Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 11:24
I know with JR Pass you can reserve seats for free but what about if NOT using the pass is it as easy to book a seat for any trip? How about the cost will it cost significantly more? Am only interested in reserving long trip from Tokyo to Kyoto (on 24/12/12), may be Kyoto to Osaka (on 27/12/12) and may be from Osaka to Kansai (on 29/12/12). Are booking necessary for the latter two trips due to starting of the New Year holidays?
by weekf  

Re: Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 12:37
I know with JR Pass you can reserve seats for free but what about if NOT using the pass is it as easy to book a seat for any trip?

Yes, it is the same procedure except that you have to pay for the seat reservation and train ticket.

How about the cost will it cost significantly more?

The seat reservation itself costs around 500 yen. The main difference in price will be the actual ticket cost, which you will have to pay for without a rail pass.

Are booking necessary for the latter two trips due to starting of the New Year holidays?

Seat reservations are not necessary on the trains between Kyoto and Tokyo. But they are recommended for comfort.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/16 12:39
may be Kyoto to Osaka (on 27/12/12)

In general you are best using normal commuter trains which have no reserved seating. They are only around 500 yen total fare one way.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html?aFROM=2157_2158

For Kansai Airport it depends which train you plan on using and normally which hotel you stay at will determine that.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 13:02
Uji you mean seat reservation not necessary from Tokyo to Kyoto or Kyoto to Osaka?
by weekf rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 13:07
Tokyo - Kyoto : no, you can buy non-reserved seat ticket to ride Shinkansen and take a seat on the non-reserved seat car.

Kyoto - Osaka : Most people don't make seat reservation as it's normal commuter train.

Osaka - KIX : http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 13:51
From Tokyo to Kyoto on 24 Dec will this be jammed packed? I though reserving will ensure our child to have a seat in case it will be busy during Christmas holiday period?
by weekf rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation when not using JR Pass 2012/10/16 21:12
From Tokyo to Kyoto on 24 Dec will this be jammed packed?

No, it won't be excessively busy. The opposite direction is busier, but not not in an extreme way either. Again, the New Year rush does not start until the 29th (or evening of 28th).

I though reserving will ensure our child to have a seat in case it will be busy during Christmas holiday period?

Japan does not have Christmas holidays. But December 22-24 will be a long weekend due to the Emperor's birthday. So, the afternoon of the 24th may be slightly busy with people returning home.

For comfort, I always recommend to make seat reservations. Whether it is busy or not.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread