Schools
-
Member Area

Home - Question Forum
JR Kanto Pass

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/24 10:33
Hi,

I will like to know if JR Kanto Pass will cover my trip from Toyama to Naganoharakusatsuguchi? I know Kanto Pass don't cover Ltd Exp Hakutaka but does it cover JR Agatsuma Line from Takasaki? Also, if I travel with Kanto Pass, do I need to pay unreserved price? I don't think I need to but just to be sure.

If I do not need to pay for unreserved price then I think Kanto pass is a pretty good deal for me.

Thanks in advance.

by Jon (guest)  

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/24 16:57
No, Toyama is far outside the area covered by the JR Kanto Pass! It does cover the trains from Takasaki to Naganohara-Kusatsu-guchi, though:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

Also, if I travel with Kanto Pass, do I need to pay unreserved price? I don't think I need to but just to be sure.

The JR Kanto Pass covers unreserved or reserved seating within the area covered. If you want to use a reserved seat, then you need to make a free seat reservation in advance. Outside the area covered, the pass is invalid.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/24 23:14
Have you checked where Toyama City is?
- http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?q=36.7016333,+137.2133399&hl=en&z=8
Toyama City in Toyama Prefecture is located in Hokuriku sub-region of Chubu Region, about 170 km west-northwest of Takasaki City in Gunma Prefecture in Kanto Region.

JR-West is not issuing a rail pass covering Tsuruga (in Fukui Prefecture) -- Toyama -- Naoestu (in Niigata Prefecture).
Naoestu -- Miyauchi is covered by a JR EAST Pass, but is not covered by a JR Kanto Area Pass issued by JR-East.

How is your full itinerary?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/30 08:04
Thanks for the answers. I will be in Tokyo for 2 weeks and I intend to travel out of Tokyo during this 2 weeks. I plan to vist

tokyo - takayama - Kanazawa - Toyama - kusatsu onsen - Tokyo

I will probably spen a week outside Tokyo and plan to buy a kanto pass when I'm traveling from Toyama to kusatsu onsen to Tokyo. I believe it is worth the money to buy the pass since it covers half the journey from Toyama to kusatsu onsen (not including bus fare) and from kusatsu onsen to Tokyo. And on the next day after returning to Tokyo, I intend to use it to visit Mount Fuji. So I believe it is worth it to have the kanto pass during my trip.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

by Jon (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/30 09:13
tokyo - takayama - Kanazawa - Toyama - kusatsu onsen - Tokyo

How do you plan to go from Takayama to Kanazawa? Do you plan on taking the bus and stopping at Shirakawago?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html

The simple option is to just get a National 7-day JR Pass. Set the activation date as the morning you leave Tokyo for Takayama. Then you can take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya, then Hida Wide View to Takayama. If you bypass Shirakawago then you can use trains from Takayama to Kanazawa (usually via Toyama), or just pay for the buses between. Then Kanazawa to Toyama to Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi. The JR Pass also covers the bus from there to Kusatsu Onsen and back, and then take the Shinkansen from Takasaki back to Tokyo. Obviously you have to get back to Tokyo on the evening of the 7th day of the pass but that sounds fine.

I guess the cheaper alternative is bus to Takayama, bus to Kanazawa, train to Toyama, train/bus to Kusatsu, then bus to Tokyo.

I don't think the JR Kanto Pass is really that useful given your schedule.

Enjoy your trip!

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/30 09:56
Thanks GC3 but I'm a little confuse. With the JR Pass, I can take all the train to all the places in my itinerary? If that's the case then JR pass will be the best choices.

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that the JR Pass does not cover all the train from Tokyo to Takayama and from Kanazawa to Toyama. And yes, I will be taking bus to Kanazawa from Takayama.

Thanks

Re: your itinerary 2012/12/31 00:57
Except for the bus route Takayama -- Shirakawa-go -- Kanazawa, your itinerary can be covered by a nationwide Japan Rail Pass.
Regarding Toyama -- Takasaki, it sounds better to take a "Hakutaka" (running through non-JR Hokuhoku Line) until Echigo-Yuzawa than to use JR Lines only.

How to get to Kusatsu Onsen
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7403.html

(a) NRT {"Narita Express"} Tokyo
(b) Tokyo {Shinkansen "Hikari"} Nagoya {"Hida"} Takayama
(c) Takayama {highway bus} Shirakawa-go {highway bus} Kanazawa
(d) Kanazawa {Local} Toyama {"Hakutaka"} Echigo-Yuzawa {Shinkansen} Takasaki [Takasaki Line] Omiya [Keihin-Tohoku Line] Tokyo
(e) Takasaki {Local} Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi {bus} Kusatsu Onsen
(f) Kusatsu Onsen {bus} Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi {Local} Takasaki
(g) Tokyo -- NRT.

With a special ticket in a one-way Suica & N'EX package and a 7-day JRP,
the cost is estimated to be 35450 yen.
(a) 1500 yen [#1]: special ticket: NRT -- Tokyo
(b) (d) (e) (f) (g) 28300 yen: 7-day Japan Rail Pass
(c) 2400 yen: bus fare: Takayama -- Shirakawa-go
(c) 1800 yen: bus fare: Shirakawa-go -- Kanazawa
(d) 1450 yen: rail fare and Ltd. Exp. charge: [non-JR Hokuhoku Line].
[#1] Another 2000 yen is paid for a Suica Card (1500 yen as e-money + 500 yen as deposit).

If 7 days may be not enough to do (b) (c) (d), another option is a combination of a roundtrip Suica & N'EX package and regular tickets.
The cost is estimated to be 36470 to 37670 yen (not including 2000 yen for a Suica Card) if you do (b) Tokyo -- Takayama on a day.
A base-fare ticket for (d) Kanazawa -- Tokyo is valid for 4 calendar days.
e.g.
Day 2: Tokyo to Takayama;
Days 3 and 4: Takayama;
Day 5: Shirakawa-go;
Day 6: Kanazawa;
Day 7: Toyama;
Day 8: Kusatsu Onsen;
Day 9: Kusatsu Onsen to Tokyo.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/31 01:40
Thanks GC3 but I'm a little confuse.

No worries.

With the JR Pass, I can take all the train to all the places in my itinerary?

Yes. Although note the small surcharge (1450 yen) mentioned by Omotenashi if you elect to use the Hakutaka Limited Express. Note that you can avoid paying the surcharge by using other trains but they will take longer to get you there.

If that's the case then JR pass will be the best choices.

I think so.

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that the JR Pass does not cover all the train from Tokyo to Takayama

It does assuming you take an Hikari Shinkansen to Nagoya and continue on as mentioned. I have personally done this trip myself using a JR Pass.

and from Kanazawa to Toyama.

Also fully covered by the JR Pass.

And yes, I will be taking bus to Kanazawa from Takayama.

Cool.

As per usual Omotenashi has provided some useful extra detail for you too.

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/31 09:47
Thanks all for your valuable answer. JP Rail it is. I will be taking the limousine bus as I will be staying in Sheraton Miyako and it will be alot easier for me.

Actually I will be in Tokyo from 9 April 2013 to 22 April 2013. I will be going to Takayama from Tokyo from 13 April 2013. Yes, I'm going there for the Spring festival. I believe I have to reserve my seats looking that there will be alot of people heading that way and the 1st day of the festival is on Sunday.

I will probably arrive in Toyama on 16 April 2013. Yes, I'm going to do the Alpine route though not all the way to Matsumoto. Just want to experience the snow corridor. Btw, when will they announce the opening of the corridor? A week before? I understand that it has been always 16 or 17 April depending on weather but it has been constantly between this 2 dates.

I will probably reach Kusatsu Onsen on 18 April 2013.

I guess that's pretty much it. The rest of the trip will be around Tokyo and I'm pretty familiar with Tokyo.

... 2012/12/31 13:33
Thanks all for your valuable answer.

No worries.

JP Rail it is.

Obviously you have to purchase the 7-day JR Pass before you come to Japan, unlike the JR Kanto Pass which can be purchased in Japan.

I will be going to Takayama from Tokyo from 13 April 2013. Yes, I'm going there for the Spring festival.

I assume you have booked your accommodation already?

I believe I have to reserve my seats looking that there will be alot of people heading that way and the 1st day of the festival is on Sunday.

Yes. Note that you can start making your train reservations as soon as you exchange the voucher for the actual JR Pass, even if this is before your first activation date.

ie. exchange voucher for JR Pass at Narita on April 9.
Set activation date as April 13 when you exchange.
On April 9, at Narita, make a booking from Tokyo to Nagoya to Takayama for April 13.

If the staff are busy at Narita they may ask you to make the booking elsewhere, so just do so at another station in Tokyo that day or on the 10th.

I will probably reach Kusatsu Onsen on 18 April 2013.

Seems fine then. I'm not sure on the timing of the announcement for Murodo.

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/31 13:38
Thanks GC3.

Oh yes, I have already book my accomodation though its a little expensive due to the festival.

And thanks for the tips on the seat reservation. I will be arriving to Tokyo via Haneda, early morning 5am. Doubt the JR desk will be opened at that time so I plan to exchange my pass at one of the major train station.

Thanks again

... 2012/12/31 13:42
Doubt the JR desk will be opened at that time so I plan to exchange my pass at one of the major train station.

It won't be. Shinagawa is from 9am or Tokyo from 7:30am but there is probably no real rush so just do it sometime that day I guess.

Opening times here:-
http://japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

Re: JR Kanto Pass 2012/12/31 13:50
Thanks again.

BTW since I'm a big [ダウンタウンのガキの使いやあらへんで!!] fan, wish all fans and everyone a Happy New Year!!

罰ゲーム スタート!!! I mean at 6.30pm today in Japan. :)

Cheers!

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages
Message Boards
  Question Forum
  Travel Reports

Classified Ads
  Friends
  Language Schools
  Language Tutors
  Language Exchange
  Accommodation
  Travel Guide
  Other Services
  Moving Sales
  Events

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - 広告について - advertising