Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/10 00:39
Hi! I'll be in Japan from the 23rd of Nov until 7th Dec 2012. This will be my second time in Japan. The first one was in 2008 and I stayed at a friend's place in Yokohama. She traveled with me during the weekends. My friend has moved to the US, so I will be travelling solo this time and staying in hostels and minshukus.

Need your input with my 15-days itinerary. Do you think I should buy a 14-day JR Pass? I already have hostel reservations but I guess I can re-arrange my trip if it will save me money in terms of transpo. And then maybe can afford an overnight stay in Koyasan.

Day 01 - Nov. 23 - Friday (Tokyo)
7 PM Arrive at Narita. Travel to hostel in Asakusa by Keisei Narita Express train.

Day 02 - Nov. 24 - Saturday (Tokyo)
AM - Sensoji, Skytree
PM - Sumida River Cruise onboard Himiko (3:20PM )from Asakusa to Odaiba. Fuji TV, Aqua City, Rainbow Bridge for night view. Then to Shimbashi via Yurikamome, dinner in one of the Robatayakis. Proceed to Zozoji for Tokyo Tower night view. Back to hostel in Asakusa.

Day 03 - Nov. 25 - Sunday (Tokyo)
Harajuku, Meiji Shrine, Omotesando and Shibuya. TMG in Shinjuku for Tokyo Tower night view (again!) . Akihabara at night.

Day 04 - Nov. 26 - Monday (Tokyo/Kawaguchiko)
Tsukiji Fish Market for the auction. Then proceed to Kawaguchiko. Stay overnight.

Day 05 - Nov. 27 - Tuesday (Kawaguchiko/Tokyo)
12PM Depart Kawaguchiko, 3:30PM arrive in Shin-Yokohama to visit Ramen Museum. Then to Chinatown and night view of Minato Mirai from Osenbashi Pier. Back to Asakusa hostel.

Day 06 - Nov. 28 - Wednesday (Takayama)
07:33 AM depart Tokyo (by Shinkansen Hikari & Wide View Hida), 12:13 PM arrive at Takayama. Stay overnight.

Day 07 - Nov. 29 - Thursday (Shirakawago)
Morning market before leaving for Shirakawago. By 11:50 AM depart Takayama (by bus), 12:50 PM arrive at Shirakawa-go. Stay overnight.

Day 08 - Nov. 30 - Friday (Kanazawa)
10:20 AM depart Shirakawa-go for Kanazawa (by bus), 11:35 AM arrive at Kanazawa. Explore Higashi Chahya and Kenrokoen then depart Kanazawa at 4:13 PM for Kyoto (by JR Ltd Thunderbird) , 6:39 PM arrive at Kyoto. Check in Jam Hostel Kyoto Gion. Explore Gion District.

Day 09 - Dec. 01 - Saturday (Kyoto)
Arashiyama and Sagano

Day 10 - Dec. 02 - Sunday (Kyoto)
Half day trip to Nara (Deer Park and Todaiji) in the morning. Back to Kyoto in the afternoon, passing by Fushimi Inari Shrine. Hike up to Yotsutsuji intersection, then head down in time for dusk and wait around for the night lights. Stop by Kyoto Tower for a night photo. Then on to Philosopher's Path, hopefully it's illuminated at night..

Day 11 - Dec. 03 - Monday (Kyoto)
Kinkakuji, Higashiyama, Kiyomizudera

Day 12 - Dec. 04 - Tuesday (Kinosaki)
Take 7:30AM train from Kyoto station, arrive in Kinosakionsen at 10:54AM. Explore public baths. Stay overnight.

Day 13 - Dec. 05 - Wednesday (Hiroshima/Miyajima)
Take 7:18AM Hamakaze train. Arrive at Hiroshimo around 10:50AM. Explore Hiroshima Memorial Park. Leave for Miyajima around 2PM. Overnight in the island.

Day 14 - Dec. 06 - Thursday (Miyajima/Osaka)
Leave Miyajima around 11AM. Arrive at Osaka-Namba around 2PM. Explore Osaka Castle then Dotonburi at night. I will be staying in Namba.

Day 15 - Dec. 07 - Friday (Osaka)
Check-out from hostel. Daytrip to Koyasan. Where do you suggest I leave my luggage so I can travel directly from Koyasan to Kansai Airport without going back to Namba? My flight leaves at 11:30PM.

I've already been to Nikko, Kamakura and Hakone in case you're wondering.

Many thanks in advance!
by chilling (guest)  

Re: 15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/10 15:39
I think your plans are good, with or without Autumn leaves. However, I don't think a 14 days pass is economically worth it for your itinerary, if you can move forward the trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima and squeeze into a 7-day JR Pass schedule for long distance travels out of Tokyo and Kyoto. As mentioned everywhere, JR Pass does not pay off if you stay inside a city area (Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka/Nara) and don't do long distance travels on Ltd Express trains.

The rational way of visiting Koyasan from Osaka then straight to KIX is to leave your luggage at Nankai Namba station, which has coin lockers. The Nankai Koya and Main lines depart at Tengachaya but there shouldn't be any coin-locker there to keep large size luggage. It is straightforward time-wise to take a Ltd Exp or Exp to Namba then again Ltd Exp to Kansai Airport.

[*] JR Pass is not valid on Nankai Railways Lines, as you might know.

by 7-D JRPass and squeeze Hiroshima into it (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/10 16:01
Day 01 - Nov. 23 - Friday (Tokyo)
7 PM Arrive at Narita. Travel to hostel in Asakusa by Keisei Skyliner train. [*JR Pass not valid for Keisei railway trains; get a Keisei Skyliner coupled with 2 days Tokyo Metro Card, valid on Tokyo Metro company trains (not for JR or Toei Subway)]

Day 02 - Nov. 24 - Saturday (Tokyo)
AM - Sensoji, Skytree
PM - Sumida River Cruise onboard Himiko (3:20PM )from Asakusa to Odaiba. Fuji TV, Aqua City, Rainbow Bridge for night view. Then to Shimbashi via Yurikamome, dinner in one of the Robatayakis. Proceed to Zozoji for Tokyo Tower night view. Back to hostel in Asakusa.

Day 03 - Nov. 25 - Sunday (Tokyo)
Harajuku, Meiji Shrine, Omotesando and Shibuya. TMG in Shinjuku for Tokyo Tower night view (again!) . Akihabara at night. Also perhaps Ginza?

Tsukiji Fish Market for the auction. Then proceed to Kawaguchiko. Stay overnight.

Day 05 - Nov. 27 - Tuesday (Kawaguchiko/Tokyo) [JRPD1] [*If you get a 7-day JR Pass, activate on this day from Otsuki (Fujikyu trains payable). JRPD1]
12:00 Depart Kawaguchiko, 15:30 arrive in Shin-Yokohama to visit Ramen Museum. Then to Chinatown and night view of Minato Mirai from Osenbashi Pier. Back to Asakusa hostel.
[*Take a Fujikyu train to Otsuki then JR Ltd Exp or Rapid from Otsuki to Shinjuku then Tokyo Station. From Tokyo Station, the Shinkansen to Shin-Yokohama]

Day 06 - Nov. 28 - Wednesday (Takayama) [JRPD2]
07:33 AM depart Tokyo (by Shinkansen Hikari & Wide View Hida), 12:13 arrive at Takayama. Stay overnight.

Day 07 - Nov. 29 - Thursday (Shirakawago) [JRPD3: This day you won't be using JR Pass. A bit of a waste, but can't help it]
Morning market before leaving for Shirakawago. By 11:50 depart Takayama (by bus), 12:50 arrive at Shirakawa-go. Stay overnight.

Day 08 - Nov. 30 - Friday (Kanazawa) [JRPD4]
10:20 depart Shirakawa-go for Kanazawa (by bus), 11:35 arrive at Kanazawa. Explore Higashi Chahya and Kenrokoen then depart Kanazawa at 16:13 for Kyoto (by JR Ltd Thunderbird) , 18:39 arrive at Kyoto.
[*From Tokyo, recommend going straight to Hiroshima first to squeeze it into 7-days pass schedule].

Day 13 - Dec. 01 - Saturday (Hiroshima/Miyajima) [JRPD5]
Explore Hiroshima Memorial Park. Leave for Miyajima around 2PM. Overnight in the island.

Day 14 - Dec. 02 - Sunday (Miyajima/Osaka) [JRPD6]
Leave Miyajima around 11AM. Proceed to Kinosaki via Shin-Osaka. In Kinosaki, explore public baths. Stay overnight.

Day 15 - Dec. 03 - Monday (Kinosaki-Kyoto) [JRPD7: JR Pass expires. No big issue, as other travels will be short distance]
Arashiyama and Sagano, Pontocho (might do Nijo Castle before Arashiyama)

Day 16 - Dec. 04 - Tuesday
Kinkakuji, Nijo Castle, Kiyomizudera, Gion

Day 17 - Dec. 05 - Wednesday
A day trip to Nara (Deer Park and Todaiji). Back to Kyoto late in the afternoon. Visit Fushimi Inari Shrine and Tofukuji in the late evening.

Day 18 - Dec. 06 - Thursday
Northern Higashiyama Philospher's Path (Nanzenji-Enkando-Ginkakuji etc). Arrive at Osaka-Namba around PM. Explore Osaka Castle then Dotonburi at night. I will be staying in Namba.

Day 19 - Dec. 07 Friday (Osaka)
Check-out from hostel. Daytrip to Koyasan. Leave luggage at Nankai Namba station.
When is your flight? Do a reality check on Hyperdia timetable sight. Koyasan is a bit far away from Osaka, and KIX too.
by 7-days JR Pass revised schedule for you (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/10 16:02
Hi! I'll be in Japan from the 23rd of Nov until 7th Dec 2012. This will be my second time in Japan.

Overall it looks really nice to me. I'd keep a close eye on the koyo reports on Japan guide and you may wish to do some tweaking to your Kyoto section as you get closer. I think you will be at the tail end of it in Kyoto but hopefully there will be some nice spots around.

Do you think I should buy a 14-day JR Pass?

It is one option. If you are happy to make some transport changes (no hotel changes) then I think you can get away a bit cheaper.

Basically, take the bus from Tokyo to Takayama which is half the price of the trains. Then pay for the train from Kanazawa to Kyoto. Buy a JR West Kansai Wide Area Pass (8000 yen) to cover Dec 4 through Dec 7.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

The Pass will cover you to Kinosaki and then from Kinosaki to Okayama, you will have to pay extra for the Shinkansen from Okayama to Hiroshima, and also from Hiroshima back to Okayama. Then it covers you from Okayama all the way back to Osaka and will cover you for the Haruka train from Tennoji back to Kansai Airport if you wish too.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense!

I don't have time to add it up now (might later) but feel free to do the sums and I'm pretty sure you will save a fair amount.

And then maybe can afford an overnight stay in Koyasan.

Hopefully this will save you enough so you can!

Tsukiji Fish Market for the auction.

I'd try and get there before 4am to queue, you may wish to take a taxi of course (3000-4000 yen) as there is no public transport that early.

Then proceed to Kawaguchiko. Stay overnight.

You may be able to take the bus (from Tokyo or Shinjuku)

Day 06 - Nov. 28 - Wednesday (Takayama)
07:33 AM depart Tokyo (by Shinkansen Hikari & Wide View Hida), 12:13 PM arrive at Takayama. Stay overnight.

As above, consider the bus to Takayama
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5908.html

Day 08 - Nov. 30 - Friday (Kanazawa)
10:20 AM depart Shirakawa-go for Kanazawa (by bus), 11:35 AM arrive at Kanazawa.

Seems fine although quite quick in Kanazawa.

Day 09 - Dec. 01 - Saturday (Kyoto)
Arashiyama and Sagano

I'd switch this with Dec 3. I'd also do Kinkakuji in the morning then Arashiyama/Sagano after that.

On this day I'd do Higashiyama and Kiyomizudera (probably at night) then Gion/Pontocho. Kiyomizudera illumination finishes on Dec 2. You could also see Kodaiji either during the day or at night.

Day 10 - Dec. 02 - Sunday (Kyoto)
Then on to Philosopher's Path, hopefully it's illuminated at night..

I'd do a night illumination at Eikando after the walk.

Day 11 - Dec. 03 - Monday (Kyoto)
Kinkakuji, Higashiyama, Kiyomizudera

As above, this should be Kinkakuji/Arashiyama/Sagano now.

Day 12 - Dec. 04 - Tuesday (Kinosaki)
Take 7:30AM train from Kyoto station, arrive in Kinosakionsen at 10:54AM. Explore public baths. Stay overnight.

Day 1 of JR West Kansai Wide Area Pass. Note you can buy it at Kyoto Station in the preceding days and specify the activation date as Dec 4, you should do this so you can take the early train don't try and buy it on Dec 4.

Day 13 - Dec. 05 - Wednesday (Hiroshima/Miyajima)
Take 7:18AM Hamakaze train. Arrive at Hiroshimo around 10:50AM. Explore Hiroshima Memorial Park. Leave for Miyajima around 2PM. Overnight in the island.

Seems fine but paying extra from Okayama to Hiroshima. You've got 40 mins at Himeji to sort the extra or do it at Kinosaki.

Day 14 - Dec. 06 - Thursday (Miyajima/Osaka)
Leave Miyajima around 11AM. Arrive at Osaka-Namba around 2PM. Explore Osaka Castle then Dotonburi at night. I will be staying in Namba.

I'd probably try and get to Koyasan on this night for an overnight stay.

Day 15 - Dec. 07 - Friday (Osaka)
Check-out from hostel. Daytrip to Koyasan. Where do you suggest I leave my luggage so I can travel directly from Koyasan to Kansai Airport without going back to Namba? My flight leaves at 11:30PM.

If you have Kansai Wide Area Pass then a JR Station makes sense, maybe Shin-Imamiya or Namba would be ok too I guess.

I am pretty sure the Kansai Wide will be the cheapest but if you don't want the little bit of extra hassle with extra tickets past Okayama you could also get a 7-day JR Pass and use it from Nov 30 as you leave Kanazawa. This assumes you use the bus to get to Takayama which makes sense.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/10 16:04
If your flight is 23:30, then you'd have enough time for Koyasan day-trip (or Yoshino in Nara Prefecture, which is more known locally for Autumn leaves).

Just buy tickets each time for your travels in Tokyo or around the Kansai Region (Kyoto, Nara, Osaka), or get a SUICA prepaid card.
by 7-days JR Pass revised schedule for you (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/10 23:44
Thank you guys for taking time to go thru my itinerary!

A few more questions:

*Keisei Skyliner + 2 days Tokyo Metro Card vs. Keisei Narita Sky Access Express + SUICA

Will my Day 2 and 3 itinerary be covered by the Keisei Skyliner + 2 days Tokyo Metro Card? It will cost me JPY 2,980 but as I understand Tokyo Metro Card is only valid in Subway trains while SUICA is valid for JR and other trains. I have a SUICA card from my first trip back in 2008 which should still be valid. Should I just buy a Keisei Narita Sky Access Express to Asakusabashi (JPY 1,240) then load my SUICA card?
Ifm looking at Route 3 or 4 in this Hyperdia result:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPOR...)

*Moving Kyoto 3 days earlier

If I move Kyoto to 3 days earlier, will there be much difference in terms of Autumn colors? I'm a bit hesitant to change my schedule, since I gather from other posts that it will be difficult to find a central accommodation at this time.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the 7-days JR Pass (suggested by another guest) versus JR Kansai Wide Area Pass (as suggested by GC3). I will definitely be back with some more questions.

Thanks again guys!
by chilling (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 15-days itinerary for Koyo 2012 2012/11/11 02:02
GC3,

How does this work?

The Pass will cover you to Kinosaki and then from Kinosaki to Okayama, you will have to pay extra for the Shinkansen from Okayama to Hiroshima, and also from Hiroshima back to Okayama.

I'm planning to take the following route:
07:18 Kinosaki to 09:10 Himeji by LTD. EXP HAMAKAZE 2.
09:50 Himeji to 10:50 Hiroshima by SHINKANSEN SAKURA 549

Will the calculation of the price difference be based in Okayama or Himeji? Any idea of the amount?

by chilling (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/11 03:01
I have a SUICA card from my first trip back in 2008 which should still be valid

It will and will be better than the metro pass I think.

If I move Kyoto to 3 days earlier, will there be much difference in terms of Autumn colors?

I think there will be a difference but I probaly wouldn't change.

Dec 1 2010
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/101201.html
Nov 25 2010
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/101125.html

I'm a bit hesitant to change my schedule, since I gather from other posts that it will be difficult to find a central accommodation at this time.

Correct.

Will the calculation of the price difference be based in Okayama or Himeji? Any idea of the amount?

You can see it pretty well on the JR West Kansai Wide Area Pass page
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

The difference will be based from Okayama.

You can use Hyperdia to look up fares
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Okayama - Hiroshima on Sakura 549 non-reserved is 5350 yen.

If you wanted to save more money you could take non-shinkansen from Okayama along the JR Sanyo line for 2520 yen (one way). However, you wouldn't arrive at Hiroshima until 13:38.

You could also consider paying for the Shinkansen to Hiroshima so you get there quicker (arrive at your original time) and just paying for the Non-Shinkansen from Miyajimuguchi all the way to Okayama (technically to Kurashiki) on the way back to Osaka then switching to the Shinkansen at Okayama. This gets you back to Shin-Osaka at 15:35 if you leave Miyajimaguchi at 11:12, cost 2940 yen.

I realise this looks complex but money is money!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread