Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

after a divorce can get married again? 2012/10/27 05:26
My sister was married to her japanese spouse there living together for almost 2 years, but sadly the relationship does not work out, her husband is always busy to his work and dont have time for her,my sister wasnt happy anymore that's why she wants a divorce, she is working right now as an entertainer and got a new japanese boyfriend, she want to get divorce with her husband but she's worried that if she do that she can automatically send her in philippines , her visa was valid for another 1 year... what she can do to make faster the process of her divorce and to get married again????
by jyurij  

Re: after a divorce can get married again? 2012/10/27 10:46
She might want to contact a lawyer for help, but the following is what I know. I am not a lawyer.

- Are they married according to the Japanese laws? If so, the marriage must be dissolved according to the Japanese law. If the husband agrees to the divorce, it would just be a simple step of reporting the divorce at the city hall, as was the marriage procedure.

There is a waiting period (only for women) for her to get re-married, which is six months after a divorce. So she can report the re-marriage to the city hall after six months from the divorce and then it will be accepted.

Next time when she needs to renew her resident status as spouse, she gets the help from the new husband then.

However, if the husband does not agree, she will need to go to family court; as she is the one with the new boyfriend while still being married, she would be at a disadvantage, if the husband wants to make it difficult for her.

- If they got married according to the Philippine law, I have no idea about the procedures.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: after a divorce can get married again? 2012/10/28 01:27
Why is there a waiting time for women? Men don't have them?
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: after a divorce can get married again? 2012/10/29 10:51
Why is there a waiting time for women? Men don't have them?

Because men can't get pregnant. Basically, it's an archaic law regarding the paternity of children that might be born during that time period. From time to time you'll hear about attempts to change it, but I don't think that any particular effort has gotten very far.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: after a divorce can get married again? 2012/10/29 11:02
I believe that she will have to do the divorce proceedings in Japan since Philippine Law doesn't have provisions for divorce.

The main issue is whether or not her current husband will cooperate in the divorce. If not things could get very difficult for your sister.

Btw, do they have children? That could actually work in her favor visa-wise.

she is working right now as an entertainer and got a new japanese boyfriend, she want to get divorce with her husband but she's worried that if she do that she can automatically send her in philippines, her visa was valid for another 1 year...

The immigration law changes means that she may not be able to stay the duration of her current visa, but she won't get immediately deported. At worst it seems that she will have at least 6 months that she can stay in Japan after her divorce.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/index.html

what she can do to make faster the process of her divorce and to get married again????

Do everything she can to get a cooperative divorce from her husband. If he agrees, the divorce proceedings will be simple and fast.

However, its a big problem that she currently has a boyfriend. If her current husband finds out it will probably get ugly, and she will likely be found at fault for the divorce. Its probably in both their best interest that he doesn't find out.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread