Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dec. 26 - Jan. 7 itinerary and questions 2012/12/7 04:34
Hi all,

The hubby and I are planning a trip to Japan from Dec. 26-Jan.7. The current itinerary is shaping up to be:

12/26-28 Tokyo
12/28-31 Osaka
12/31-1/2 Kyoto
1/2-4 Nagoya
1/4-7 Tokyo

I know the new year isn't necessarily the best time to be in Japan, but we've always wanted to experience a traditional hatsumode.

My questions are:

1. What Kyoto temple would you recommend visiting? Kyoto has so many amazing temples and shrines, and I'm sure they'd all be great. But from your experience, is any one better than the other?

2. We're each planning to bring 1 backpack and 1 small/medium size luggage each with us. Does that sound like too much? My biggest concern is that I know the shinkansen will be fairly packed during those days, so I'm not sure how much room will be available for luggage. And since we're traveling from area to area so much, I'm a little leery of shipping our baggage from A to B. Any suggestions?

3. One of our Japanese friends mentioned that we'd be able to go to our hotels in each city when we arrive and drop off our bags, even if we can't check in yet. Does this sound right?

Thank you all in advance for your help and advice!
by CJ (guest)  

Re: Dec. 26 - Jan. 7 itinerary and questions 2012/12/7 08:42
I recommend to try to make seat reservations for the January 2 trip from Kyoto to Nagoya as soon as you arrive in Japan to avoid standing. Your other long-distance trips should not be excessively crowded, but January 2 is usually very busy in direction of Tokyo.

What Kyoto temple would you recommend visiting?

The ones with three or two red dots:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

We're each planning to bring 1 backpack and 1 small/medium size luggage each with us. Does that sound like too much?

Depends on the size of the backpack. If it is a small one, it seems reasonable. But if it is a big one, I feel it is too much.

One of our Japanese friends mentioned that we'd be able to go to our hotels in each city when we arrive and drop off our bags, even if we can't check in yet. Does this sound right?

Yes, all decent hotels will hold your luggage for a few hours before check-in and after check-out.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/7 09:25
Also, if you haven't booked accommodation yet especially for Kyoto then do say now. I suspect you may struggle even now so you could consider commuting to Kyoto from Osaka if you can't find anywhere within your budget.

What are you planning to do in Nagoya?

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Dec. 26 - Jan. 7 itinerary and questions 2012/12/7 13:52
Thank you both! I appreciate your help. :)

We made all our hotel reservations months ago so we're good there. But I will make sure to do the train reservations as soon as we land. Do you how late the office is open? We're landing about 5ish.

As for Nagoya, we studied abroad there about 7 years ago so we're mostly going to bum around our old haunts, Hehe. Though the hubby did mention Meiji mura.

Thanks again!
by CJ (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/7 15:28
You don't mention which airport you arrive at, but the ticket offices are open until very late at both of them so you will have no issues. If not you can always buy them at a major station in Tokyo.

I assume you don't plan on getting a JR Pass as you seem to make most of your travel over 8 days instead of 7.

Nagoya makes sense now, it seemed too long for a normal tourist!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread