Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Rail pass validation 2012/12/8 10:43
I arrive in Tokyo on 21 Dec and want to book in advance a rail journey to Kyoto on 28 Dec. Would booking a ticket in advance 'activate' my one-week rail pass, or would it not become active until the actual day of travel?
by sue1492 (guest)  

Re: JR Rail pass validation 2012/12/8 16:39
When you exchange your voucher for actual JR Pass, you can make a seat reservation. Dec 28 is one of the busiest days in the year, though.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/8 17:28
Would booking a ticket in advance 'activate' my one-week rail pass,

No. You specify the activation date.

or would it not become active until the actual day of travel?

That's up to you.

You can exchange your exchange order for the actual JR Pass when you arrive (21st) and specify the activation date as the 28th. You can then start making bookings on the 21st for the 28th or any other day in your validity period of the rail pass.

So, if you purchased a 7-day JR Pass you can book as soon as you arrive on the 21st, for the 28th specifying an activation date of the 28th and you can continue to use your JR Pass until 23:59 (11:59pm) on January 3.

Obviously even though you get the actual JR Pass on the 21st you can't use it for travel until the 28th if that is when you set the activation date but you can make bookings as soon as you possess the actual JR Pass.

Hope that is clear!

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail pass validation 2012/12/8 22:17
Many thanks, that is what wanted to know, most helpful.
by sue1492 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread