Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel to Tokyo & Karuizawa 2012/11/16 17:47
Hello there, I intend to visit Tokyo & Karuizawa in the next 2 weeks. I read about Suica & N'EX & also the JR Kanto Area Pass, but I am still unsure which one is the best for me. May I ask for your kind opinion please?

My itinerarary is like this:

Arrive & Stay in Tokyo for 2 days,
Stay in Karuizawa for 4 days,
Stay in Tokyo for 2 days then depart

Thanks a lot in advance!
by Hayden Green (guest)  

... 2012/11/16 18:35
Assuming you arrive at Narita and your hotel is easily accessed via JR/NEX then buy Suica + NEX return package to get you into and around Tokyo and back to Narita at the end.

The JR Kanto Area Pass won't really work for you as it is only valid on three calendar days.

Consequently, I'd either pay for the Shinkansen or if you want to save some money just take the bus from Ikebukuro to Karuizawa and back.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6030.html#jump_access

You could of course take the Shinkansen one way and the bus the other if you want to experience the Shinkansen.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Tokyo & Karuizawa 2012/11/16 21:41
Hi GCS,

Thank you very much indeed for the kind advice and suggestions.

As my stay in Karuizawa is 4 days so I won't be able to benefit from the 3-day ticket. May I know whether it is still worth getting a JR Kanto ticket and use the balance to (8,000 - 5,750 = 2,250) for local bus / train rides? Do you think I will be able to fully utilize it?

Many thanks,
Hayden
by Hayden Green (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/17 02:45
May I know whether it is still worth getting a JR Kanto ticket and use the balance to (8,000 - 5,750 = 2,250) for local bus / train rides?

If you wish to use the Shinkansen then yes if you activate the JR Kanto Pass on the day you leave Karuizawa so that it is still active to get you back to Narita then this will be economical. That way you can just buy the Suica + NEX package one way when you arrive.

Note that you will need to specify the activation date when you buy the JR Kanto Pass (at Narita) as you cannot buy/activate it in Karuizawa.

... 2012/11/17 04:28
Actually, just thinking about it again, you can probably use one JR Kanto Pass to get from Narita to Tokyo and then on to Karuizawa. And then another JR Kanto Pass to get from Karuizawa back to Tokyo and on to Narita.

I'm not 100% sure of the rules on buying multiples but I'm pretty sure this will be fine. If you can't buy them both at Narita maybe you can buy one there and then the other at Shinjuku.

There is just this wording on the JR East Page:-
"Multiple passes may not be purchased for the same person for use on the same day. "
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/kantoareapass/index.html

I think you will be fine with the above rule as you aren't using it on the "same day".

Maybe Uji/Dave/Omotenashi can clarify.

Re: Travel to Tokyo & Karuizawa 2012/11/19 11:04
Hi GC3-san,

Thanks you so much for your kind suggestions!

If I can use the JR Kanto pass (3-day validity period) from Narita to Karuizawa, that will be great. However, I cannot use it for my return trip (Karuizwa - Tokyo - Narita) as it's over 3 days. I probably have to buy single-trip return ticket from Karuizawa to Tokyo, then another ticket from Tokyo to Narita.

Many thanks,
Hayden
by Hayden Green (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread