Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/7 01:41
Hi everyone,

Been looking at this message board for the past couple weeks and it's been quite helpful, so thanks!

I'm teaching English in Korea right now and I have December 25-Jan 1st off... the dates are not flexible and while I'd like to have more time I'll make do with what I have!

This will likely be the only time I get to visit Japan for quite sometime as this is my only big break until my contract is done and then it's back to States.

I'm aware that many things are closed during New Years time but I'm hoping I'll be ok with what I had planned. I'm a fast past traveller who likes to stay busy during my trips but I'm also seasoned enough to try and stay realistic with my goals (and also leave some flexibility!)

Any advice/critiques/suggestions would be appreciated!

Day 1: Fly from Seoul to Hiroshama (cheap flight available via Air Asia) arrive at 9PM.
Day 2: Peace Park/Museum/Miyajima for the day... take last train to Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto: Gold pavilion, Ryoan-ji, Kiyomizu-dera, Gion
Day 4: Fushimi Inari Taisha, Heian Jingu Shine , Imperial Palace
Day 5: Early train (what's best Nozomi or Shinkansen?) from Kyoto to Tokyo... I'm interested in the Edo Tokyo Museum, anything else close to it? Also checking out Roppongi Hills at night.
Day 6: Shibuya Crossing, Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, Yoyogi Park (this day is a Sunday)
Day 7: Tokyo metropolitan building, Ginza, Akihabara... and then go out for New Years Eve that night!
Day 8: My flight wouldn't leave until 6PM... so finish up anything in the morning I missed although I know things will be quiet... and head to the airport around 3PM...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks everybody!
by castillo823 (guest)  

... 2012/11/7 08:26
Day 1: Fly from Seoul to Hiroshama (cheap flight available via Air Asia) arrive at 9PM.

If you are still awake after you check in and assuming your hotel is somewhere near it the Peace Park and especially A-Dome might be visited at night time.

Day 2: Peace Park/Museum/Miyajima for the day... take last train to Kyoto

Seems fine just check tide times link down the bottom:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3450.html

Day 3: Kyoto: Gold pavilion, Ryoan-ji, Kiyomizu-dera, Gion

Seems fine.

Day 4: Fushimi Inari Taisha, Heian Jingu Shine , Imperial Palace

Imperial Palace is awkward due to bookings so maybe substitute somewhere else (Nijo Castle, Nanzenji, Ginkakuji, etc.)

Day 5: Early train (what's best Nozomi or Shinkansen?) from Kyoto to Tokyo

The Nozomi is a Shinkansen.

Tokaido Shinkansen:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

... I'm interested in the Edo Tokyo Museum, anything else close to it?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3070.html#jump_access

Asakusa is not too far, or Akihabara.

Day 6: Shibuya Crossing, Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, Yoyogi Park (this day is a Sunday)

Sounds good.

Day 8: My flight wouldn't leave until 6PM... so finish up anything in the morning I missed although I know things will be quiet... and head to the airport around 3PM...

Which airport?

A 7-day JR Pass probably won't quite pay off but might be an option I guess. If you want to save some money then consider overnight buses between major cities.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/7 18:46
All looks good and much like CG3 said, the 7 day pass probably won't pay off for what you want.

I wouldn't however recommend overnight buses. Might be a personal thing, but I find them horrible. I used to think that I could sleep anywhere, but now I know that's not the case. They are stuffy, cramped, not very space friendly (ok, so not such a big deal if you are shorter than me) and they drop you off the next morning feeling like you've just been hit by a truck and put through a tumble dry.

So I'd say spend the extra money on the trains so that you can be refreshed and ready to go.

You could also look into the "Puratto Kodama Economy Plan"
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
by Minkagreen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/7 22:27
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to end up taking the train... my trip is short and intense so I'd like to have as much energy as possible.

I've done some fine tuning to my itinerary... Do things seemed to be grouped appropriately?

Japan Itinerary

Day 1 (Tues Dec 25th):
- Seoul to Hiroshima
- Hiroshima Peace Park

Day 2 (Weds Dec 26th):
- A-Bomb Museum
- Miyajima
- Train to Kyoto

Day 3 (Thurs Dec 27th):
- Kinkaku (Golden Pavilion)
- Ryoan-ji Temple
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Gion District

Day 4 (Fri Dec 28th):
- Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
- Heian Jingu Shrine
- Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)

Day 5 (Sat Dec 29th):
- Nozomi to Tokyo
- Edo Tokyo Muesum
- Asakusa
- Roppongi Hills City View

Day 6 (Sun Dec 30th):
- Shibuya Crossing
- Meiji Shrine
- Harajuku
- Yoyogi Park
- Shibuya at night

Day 7 (Mon Dec 31st):
- Shinjuku
- Ginza
- Pokemon Center in Daimon (nerdy, but when I was 10 it was my life dream to go! haha)
- Akihabara
- New Years Eve!

Day 8 (Tues Jan 1st):
- Last minute visits/shopping
- Tokyo to Airport at 3PM
- Tokyo to Seoul at 6PM

Since I'll be going during New Years so there won't be any kabuki shows (womp womp) but is there anyway in Kyoto or Tokyo where any of you might recommend a tea ceremony? Any other cool cultural events to suggest?

Thanks for the help, really looking forward to my trip!
by castillo823 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/8 01:04
Day 5, how about Oshiage to look up Sky-Tree after Asakusa?
Day 7, please note that many shop will close earlier than usual.
At Daimon, count down event is in Zojo-ji temple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefenA4uKaY
Unfortunately, I think maybe tea ceremonies are held on January to celebrate New Year.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/8 04:20
Day 3 (Thurs Dec 27th):
- Kinkaku (Golden Pavilion)
- Ryoan-ji Temple
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Gion District

Day 4 (Fri Dec 28th):
- Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
- Heian Jingu Shrine
- Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)

Both of these seem ok, and both are a bit on the lighter side - I think you could squeeze a bit more in.

I'd suggest this;
Day 3: If you like shopping/browsing, add in shopping at Gion/Higashiyama on your way to Kiyomizu-dera. If you don't like shopping, then you could add another temple, like Kodai-ji or Kennin-ji. You could also add in any of the following at night; Gion, Hanami-koji, Shirakawa, or Pontocho.

Day 4: If you don't mind early starts, I'd see Fushimi early, then add in Tofuku-ji. Then train it to Demachiyanagi, bus/taxi/walk to Ginkaku-ji (about 2.2km), the walk the Philosopher's Path to Heian Jingu Shrine (about 2.8km). This will also take you past heaps of other temples etc, like Eikan-do and Nanzen-ji.

I'm not sure what effect the weather might have on these suggestions, though. Late December has a daily average max of 7degs. Damn that's cold! There are a couple of buses that go between Ginkaku-ji and Heian, if you don't want to walk all that way.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: 1st Japan Trip: 7 day Itinerary 2012/11/8 14:49
I'll probably do some shopping for my family in Gion so that should take up quite a bit of time but I'll definitely add the Philosopher's path, thanks for the suggestion, sounds great.

Thanks for the help everybody, looking forward to my trip!
by castillo823 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread