Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Year travel ideas 2012/11/8 10:39

Hello, I am looking for ideas for New Year period (26/12 - 07/01) traveling from Yokohama. My first idea was Ogasawara islands, but OgasawaraKauin phone is unreachable today, so I think I will have to give up. So any Ideas are welcomed (budget up to 200Kyen for two of us). Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Kamakura, Hakone, Tokyo are not an option, we have been there couple of times. Nature scenery are more preferable then temples and castles I will be happy to receive an advice on any English speaking travel agency.
Thank you in advance.
by aivanov3  

Re: New Year travel ideas 2012/11/8 15:41
I have a few ideas, but it depends on your circumstance... for example, are you traveling by train? Or could you go by car? Are you looking for a quiet New Years or a bustling, hectic sort of place to spend that long of time? Do you want to stay in only one place the whole time, or travel around?

The New Years period can be a diffucult period to travel for a few reasons. First off, it is traditionally a time to visit family, so many people travel to their hometowns at this time. As a result, many hotels and ryokan get booked early, which can make it hard to find a room. Second, since New Years and the following few days are holidays, many banks, supermarkets, and even ryokan and sightseeing places are closed for the holidays. So it can be hard to find places to stay and things to do for that reason as well. If you plan ahead of time, you can avoid this, but it is already November, so you might end up comprimising a lot.

If at all possible, I would recommend traveling by car. There are a lot of nice sights to visit around Kanto and further out, and it provides a lot of flexibility. You could visit some different onsen, for example, and enjoy the cold weather in comfort. Do you ski or snowboard? That is another option around New Years; I have gone snowboarding on January 2nd with no problems before. Even if skiing or snowboarding is not your thing, many resorts also offer activities like snowshoeing or rides on the snowmobiles, etc.

Anyway, just a few various ideas, hope you find some you might like!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: New Year travel ideas 2012/11/8 22:52
Dear scarreddragon, thank you for you encouraging answer.
Actualy car is an option- I have one. And I drive with pleasure in Japan. Can you recommend any places to visit by car?

Winter actives are not number one in my chart.

PS I always a little late with my planning, but during Golden Week & Obon holidays I was lucky enough to mange it. Luks like new year is my time to fail.
by aivanov3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread