Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/14 02:46
Hi! My boyfriend and I are planning to visit Japan this coming mid-November and I came across this city guide and really are looking forward to being there! I was wondering though if one day in Arashiyama will be enough?

I'm planning to get there in the morning then take a Romantic Train then,
Hzugawa river tour then after the boat ride,
we'll go to Togetsukyo Bridge then,
Tenruyuji temple, Bamboo Gorves, Jojokkoji temple, Nisonin Temple and Gioji Temple

And I really want to visit Daikakuji Temple but seems like it's set pretty isolated from the other temples.

Any recommendations regarding transportation in Arashiyama? or the place is pretty small and not too hard to ger around on foot?

Thank you so much!!
by Mint B. (guest)  

... 2012/10/14 13:58
I was wondering though if one day in Arashiyama will be enough?

It is usually enough for most people, although you are trying to fit a lot in.

I'm planning to get there in the morning then take a Romantic Train then,
Hzugawa river tour then after the boat ride,

Try and avoid going on a weekend. Start as early in the morning as you can. Book your train ride in advance usually by at least a couple of days.

Any recommendations regarding transportation in Arashiyama?

You may wish to rent a bicycle after you get back from the boat ride.

or the place is pretty small and not too hard to ger around on foot?

You could also walk but obviously it will take you longer.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/14 16:50
Is it possible to book the train ticket in advance without having to go to Arashiyama? My husband and I will be staying at Osaka, and we also hope to make a day trip to Arashiyama.
by linda (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/14 17:00
Is it possible to book the train ticket in advance without having to go to Arashiyama?

It is explained here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/14 21:06
We went to Arashiyama a couple years ago as a day trip from Kyoto.

It takes between 15 minutes and half an hour depending on the speed of the train you take and where you're located in Kyoto.

There are some cute shopping streets and great nature walks.

We spent about 45 minutes walking around the shopping streets tasting local foods and looking at local goods... many locals come here for a quick vacation so there are lots of local treats for them to bring back as gifts for their friends... the make nice gifts for you and your friends too!

After that, we headed over to one of the temple/shrine areas, which you pretty much have to pass anyway to get to the bamboo forest walk... do not miss this, it is beautiful!

After that we crossed the bridge at the river, and went up the mountain to see the view and the monkeys... the hike up took about 1 hour round trip... was a little steep in parts but no big deal.

We then walked along the river, had some ice cream, and took lots of pictures, very picturesque there, even in winter!

It was late December when we were there, and I don't think the boats were running, so we took the train both ways.

You can definitely do it in a day, unless you tend to linger for long periods at temples and things. Going at a leisurely but not ridiculously slow pace, there's plenty of time for everything in a day.
by tequilatamm rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/15 13:40
Thank you so much, GC3 and tequilatamm for your insights!

I'm a little scared of the monkeys hahaha so, wasn't sure if I should hike up to see them. But if they were friendly then definitely we'll give it a try!

Thanks again! :D
by Mint B. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/15 13:45
I'm a little scared of the monkeys hahaha so, wasn't sure if I should hike up to see them. But if they were friendly then definitely we'll give it a try!

The monkeys aren't so much friendly as they are completely apathetic to your presence... unless you have food.

If they scare you you could always view them from the caged feeding house at the top of the mountain.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Arashiyama 2012/10/15 14:51
While visiting Kyoto during autumn we also set aside a day for Arashiyama and enjoyed a leisurely tour there but we didn't take the boat trip because it was said to be a long 2 hr ride. We took JR from Kyoto to Umahori, walked to Kameoka Torokko and ride the scenic Sagano Torokko Train back getting off at Arashiyama Torokko station and tour the area on foot before taking JR back to Kyoto from Saga-Arashiyama station.

We spent quite a while in Tenryu-ji sitting in Sogenchi Garden enjoying the beautiful koyo view. The bamboo grove at the back of Tenryu-ji is indeed big but not as pretty as expected since there were a lot of visitors there. Though smaller yet more serene is the one in Adashino Nenbutsu-ji. It will involve a longer walk (20-30 min) to Adashino Nenbutsu-ji but it is worth it and you will pass Jojakko-ji, Nison-in and Gio-ji along the way. Also en-route are some small cosy eating places and handicraft and souvenir shops.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-503.pdf

Note that by the side of Togetsukyo Bridge near the boat ride pier is a restaurant by the riverbank which is said to be very good for the popular Kyoto tofu. We would have eaten there if there wasn't such a long queue outside the place.

http://www.kotolog.jp/post/%E3%81%8A%E9%A3%9F%E4%BA%8B%E5%87%A6+%E4%BA...

by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread