Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/7 01:29
I am planning to travel from Takayama to Shirakawa-go on 7 Nov and the Japanese Alps Shinhotaka Ropeway on 8 Nov. Can I buy the above 2 days pass to use for both places ? I need to leave Takayama on 8 Nov to go to Kyoto by 3pm, can I finish Shinhotaka Ropeway in time to make it back to Takayama by 3pm? Is there any place I can leave my luggage while sight seeing Shinhotaka Ropeway ? Thanks !
by rosc2y  

Re: Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/7 11:26
I am planning to travel from Takayama to Shirakawa-go on 7 Nov and the Japanese Alps Shinhotaka Ropeway on 8 Nov. Can I buy the above 2 days pass to use for both places ?

No, access to Shirakawago is not covered by that pass!

I need to leave Takayama on 8 Nov to go to Kyoto by 3pm, can I finish Shinhotaka Ropeway in time to make it back to Takayama by 3pm?

Yes, especially if you start your day early, that should be easily possible:
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/hirayu_shinhotaka.html

Is there any place I can leave my luggage while sight seeing Shinhotaka Ropeway ?

How about storing the luggage in a coin locker at Takayama Station? Or if your Takayama hotel is close to the station, they will probably be able to hold your luggage until your train's departure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/9 00:53
Thank you for the helpful info.

I am using the 7 days JR Pass. May I know if subways are also covered with the JR Pass ? If not covered, which other subway day pass I should purchase so that transport will be more affordable ? Itinerary is as follows
Day 1 - Haneda
Day 2 - Takayama / Japanese Alps (start using JR Pass)
Day 3 - Shirakawa-go
Day 4 - Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto
Day 6 - Osaka
Day 7 - Mt Fuji
Day 8 - Tokyo

Also I understand voltage in Japan is different. I am from Malaysia - can i just plug in and use my electrical items like chargers for phones and cameras ?

Thanks!
by rosc2y rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/9 00:57
Also if I am arriving Takayama around 3pm, will I have time to see the Japanese Alps ? which is better (and more realistic to cover) Kamikochi or Shinhotaka ? Thanks.

Re: Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/9 07:33
I am using the 7 days JR Pass. May I know if subways are also covered with the JR Pass ?

No, they are not covered, because they are not operated by JR.

If not covered, which other subway day pass I should purchase so that transport will be more affordable ?

Day passes for Kyoto are explained here (towards the end of the page):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

For Osaka here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

As for Tokyo, there are no good day passes, and I recommend to use regular tickets or a prepaid card:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

Itinerary is as follows
Day 1 - Haneda
Day 2 - Takayama / Japanese Alps (start using JR Pass)
Day 3 - Shirakawa-go
Day 4 - Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto
Day 6 - Osaka
Day 7 - Mt Fuji
Day 8 - Tokyo

The pass won't pay off if you start using after the Tokyo-Takayama journey. It is more likely to pay off if you use it from day 1 to 7.

Also I understand voltage in Japan is different. I am from Malaysia - can i just plug in and use my electrical items like chargers for phones and cameras ?

I am not familiar with Malaysian plugs. But if they fit Japanese outlets, it will be okay as long as they have a built-in voltage adapter. It is almost standard with laptops, but I am not sure with regards to cameras and phones.

Also if I am arriving Takayama around 3pm, will I have time to see the Japanese Alps ?

No, I am afraid the sun sets around 4:30pm. That is just about the time it takes to get from Takayama into the Alps. It will be almost dark by the time you arrive. And Shin-Hotaka Ropeway stops at 4:45pm. Buses to/from Kamikochi stop running at 5pm.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama & Shin-Hotaka Two-Day Open Ticket 2012/10/9 09:15
Thanks for your prompt answer.
Will it be possible to go to Shirakawa-go once we arrive in Takayama at 3pm ? We don't plan to stay overnight but when is the last bus from Shirakawa-go back to Takayama ? Will the places of interest in Shirakawa-go be open for visit or will it be too dark to walk around Shirakwa-go then ? Thanks.

reply to this thread