Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 11:26
We intend to drive from Haneda Airport to Kawaguchiko on 6 Dec 2012. Unfortunately, we learnt that Sasago Tunnel on Chuo Expressway has collapsed.

We are wondering if this will affect our plans and if so, would it be better to take a bus or a train to Kawaguchiko.
by jlng  

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 11:36
The tunnel is not located along the way between Tokyo and Kawaguchiko. It is located not far west of Otsuki Junction, though. The expressway is closed only west of Otsuki, so it is possible to drive all the way to Kawaguchiko. There do not seem to be traffic delays because of it, either. The buses between Shinjuku and Kawaguchiko are not affected by the expressway closure, either, but some other bus lines (e.g. Tokyo-Kofu) are.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 11:49
From Tokyo, the expressway is separated before the accident location. It's even easier to navigate because the route not to Kawaguchiko is closed. Only the correct route is open.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 12:24
by Cante (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 12:30
There are buses from Haneda Airport to Fujisan Station that have an en-route stop in Kawaguchi-ko.

http://hanedabus.jp/timeinfo_e.php?areano=J&routeno=220&busstop1=7422&...

http://hnd-bus.com/route/kawaguchiko.html

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 21:27
Thanks everyone for the very quick response. The hotels at Kawaguchiko have also assured us that the roads to Kawaguchiko will not be affected.
by jlng rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/3 21:34
where can I find out whether are there any tourists involved in the recent collapsed of tunnel as I have relatives that are n Japan now.
by mary2708 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/4 20:40
Everyone who died in the tunnel are Japanese; not all of the names have been released yet, but the circumstances have.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/6 08:26
Does anybody know when the eastbound collapsed tunnel is likely to be open again west of Otsuki Junction?

I guess the westbound tunnels are operating as normal?
For those who don't know, the newer west bound part of the Chuo expressway near Otsuki has not one tunnel, but two tunnels. The west bound expressway splits into "left route" and "right route" for the tunnels.

I was thinking that if necessary, they could somehow change the traffic flow to use one of the tunnels for westbound traffic, but I don't know how practical this would be.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/6 09:00
Does anybody know when the eastbound collapsed tunnel is likely to be open again west of Otsuki Junction?

They currently do not have any reopening date announced, and I can't find anybody who tries to make an estimate:
http://www.c-nexco.co.jp/

I guess the westbound tunnels are operating as normal?

No, the tunnel is closed in both directions. And there is no reopening date mentioned for either direction.

For those who don't know, the newer west bound part of the Chuo expressway near Otsuki has not one tunnel, but two tunnels. The west bound expressway splits into "left route" and "right route" for the tunnels.

That's east of Otsuki. The accident happened west of Otsuki.

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/6 09:03
- when the eastbound collapsed tunnel is likely to be open again

NEXCO Central says it's uncertain but probably next year.

- they could somehow change the traffic flow to use one of the tunnels for westbound traffic

NEXCO Central is preparing to do this.
by c (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/10 08:22
Yesterday it was announced that they plan to-re-open the Tokyo bound tunnel for two-direction traffic before the end of the year.

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/10 14:29
You will be able to bypass the tunnel by driving from Kawaguchiko over Misaka pass to the Misaka- Ichinomiya interchange which is on the other side of the tunnel. Travel time is not much different either.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Mt Fuji and tunnel collapse 2012/12/10 21:17
Hi all. We've completed our driving holiday to the area around Mt Fuji and are back safely in Tokyo. However, each time the hubs drove into a tunnel, I'd instinctively look at the ceiling.
by jlng (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread