Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2012/12/6 15:36
When I was 18 years old I was charged with selling drugs in Canada. In the same year I also got charged with assault. I ended up getting 2 years for my drug charge, and a fine for my assault. I only spent 6 months in a federal prison, and the rest of my sentence was spent outside of prison in society under the watchful eye of my parole officer. As you can see I had a troubled youth. However, since than, about 12 years now, I have went to university, and stayed out of trouble. I am asking this because I have met a lot of Japanese friends who came to visit Vancouver. They are always asking me to come visit Japan, but I heard it was not possible for someone with a record like mine, even though a lot of time has passed.In Canada, we allow people who have been deemed rehabilitated to visit our country, and what i was wondering is if Japan has something similar? I would love to visit Japan to see my old friends, so anyone you can give me regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)
by Htiran (guest)  

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2012/12/6 16:46
According to the immigration laws, at a certain risk you may be rejected to enter the country at the immigrations because of your crime records for drug dealing. You can cheat it to go through, but that could become another crime start.

I am not sure if the recent IC tip set in your passport has such records already. If so, that's a big problem to you.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/6 18:10
There are many past threads on this forum with a variety of advice, information and suggestions. I suggest you enter "Criminal Record" in the search box above and read all of them.

Here's one to get you started
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+27836

I think in general the fact that yours is drug-related may be more of a problem but because you didn't spend more than a year (or two) in prison it still might be possible.

As always with immigration "it depends", and what works for one person may not work for another.

Note that some of the older threads were "pre-fingerprinting". All foreign tourists are now fingerprinted when entering Japan. How much information is on the fingerprint database and what they use it for I'm not exactly sure, but you will find some discussion in past threads.

Good luck.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2012/12/6 18:30
Celebrities have been denied entry into Japan for their past drug offenses. You should expect the same treatment if you tell the truth.

Canada does share their fingerprint data with other countries but I haven't heard about them sharing it with Japan.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2012/12/7 03:22
Is there some "prequalifying" visa that would
give you an indication ? it would be a drag to get that far and be turned away.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2012/12/7 07:55
Did you have your pp after your criminal record? If so then it should be a clean pp.

Have you been to US using pp?
If you passed the borders without any issues, then probably the records were not entered into the Immigration database.

If you enter with visa waiver option, you might be denied entry in Japan.

I recommend that you apply for tourist visa at the Japanese consulate in your state to reduce stress. When visa is approved, you will have no entry problems at Narita.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2017/6/14 13:53
I've been to Japan 4 times most recently in 2015 and have never had a problem and have quite an extensive criminal record in Canada (assault, trafficking cocaine,heroin, PPT growing marijuana, dui, personation). All between ages 18-24. Last conviction was in 2005. Turned my life around after meeting my wife who's from Korea, reason for going to Japan so many times and own a successful construction business now. Always stop in Japan for a few weeks when visiting wife's family in Korea. I always check no for the question ever been charged with a crime on immigration declaration If were to get questioned plan on saying I misread thinking it meant charged in Japan. I could be just lucky but never have had problems in Korea either.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2017/6/15 07:58
I think they don't check this in great details unless the crime is committed in Japan itself, just check 'No' in the arrivel card/visa as the writer stated above, they either let you in or reject you. In my youth time I've a record in stealing, but i've been to Japan 6-7 times no problem, although it's not as serious as drug offence.
by Just traveling (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i visit japan if i have a criminal record 2017/6/15 10:02
Someone mentioned apply for a tourist visa and when you receive there is no problem to enter. Visa doesn't garuentee any entrance. It makes it easier but dicision for decline is at the border.

Having a crime record depends how servers your case is. All air companies have a passenger list and they can be random checked. As long if you are not international wanted you will be fine. Again people think all countries can see each other database without asking permission at court.

So two things can happen you are on the international wanted list, which I doubt. Access dienied
Or you are one of the lucky persons who get screened.

If you tell you have a criminal record you will already be denied because of your drugs history.

by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread