economical/easier or shall I opt for the advised Icoca+Haruka return ticket.
I welcome any suggestion to improve this itinerary.

Thank you
by purplela rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/11 13:05
Revision looks good.

I'm not sure I would go to Shinjuku Gyoen but that's up to you. The autumn colours won't be there yet so it may just look like a big garden, and you already see a lot of green with Meiji and Yoyogi.

Where is your hotel in Kyoto?

I think if hotel is near Kyoto Station then I'd do as I suggested.

If hotel is near Karasuma Subway Station or Kawaramachi in Kyoto then the Chikatoku + Kanku-2 combo might work ok.

I think I'd still rather take the Haruka and avoid the changing at Tengachaya and the normal commuter trains.

... 2012/10/11 13:23
Also Haruka from Kyoto Station takes around 75 mins with no transfers required.

Kanku-2 from Kawaramachi will take around 110 mins, and needs at least two transfers of trains.

Re: suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/10/11 14:02
thanx for the prompt feedback.However can you help me with this alternative?
1) I'm thinking of getting JR railway pass 7 day to cover Osaka-Tokyo-Kyoto.
2) I'll take the Haruka then straight from Kyoto Sta. to KIX on the last day since my hostel is near the station.
Now, should I buy JR west pass 1-day 2000yen in addition with the 7 day JR pass or buy the Haruka+Icoca as u suggested?
I'll be using the Kanku Chikatoku ticket 980yen from KIX to Shinsaibashi upon arrival.

I'm now a bit confuse as to which ticket is the most economical and easy, Haruka+Icoca return ticket (4000yen) or Kanku CHikatoku ticket Osaka (980yen)+JR west pass 1 day ticket(2000yen).
I have to study back all the routes using hyperdia. ^^

... 2012/10/11 14:23
Overall we are probably only talking about 1000 yen difference or less so there might not be a bad option.

1) I'm thinking of getting JR railway pass 7 day to cover Osaka-Tokyo-Kyoto.

Obviously you should do this.

2) I'll take the Haruka then straight from Kyoto Sta. to KIX on the last day since my hostel is near the station.

Ok.

Now, should I buy JR west pass 1-day 2000yen in addition with the 7 day JR pass or buy the Haruka+Icoca as u suggested?

It doesn't really matter too much. The ICOCA + Haruka return is "better" but only if you plan on actually using it to get to your hotel in Osaka on the first night.

I'll be using the Kanku Chikatoku ticket 980yen from KIX to Shinsaibashi upon arrival.

In which case the JR West One Day Pass 2000 yen is probably the next most convenient option. Obviously not the cheapest.

I'm now a bit confuse as to which ticket is the most economical and easy, Haruka+Icoca return ticket (4000yen) or Kanku CHikatoku ticket Osaka (980yen)+JR west pass 1 day ticket(2000yen).

HAruka and ICOCA is the cheapest. Chikatoku + JR West One Day might be slightly "easier"

The other option is to activate the JR Pass on Nov 3 and use it to get to Tennoji (on Haruka) then pay the 230 yen for subway from Tennoji to Shinsaibashi. This would mean your pass expires on Nov 9 so you couldn't use the JR Pass on Nov 10 to get from Kyoto Station to Arashiyama but this is cheap anyway (230 yen each way). You'd still have to get a JR West One Day Pass to go from Kyoto to KIX on the last day.

Again, there is not much difference but the Haruka + ICOCA return package is the cheapest and probably the best.

... 2012/10/11 14:25
Chikatoku + JR West One Day might be slightly "easier"

I'll just correct this, I actually don't think this is easier as you still have to transfer on the way to Shinsaibashi.

Re: suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/10/11 21:40
4 Nov: Early morning depart to Tokyo (base Ikebukuro)
-Meiji Jingu, Yoyogi Park, and Harajuku
-Shinjuku Gyoen,Shibuya (late afternoon till night)

I'm afraid that you'll get tired to walk hard all the day.
Although I always get tired so hard while travelling.

How about this.
1. walk around in Meiji Jingu/Yoyogi Park
2. ride train to Shinjuku Metropolitan and Lunch
3. walk around in Shinjuku Gyoen if you can
4. ride train to Harajuku
5. walk/train to Shibuya and Dinner

BTW, don't miss HachiKo near the busiest crossing in front of Shibuya station.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8TuxoSZeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U7mAnPtw4
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/10/11 22:26
Thanx GC3, I'll try rearrange the train route using the icoca+Haruka route. I hope this ticket is useful too when I visit Osaka (bay area and nearby area)

ajapaneseboy, yea true, maybe I have to revise back the plan to avoid being exhausted on the 1st day due to too much walking.

If there's one garden I should not miss, which is the best around that time (early autumn)?

Yoyogi seems like a nice place, and at the same time Shinjuku gyoen is having chrysanthemum display. Maybe I go both. I know I should have bought a flight ticket later towards December to see autumn at its peak..
Just hope the weather this year do some wonders.

... 2012/10/12 08:27
I'd read this report from Nov 15, 2011 and maybe consider Showa Kinen Koen
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo11/111115_tokyo.html

I think Kawaguchiko is likely going to provide the best colours while you are there though.

Re: suggestion on itinerary this November 2012/10/12 16:52
i've been thinking of showa kinen koen too before but realising that it'll take about 1hr to go there i skip the idea. But looking at the page again, I would love to swap some of the plan to go there.
I'll make the trip very loose and open for any changes.
Thank you so much for all the advice.

reply to this thread