Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko 2012/11/9 06:38
Hello everyone. I'll be in Japan for my fourth time this coming April. My previous 3 trips were spent primarily in Tokyo with side day trips to Yokohama and Takaosan. This year I'll be spending 13 full days 14 nights in Japan. My itinerary is as follows.

Day 1 - Arrive at Narita late in the evening. Spend night in Tokyo.
Day 2 - Travel to Osaka where I'll be staying for 7 nights. (Hotels already booked) Spend day in Osaka.
Day 3-8 - Two day trips to Kyoto. A day trip to Nara, Kobe, Hiroshima/Miyajima, and at least one full day in Osaka.
Day 9 - Travel back to Tokyo. Spend rest of day in Tokyo.
Day 10-14 - Day trips to Yokohama/Kamakura and Nikko. Three days in Tokyo.
Day 15 - Early flight out of Narita.

I'll have a 14 day JR Pass which I know will pay off with this itinerary. The only thing I'm worried about is the day trip to Nikko. I just wonder if it's worth the trip since it seems almost everything will be under renovation in Nikko itself. I'm also interested in seeing Lake Chuzenjiko but I'm not sure if it's worth traveling for almost 3 hours be train and bus one way just to see the lake and waterfalls. Is there some place else worth seeing. I thought about Sendai but it seems that it's not a popular location with those on this site. Any suggestions would be helpful. I like nature but I'm not sure that 3 hours one-way is worth seeing just a little bit. Thanks.
by dhscsa  

... 2012/11/9 08:28
I'll have a 14 day JR Pass which I know will pay off with this itinerary.

If you return from Osaka to Tokyo on the evening of the 7th day then a 7-day JR Pass, combined with individual tickets/local passes will be more economical.

The only thing I'm worried about is the day trip to Nikko. I just wonder if it's worth the trip since it seems almost everything will be under renovation in Nikko itself.

Some of it may be completed by the time you get there. I'd check back closer to the date. To be honest I don't think it will impact too much and especially if you plan to see the lake then I would still go.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko 2012/11/9 09:21
Thanks for your reply. I already have my hotels booked and I arrive in Osaka the day after I arrive and spend 7 nights so I'd leave on the 9th day so I won't be returning on the evening of the 7th day. I wouldn't change how many nights I'm staying even if I could because I think it will be difficult to see and do all that I want in those 7 days as it is. If I had a 7 day pass and activated set it to activate on the day after I arrive it would get me to Osaka and all my day trips from Osaka, but then would expire the day before I head back to Tokyo. I'd have to pay the fare for the Shinkansen back to Tokyo as well as the Shinkansen to Nikko and back as well as return to Narita, not to mention to and from Yokohama/Kamakura and the Yamanote Line in Tokyo would cost more than the difference between the 7 day and 14 day pass. If I'm mistaken please let me know. I personally think it's much quicker to just use a Suica then it would be to show my pass and possibly passport every time I ride a train but I think it would be cheaper. If you can show me it's more economic with only the 7 day pass then please explain how and I will just go with the 7 day pass. Thanks for your continued help CG3 I really do appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post. :)
by dhscsa rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/9 10:40
Thanks for your reply. I already have my hotels booked and I arrive in Osaka the day after I arrive and spend 7 nights so I'd leave on the 9th day so I won't be returning on the evening of the 7th day.

I meant evening of the 7th day of the 7-day JR Pass. So, leave early morning of Day 2 (1st day of JR Pass), return back to Tokyo very late on Day 8 (7th day of JR Pass). This may reduce one day in the Osaka area (and one night in your Osaka Hotel).

If you don't wish to do that then that's fine too of course, I'm just suggesting it as a cheaper option.

I'd have to pay the fare for the Shinkansen back to Tokyo

You could also fly back if you wish.

as well as the Shinkansen to Nikko

As mentioned the Tobu Nikko passes are much cheaper than the Shinkansen.

and back as well as return to Narita,

Suica + NEX makes this reasonable (3500 yen)

not to mention to and from Yokohama/Kamakura

Relatively cheap.

would cost more than the difference between the 7 day and 14 day pass.

I think if you don't wish to change your stay in Osaka then the 14-day JR Pass will probably pay off.

I personally think it's much quicker to just use a Suica then it would be to show my pass and possibly passport every time I ride a train but I think it would be cheaper.

It depends how busy the staff are but once you get used to it the JR Pass is pretty quick.

If you can show me it's more economic with only the 7 day pass then please explain how and I will just go with the 7 day pass.

It would require you missing Day 9 in Osaka, but I guess that depends when you planned on leaving on that day. You do say "Travel back to Tokyo. Spend rest of day in Tokyo." which lead me to believe that you would leave in the morning and not see much in Osaka on Day 9. Hence why heading back on the last Hikari Shinkansen on Day 8 may suit you just as well and not really reduce your time in Osaka much at all.

Thanks for your continued help CG3 I really do appreciate it.

No worries! By the sounds of it the 14-day JR Pass will work best for you, unless you wish to change Day 8/9.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread