Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/9/29 19:23
Hi

What's a relatively fast and cheap way to get from Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka?

It seems like I'll need to make several transfers if I were to take the public transport. I'm considering driving. Would it be more convenient?
by blithe_23@hotmail.com (guest)  

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/9/29 22:08
There is a special ticket for only 3040 yen one way that let's you take the highway bus from Fukuoka to Isahaya and then the local bus to Unzen Onsen. There are three connections per day:
http://www.shimatetsu.co.jp/bus/kousoku2.htm

A rental car is a good alternative not only for access, but also to get around the peninsula.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/9/29 22:59
Thanks Uji for the prompt reply!

Actually my companion and myself will be travelling from Kumamoto to unzen onsen via ferry from Kumamoto ferry terminal, staying at unzen onsen for two nights and heading straight back to Fukuoka city.

We'll be staying in the main onsen area.. Will it be necc to rent a car for those 2 days? Would it be hard to get ard unzen area? If it's not too inconvenient to travel ard unzen on public transport, does it make sense to rent the car just to return to Fukuoka?

I have one full day to get back to Fukuoka, so I guess if we rent a car we coul visit some places along the way. Any suggestions how to go abt doing it?

I'm not really inclined to public transport as it looks quite inconvenient...

Thanks again
by Blithe_23 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/9/30 04:42
Unzen itself is not big and can be explored on foot. It would seem odd just to rent a car to get back to Fukuoka and in any case I am not aware of any car rental outlet in Unzen.

If you don't want to rent from Kumamoto taking the car on the ferry, you can rent from Shimabara and drive up to Unzen. Shimabara is worth a visit for its castle, the samurai quarter, carp filled streams, the Mt Unzen Disaster Memorial Hall and the Suffer House Preservation Park. We actually find more time is needed in Shimabara than in Unzen. For sightseeing in Unzen a couple of hours walk around town including the Daikyokan Jigoku hell area is quite adequate.

Coming down on the other side of Unzen, the logical next stop would be Nagasaki which deserves a couple of day exploration. If you are into theme park there is the popular Huis ten Bosch. For scenery there are the Kujuku/Tsukumojima Islands nicknamed 99 islands. And on the way to Fukuoka you can stop by the ceramic and pottery towns of Arita and Imari. The picturesque village of Okawachi-yama is worth a photo stop.

2 things to note if you opt for a rental car. There will be an additional drop-off charge if you rent from Kumamoto or Shimabara and return in Fukuoka. The road up and down Unzen is steep and winding, so be extra careful especially if you intend to go during winter months.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/9/30 08:40
Will it be necc to rent a car for those 2 days? Would it be hard to get ard unzen area?

The onsen town itself is compact, but if you want to explore the area around Unzen or go hiking on Unzen, you will find a rental car to be much more convenient than public transportation. However, it is not necessary.

There is no rental car outlet in Unzen Onsen, but there is at least one Toyota outet down in the city center of Shimabara. Alternatively, you can rent the car from Kumamoto as explained by William.

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/10/14 16:09
Thanks uji. Have fixed that part.

Can you give some tips on travelling from Kumamoto to unzen? I'm aware that I can take a Kyushu ferry from Kumamoto to shimabara, then a bus to unzen. Are there any combined tickets for this journey? Or do I have to buy the tkts separately?
by Blithe_23 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unzen Onsen to Fukuoka 2012/10/15 08:27
I am not aware of any combination tickets.

reply to this thread