Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Locks on luggage 2012/12/27 21:59
Hey everyone!

I'm heading to Japan (and overseas!) for the first time in about a month.
Just wondering, what's the best method of security for luggage? Some people are saying that if you put a lock on your bags, it almost acts as a sign to thieves. I'd like to lock my luggage because i want to bring back some kitchen knives.

Thanks for any help!
by Anthorien  

Re: Locks on luggage 2012/12/28 10:26
If your luggage has coil type zippers, you need to lock the pulls to something - while not any more protective, at least you can tell if someone has opened it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCwmYQRTrg

Most luggage locks can be easily forced open anyway - but would probably stop an opportunist thief. It all depends on the type of luggage you have. Hard-sided with lockable clasps/luggage strap are pretty safe - but if someone wants to break in, nothing is going to stop them. Some countries (mostly USA) require you to leave luggage unlocked in transit or only using approved locks to which they have a master key, otherwise they will just break them open to search.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2012/12/28 10:50
At least in Japan, you don't really need to lock your luggage especially if it will always be in your posession. It will provide a deterrent to casual theft, and although Japan is relatively crime free, it is better safe than sorry.

I would however be wary of the baggage handlers at the airports in your home country. That is probably the most vulnerable point of the entire trip. So use a TSA approved lock on your luggage and look into travel insurance if you will be purchasing a lot of expensive knives.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2012/12/28 14:09
We always lock our luggage: use the logic it is easier for a thief to go for an unlocked piece than a locked one...no doubt flawed logic, but the one we use.
And the wrap-around zips need something to connect them anyway.
I also fully agree with the comment about baggage handlers ....in Australia, irrespective of theft, the way bags are damaged coming off planes and thrown onto the carousels here makes locks essential....
Make sure you declare the knives on return to Australia.
Have no fear re Japan: extremely safe and honest.
Enjoy!! Especially the fun of choosing knives! One of our favourite pastimes!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2012/12/28 17:26
Locks are highly recommended. Japan is pretty good at securing your property at the airport. Although a lock won't really stop someone from getting into your luggage, at least it gives you a peace of mind having "some" sort of security.
by Masashi808 rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2013/1/4 11:57
Thanks for all the responses and great information!
I just checked our travel insurance and we're covered for up to $5,000. I hope that I won't need to use it.
I am sooo excited about buying some Japanese knives!
by Anthorien rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2013/1/25 22:36
The Travel Sentry and Safe Skies luggage locks simply don't work, and the TSA and other security agencies just cut them off your luggage anyway. They're cheap and nasty. Plus, these locks can be picked with a bent paper clip. I bought a ClipLok recently from here:

www.origineering.com.au

The system works brilliantly. Highly recommended :-)
by MillionMiler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Locks on luggage 2013/1/26 05:54
I travel a lot and always lock my luggage. Some times i use that green plastic in the airport and stickers to detect any sign of damage/open.

Also, i use only certified lock (TSA), because with that lock the international police can open your luggage with their tools without destroying the lock itself.

Actually idk if that TSA lock is true, but traveling from Chile to Us and Ny to Las Vegas they did separated my luggages with locks, all TSA one side, big yellow lock "hulk style" other side.

wikipedia:
The TSA is allowed to open and search air passengers' luggage for security screening in the U.S.[27] They are also allowed to cut open, destroy, or otherwise disable locks during a search.

Travel Sentry, Inc. is a company that establishes and manages standards used in travel security. It neither makes nor sells products. It created the TSA Lock concept used by the Transportation Security Administration, a part of the Department of Homeland Security.
by resetme rate this post as useful

reply to this thread