Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido 14 day JR pass 2012/11/8 15:17
Hi,
I have been to Japan at least 3 times and this trip is mainly to see Hokkaido. I will be staying at Toyoko Inn for my trip.
Could you please comment on my itinerary. Pressed for time, I leave in less than a weeks and I have no hotel reservations yet.
I can't find my Toyoko Card (does it expire? 2009)

Day 1 JR Pass active today. Travelling from Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko to Shin Aomori-Lunch/Dinner. 3 hours Hayabusa Train.
10:39pm Overnight Hamanasu train to Sapporo (nobi-nobi).

Day 2 Arrive in Sapporo 6:07am.

Day 3 Day trip to Otaru

Day 4 Overnight in Noribetsu

Day 5 Hakodate
Day 6 Hakodate
Day 7 Hakodate
Overnight Train Akebono from Aomori to Ueno (nobi-nobi).

Day 8 Kusatsu overnight

Day 9 Overnight train Ueno to Takamatsu to eat sanuki udon.

Day 10 Matusyama??
Don't have plans here yet...
Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14 Back to Tokyo for a few more days before heading home.

I would like to revisit Ibusuki again and Kagoshima for Tsubame, but not sure if my schedule allows. I have been there before. After day 7, I am doing repeat cities(been there before...).

by Heart (guest)  

... 2012/11/8 16:13
Pressed for time, I leave in less than a weeks and I have no hotel reservations yet.

What date is Day 1?

Day 1 JR Pass active today. Travelling from Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko to Shin Aomori-Lunch/Dinner. 3 hours Hayabusa Train.
10:39pm Overnight Hamanasu train to Sapporo (nobi-nobi).

I'd have a backup plan in case the Hamanasu is booked out.

Day 5 Hakodate
Day 6 Hakodate
Day 7 Hakodate

Seems like a long time in Hakodate, as much as I like Hakodate. What are you planning to do there? I enjoyed the fresh squid and crab at the morning markets. Also the cheesecakes are pretty tasty too, check the shop beside the lobby for Hotel Loisir.

The tourist office at Hakodate is very helpful and they have some useful maps including a good restaurant map.

Overnight Train Akebono from Aomori to Ueno (nobi-nobi).

What date? Again, have a back up and obviously try and book this as soon as you arrive in Japan.

Day 9 Overnight train Ueno to Takamatsu to eat sanuki udon.

What date? I'd definitely have a back up plan for the Sunrise Seto/Izumo.

Day 10 Matusyama??

Sounds fine, the castle is pretty interesting with some nice views and good displays, plus the ride up and down is pretty cool.

Don't have plans here yet...
Day 11-13

You could see more of Shikoku? Depending on dates Shodoshima/Kankakei Gorge might be nice.

I would like to revisit Ibusuki again and Kagoshima for Tsubame, but not sure if my schedule allows.

You could take the ferry from Yawatahama to Beppu
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1107.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido 14 day JR pass 2012/11/9 11:40
Thanks for the reply GC3.

Day 1 is Nov 16 Saturday.

In Hakodate, I will mostly relax, onsen, eat good food, shop. Is it better to spend more time in Sapporo than Hakodate?

I will book the overnight train at the airport asap when we arrive. I hope the Airport agents will be receptive. I arrive at 5.30pm Nov 15. 1 hour for customs. i hope they close late. 9.15pm, I think.

What is the best or fastest way to get from Sapporo to Kanazawa by train. Twilight is not appealing to me bec. I have to pay extra fees. Is it worth it?

I know it is a great idea to book my Toyoko Inn Hotel but with the uncertainty of my travel dates, I am cringing at the fact I have to book then cancel and rebook. Tedious process. Is it high season right now?

Do you know if there is a good noodle shop at the airport to eat before I head to my hotel at Toyoko Inn Kuko Narita? I think there is no food near there.

by Heart (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/9 12:14
Day 1 is Nov 16 Saturday.

Note that 23rd is a public holiday so night of the 22nd may be busy I guess, and all of that 23-25th long weekend may as well.

There are currently seats available in non-smoking on the Hamanasu for the 16th.

In Hakodate, I will mostly relax, onsen, eat good food, shop. Is it better to spend more time in Sapporo than Hakodate?

Maybe evenly split will be better. Depends on your interests I guess.

I will book the overnight train at the airport asap when we arrive. I hope the Airport agents will be receptive.

Either that or wait there until the queue vanishes after you have exchanged, or find another JR Station and do it there.

I arrive at 5.30pm Nov 15. 1 hour for customs. i hope they close late. 9.15pm, I think.

9:45pm

What is the best or fastest way to get from Sapporo to Kanazawa by train. Twilight is not appealing to me bec. I have to pay extra fees. Is it worth it?

There is no efficient way there by trains. I'd just include Kanazawa in your branch from Kyoto/Matsuyama.

Is it high season right now?

Due to autumn colours in Kyoto it will be and due to the long weekend public holiday 23-25th will be.

Do you know if there is a good noodle shop at the airport to eat before I head to my hotel at Toyoko Inn Kuko Narita? I think there is no food near there.

I've never eaten there as I usually just go straight to Tokyo.

Noodle shop
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops/rest_shop/rest/floor_list/detail...

Search for others
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops/rest_shop/

... 2012/11/9 12:31
I am not 100% sure but the Akebono looks booked out to me on the 22nd. Maybe users Dave or Omotenashi can assist.

Re: Hokkaido 14 day JR pass 2012/11/9 13:53
As for night train from Amomori to Sapporo, pls book early so that you could have sleeping berth.No add'l charges if you are have JR pass.
Jody
by Jody (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido 14 day JR pass 2012/11/10 13:02
Thank you all for your kind answers!
by Heart (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread