Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sendai? 2012/12/2 05:48
Hello. I'll be going to Japan early next year and was looking at a possible day trip to Sendai from Tokyo. Is Sendai worth the trip? According to the Sendai page here there isn't anything with red circles to indicate anything as recommended. Is there any other day trips form Tokyo you can recommend? I'd like to spend part of my trip in an area that's been impacted by the earthquake and tsunami so that I can experience the wonderful towns and people and contribute even a little to the local economies. Thanks.
by D (guest)  

Re: Sendai? 2012/12/2 08:53
Unless you have a special interest in the Date clan, Sendai does not have much to see. Nearby Matsushima is quite nice, though. Even further along the coast is Ishinomaki, a city badly hit by the tsunami from where you can take a boat to Tashirojima, an island with lots of cats - in case you like cats.

About Matsushima:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5100.html

The Tohoku Region has lots of other treasures:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1102.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Sendai? 2012/12/2 09:32
I'd like to spend part of my trip in an area that's been impacted by the earthquake and tsunami so that I can experience the wonderful towns and people and contribute even a little to the local economies.

We went in April this year. There was little evidence of damage in Sendai city itself, although the damage to our family's apartment block in the suburbs was particularly confronting.
We did a trip to Matsushima: and we did the route explained in the link by going part way by train, then by boat.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5105.html
There was considerable damage evident at Hon Shiogama, the boat trip had before and after shots of some of the islands, and there is an excellent explanation of the situation at Matsushima tourist office.
We also wanted to contribute, and our family advised to simply travel, and spend tourist $: which we did. Yummy food in Matsushima!!
When returning to Sendai, sit on the ocean side of the train (Left) and look out for the cars and boats still washed up against the train line on the way back between Matsushima to Hon Shiogama (if they are still there of course); and just wonder at how it must have been.
Enjoy!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Sendai? 2012/12/2 21:07
Thanks for the information. I'm considering my options.
by D (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sendai? 2012/12/2 22:45
I went to Ishinomaki on March 11th this year to commemorate the anniversary and I spent 8 hours in awe of what had happened. Even after a year, there are areas that are totally destroyed. Where houses uses to be, there was only rubble and the foundations. I did find many of those plots had offerings in the form of food, toys or flowers and it was very hard for me not to cry. Needless to say, I failed miserably on many occasions, especially when the siren went off at 2:46pm to mark the time the earthquake struck.

Please go to some of the towns and see them, spend money and help the local economy. I'm planning to return to Ishinomaki next year and I'd like to go to Kesennuma and Kamaishi as well.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Sendai? 2012/12/3 07:59
A daytrip from Tokyo is not doing Sendai full justice IMO. Even without venturing further north into the lovely Tohoku region of which Sendai serves as a convenient gateway, it deserves at least an overnight stay for nearby Yamadera, Matsushima and possibly Akiu Onsen. The following thread has some suggestions on Sendai.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+91000

Do consider incorporating the beautiful region of Tohoku in your itinerary to show support. We are planning a 2-3 week trip next spring solely on Tohoku and hope the cherry blossom will bring new hope to this lovely part of Japan and the people living there.
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread