Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 09:06
My fiance and I are wishing to be legally married in Japan. I'm an Australian Citizen, he is a German national with Australian permanent residency status. I've read the ''two americans marrying in Japan'' story by Josh, and would like to reopen the disussion given it is now three years on, and we're not american. We are having a Buddhist wedding (not recognised legally) in Kyoto, planned for 27th Feb, 2013 organised through a wedding planner, but our attempts to seek their help in organising the legal bits and pieces have come up empty with their best advice to read Josh's thread (above). I've read the Australian embassy in Tokyo website (with the red disclaimer at the top that reads ''We do not marry Australian citizens overseas or accept divorce applications. We are not qualified to advise you on marriage or divorce matters. Contact the relevant authorities in Australia or Japan for advice.''

So, I dutifully called the Japanese embassy in Brisbane and they promptly told me to call the australian embassy in tokyo (see the circular problem here?).

I can gather from the information gleaned through threads and other bits and pieces that this is going to be hard (yes, also thinking about the registry in australia version before we go - would be better if we didn't need witnesses here as we really do want it to be a quiet affair), but if it were a reasonably painless matter in Japan without having to travel from pillar to post between cities (ie, being able to simply visit the ward office in Kyoto where we are staying for the official stamping) then that would be preferable to us.

So, what I can glean is that we need some paperwork:
Certificate of No Impediment
Divorce Decree's or rikon shomeisho (as we've both been previously married) which must be applied for through
When I look at the link for the certificate of no impediment, again the aus embassy states that the form needs to be applied for in japan, and can be done for australian citizens and permanent residents (that's good, ticks both our categories), but it takes time, we're only planning to be in Japan for a fortnight.

Anyone actually done this before? Happy if the situation is simply two Aussies rather than the more complicated option I've presented.

Thanks
by Raw (guest)  

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 13:23
- Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in getting legally married in Japan, if you don't live here (or some very close ties with Japan). You will later have the hassle of having this document called "certificate of acceptance of report of marriage" acknowledged as marriage certificate back in your country (Japanese authorities do not issue "marriage certificate" per se). Also check with Australian authorities if they recognize Japanese marriages as valid. As the marriage (and the divorce) procedures are so simple, some countries seem to refrain from saying anything about whether they really consider Japanese marriages as valid.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+90333

This couple in the above thread probably "lived" in Japan when they met and got married, so that makes sense.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+84873

This one is written about a British couple.

- Since "Two americans marrying in Japan," one thing changed: the Alien Registration System to New Resident System, for non-Japanese people visiting/living in Japan. Either Alien Registration Cards (or passports) were required for Josh's marriage, but from the way it sounded it was left up to the decision of the city hall clerk to admit only the passports as ID (no Alien Registration Card, meaning not residents in Japan).

If you plan to get married in Kyoto, it might be better to find out the city hall where your planned accommodation is located in, and call in advance whether they would accept any report of marriage among two non-Japanese, without New Resident card.

I hope that someone who has gone through this can give you a better answer.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 13:28
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in getting legally married in Japan,..

Not just you, me too! ^_^
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 14:08
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in getting legally married in Japan,..

Not just you, me too! ^_^
by SEA monster

And me too!!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 14:22
Thanks for taking the time to respond - I relent, australia it is. It's too hard.

All the best.
by Raw (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/25 14:52
Two Australian friends of mine got married in Japan, so I wouldn't completely give up on the idea if that is what you wish to do.

They had a Shinto Wedding Ceremony in Japan but I am pretty sure they signed all the legal documents at the Registry Office in Japan. The ceremony and the documentation was co-ordinated by an Australian who was fluent in Japanese and living in Japan at the time.

If you create an account on japan-guide and send me a private message I will try and contact them and get some more information from them if you wish. This was a few years ago so things may have changed.

Good luck!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 19:16
Have you considered marriage registration in Australia, have all documentation completed then plan a 2 weeks for wedding ceremony and honeymoon in Japan?

by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Two Australians legally marrying in Japan 2012/11/25 22:18
sounds goofy IMO unless one of you has some kind of japanese ancestry
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread